Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fair to suggest that foreign companies who supply products (and services) into the UK, regardless of where those products are manufactured, wont have sympathy for the fact that some of them are actually made in the UK using UK materials. And whilst some of those companies may (or mostly may not) feel sorry that the Pound has tanked, business is business and their profitability forecasts and their survival are based on a series of forecasts and assumptions, when those things change, pricing must also change, it's called inflation so get used to it.

" I don't really buy the EU laws issue either. What law specifically are you against. To me, EU laws have worked to protect workers rights and protect the environment. "

To me it seems like EU lawmakers were searching for things to do to justify their existence:giggle:

Over the last decade Brussels has made between 1,000 and 2,000 laws every year 
2. It's illegal to eat your pet horse
In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses after staggering figures revealed that around two million pet horses are eaten across the EU each year.  

That's actually a sensible law given what happened...
067e5ebf3f1621977d0e0cdcbcd04e3d.jpg

Of course the motor industry could help - steel - so most of the steel is imported and the cars exported - until Brexit when the production of cars will drop and there is no money to invest in steel but we won't need so much anyway - so what a good idea to leave the EU!

34 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I think it's fair to suggest that foreign companies who supply products (and services) into the UK, regardless of where those products are manufactured, wont have sympathy for the fact that some of them are actually made in the UK using UK materials. And whilst some of those companies may (or mostly may not) feel sorry that the Pound has tanked, business is business and their profitability forecasts and their survival are based on a series of forecasts and assumptions, when those things change, pricing must also change, it's called inflation so get used to it.

And then there's using brexit as an excuse for an unneccesarily large price hike, as Unilever have tried (and so far failed) to do.

44 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

In addition to the court case it is possible that article 50 may go to the European Scrutiny Committee , where they could recommend a full debate

But if the UK government strings the ESC along until Article 50 is invoked, what legal standing would the ESC have in the matter, going forward from Article 50?

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

And then there's using brexit as an excuse for an unneccesarily large price hike, as Unilever have tried (and so far failed) to do.

There you go yet again, introducing quasi political terms into a simple business trading scenario based on economics 101, did you think the Pound fell because it was feeling faint or was there a reason why - heads up, it fell because the population voted to change the known trading patterns of the UK for an otherwise unknown and the rest of the financial/investment world thought that was daft.

39 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

There you go yet again, introducing quasi political terms into a simple business trading scenario based on economics 101, did you think the Pound fell because it was feeling faint or was there a reason why - heads up, it fell because the population voted to change the known trading patterns of the UK for an otherwise unknown and the rest of the financial/investment world thought that was daft.

And there you go again with a total diversion from the point I was making.

35 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

How would it do that

What I'm asking is (and I don't know the answer): if the UK govenment challenged the ESC (even if, say, just delaying a discussion with it) up to the time of invoking Article 50, what would the situation be going forward?

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

And there you go again with a total diversion from the point I was making.

This is like debating things with children but far less fun, I think I'll go paint something so I can watch it dry!

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Optimistic about the high court case about whether section 50 requires parliamentary approval. May be, just may be, there is a chance of a sensible way forward to everyone's benefit.

Switzerland needs to negotiate a new deal. Is it possible the EU will see sense and compromise to avoid a brittle fracture?

Why can't you just accept the majourity and democratic will of the people. You are sounding  full of sour grapes.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

This is like debating things with children but far less fun, I think I'll go paint something so I can watch it dry!

chiang mai: The poster who claims to have accepted brexit and only wants to discuss things going forward, but endlessly makes posts complaining about past events. The poster who chides brexiters for being confrontational when they challenge the insults thrown at them by remainers, but who throws plenty of insults about himself and is usually the first to 'like' insults by fellow remainers. The poster who is quite unable to answer a simple point with a simple, ontopic-to-the-quoted-post reply. The poster who complains that it's like debating with children. :coffee1:

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Why can't you just accept the majourity and democratic will of the people. You are sounding  full of sour grapes.

Which part of, "" there is a chance of a sensible way forward to everyone's benefit", was not clear!.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

chiang mai: The poster who claims to have accepted brexit and only wants to discuss things going forward, but endlessly makes posts complaining about past events. The poster who chides brexiters for being confrontational when they challenge the insults thrown at them by remainers, but who throws plenty of insults about himself and is usually the first to 'like' insults by fellow remainers. The poster who is quite unable to answer a simple point with a simple, ontopic-to-the-quoted-post reply. The poster who complains that it's like debating with children. :coffee1:

Poor baby, get over it and move on!

I'm investing in Marmite futures. Could be a good hedge against a collapsing GBP. I am reliably informed that the ingredients at e free, the brewers pay to have the yeast extract steam cleaned from the beer plants. Labour costs 10 quid a day according to my mate. Main cost is luxury packaging!

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Why cant you understand the entirely rational

points I am making?

I want you to be happy, Gravy, really I do.

I think you can be happy without trashing the entire country. Really, it's possible. What's your view if EFTA for example?

As for grapes, I love grapes. Looking forward to some Trockenbeerenauslese!

16 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Why cant you understand the entirely rational

points I am making?

I want you to be happy, Gravy, really I do.

I think you can be happy without trashing the entire country. Really, it's possible. What's your view if EFTA for example?

As for grapes, I love grapes. Looking forward to some Trockenbeerenauslese!

Why don't we have another referendum. lets say best out of three or even 5. Lets have one until you get your right answer like the Irish did. Do you know how sad and desperate you sound.

I don't agree with your points or rationale. Simple. Deal with it.

58 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Unfortunately, they're all a bit like that. Fanciful, zero patriotism, ever so 'slightly' hypocritical,  a little bit green and very wet behind the ears. They could say come back in, all is forgiven, the pound will be 60 baht, or stay out and have 30... I would take the latter with glee, thanks. 

Why don't we have another referendum. lets say best out of three or even 5. Lets have one until you get your right answer like the Irish did. Do you know how sad and desperate you sound.

I don't agree with your points or rationale. Simple. Deal with it.

Wait a minute, for 40 years EU moaners have been going on and on about EU this or the other. Are you suggesting that Anti-Brexiters just say nothing and accept whatever is thrown at them? Are they just suppose to let the fascist right wing faction of the Torys change the way we live the next xx years and just say nothing? Doesn't sound very democratic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

What I'm asking is (and I don't know the answer): if the UK govenment challenged the ESC (even if, say, just delaying a discussion with it) up to the time of invoking Article 50, what would the situation be going forward?

The government dont challenge the ESC, the power lies in the scrutiny reserve which prevents the government acting ( unless there is a specific overriding reason ), the following  gives a better explanation

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/eu-select-committee-/committee-work/parliament-2015/the-scrutiny-reserve-resolution-and-scrutiny-overrides/

Now for the ESC, here is the parliamentary guide, pdf

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/european-scrutiny/European-Scrutiny-Committee-Guide-May15.pdf

The issue does article 50 fall intp the scope in particular pages 4 and 5 items (ii), (vi), if so then  it can request a full debate  and issue a scrutiny reserve.

What should be noted  is the ESC is predominately eurosceptic and in the past been weak in its scrutinizing role. However with the government front bench appearing hell  bent on alienating parliament who knows what the ESC approach will be

10 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Ah, ok. It's a spelling contest now. Let's see how that pans out.

Anyway, the important thing is, you got a 'like' from Mr 'it's like debating things with children' :laugh:.

Oh, come on - on a depressing day, that was pretty funny...

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Ah, ok. It's a spelling contest now. Let's see how that pans out.

Anyway, the important thing is, you got a 'like' from Mr 'it's like debating things with children' :laugh:.

Dont be so bloody silly. You think I'm a spelling Nazi?! It was humour! HUMOUR! Do you get that? If not, consider yourself Han Solo. Jesus....