Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

16 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Here in the UK a lot of people are celebrating as if they had won the lottery , they see nothing but golden times ahead. After a year or so of rising inflation and the Spanish holiday proving rather expensive , reality will start to kick in.

Taking back control of the power to make the countries decisions and having the ability to vote in or out people making them, is golden times. 40 years and the EU has slowly strangled the UK from its own powers and identity. Yes it might be a rocky time ahead. this is were many just don't get it. At least we can make our own mistakes. The government of the day should be putting laws and practices into place for the benefit of British people. This is what the current government seem to be saying from this weeks conference and statements. The first time I can say that and with some regret, it is a tory one.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There may well be considerable long term benefits from Brexit , only time will tell. However this thread concerns the weakness of Sterling , and by extension the UK economy.

There are a lot of people who expect , from next thursday week , an immediate upturn in their personal fortunes , I feel they might be somewhat dissapointed.

58 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Taking back control of the power to make the countries decisions and having the ability to vote in or out people making them, is golden times. 40 years and the EU has slowly strangled the UK from its own powers and identity. Yes it might be a rocky time ahead. this is were many just don't get it. At least we can make our own mistakes. The government of the day should be putting laws and practices into place for the benefit of British people. This is what the current government seem to be saying from this weeks conference and statements. The first time I can say that and with some regret, it is a tory one.

Please read my posts

I remember the heady days of 92 baht to the pound!  Anyway as has been said already the fall in the pound has helped exports enormously.  Unfortunately the flip side of that is that everything that the UK imports is more expensive.  It will take time to hit the high street but it will.  So it's swings and roundabouts as always with these things.  Truth is what happens next is unknown and depends very much on the "negotiations"  There are no short term fixes here   Those who are shouting success are jumping the gun somewhat.

30 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I remember the heady days of 92 baht to the pound!  Anyway as has been said already the fall in the pound has helped exports enormously.  Unfortunately the flip side of that is that everything that the UK imports is more expensive.  It will take time to hit the high street but it will.  So it's swings and roundabouts as always with these things.  Truth is what happens next is unknown and depends very much on the "negotiations"  There are no short term fixes here   Those who are shouting success are jumping the gun somewhat.

Notwithstanding the expat wannabe UK Prime Ministers on this thread mumbling to themselves that their declining pound is good for them, sterling still sliding. Keep taking the tablets chaps.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:49 PM, carstenp said:

It's not fun to be a expat right now in Thailand :shock1:

Yes it is!!

Repatriate my savings at 45 vs 55 vs 70 as it was..

My dosh is worth so much more back in the UK now!!

The shoe's on the other foot now!

On 10/4/2016 at 5:12 PM, Grouse said:

Once again, just to keep the bloody Conservatives happy. Mrs May spouts off and drives down Sterling without any comfort such as a strategy. There was no reason to make such a bald statement right now. Stick to scone recipes. 

Meanwhile, the numpties will be grinning aimlessly and running around cheering! Just great....

Fact: the pound has been going down against all major currencies since the Brexit vote, and 16% against the Baht. That has been going on for months, nothing to do with what Mrs May did or did not say. Her latest statement drove it further down by an amount that needs a microscope to be seen in the general picture.

11 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Fact: the pound has been going down against all major currencies since the Brexit vote, and 16% against the Baht. That has been going on for months, nothing to do with what Mrs May did or did not say. Her latest statement drove it further down by an amount that needs a microscope to be seen in the general picture.

Can nobody get anything right?

1.30 was the previous floor. Now the corks out at 1.27.

2.5% is non-trivial IMHO

Look at the charts for goodness sake....

Don't give up your day job

I enjoyed Mother Teresa's speech a few mins ago; I paid little attention to her before becoming PM and was sceptical of her leading the party despite being an alleged remainer...

Its early days yet but there's a hint of Maggie about her & she had leadership by the cwt .

On 4/10/2559 at 6:19 PM, howerde said:

Just transfered  money  a touch over 42 baht to the £    :sad:     at this rate i'll have to drink  Leo/chang/acha,  next stop the gutter

Yeah! Not good news for Brits who get a pension from the UK and have to convert this to Baht. You might have to start making your own beer instead of buying it. Some German Friend will probably know how. They are born with that skill set. 

the US $ was crazy high in the 80s  it was up to 3 ,50 DM and I think the UK pound was $1.10 or so ......

but then it went the other way and was 1.30 DM and about $2 for a UK pound......

Great way to make a profit if you have the balls for it :)

3 minutes ago, BKKdreaming said:

the US $ was crazy high in the 80s  it was up to 3 ,50 DM and I think the UK pound was $1.10 or so ......

but then it went the other way and was 1.30 DM and about $2 for a UK pound......

With balls you mean crystal balls, right?

13 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

It has been going down since the brexit referendum and continues to fall.  It is not predicted to stop falling any time soon.  Not quite sure what your point is?

3 hours ago, dunroaming said:

It has been going down since the brexit referendum and continues to fall.  It is not predicted to stop falling any time soon.  Not quite sure what your point is?

It's worth noting that GBP has been falling against USD for at least ten years when it was over 2.0, Brexit was nothing more than a step change and an accelerator of the existing process of decline.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?YA=1&C1=GBP&C2=USD&A=1&YYYY1=1990&MM1=01&DD1=01&YYYY2=2016&MM2=10&DD2=06&LANG=en

20 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I suggest you read mine and IClaudius post once again, S L O W L Y this time.

OK, i claudius, like myself, voted to leave. How about you? It would be really awesome if we had our very own Three Brexiteers right here on TV.

8 hours ago, BKKdreaming said:

8 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

With balls you mean crystal balls, right?

I think he means testicles... but your assumption would make more sense.

20 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Personally I prefer to listen to Prof Michael Dougan who says otherwise and that the UK Parliament is supreme in the matter of law making but I guess he is just one of those pesky experts so what does he know about it.

Well only in the paper today the prime minister says and as she is the leader of the country, I imagine she is the leading expert on who makes laws and who doesn't.

On repealing the 1972 European Communities Act

“Our laws will be made not in Brussels but in Westminster. The judges interpreting those laws will sit not in Luxembourg but in courts in this country. The authority of EU law in Britain will end.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/05/theresa-may-patriotic-speech-conservative-party-conference-live/

Checkmate!

10 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well only in the paper today the prime minister says

“Our laws will be made not in Brussels but in Westminster. The judges interpreting those laws will sit not in Luxembourg but in courts in this country. The authority of EU law in Britain will end.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/05/theresa-may-patriotic-speech-conservative-party-conference-live/

Checkmate!

You missed the point.

Sovereignty is to be returned to the EXECUTIVE (i.e. The Tory government), NOT PARLIAMENT!

I don't believe you understand the exiting situation fully. Please read up on this; my posts yesterday shed some light.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'll bet you are against any EU regulations relating to employment, environment, food and drugs? Watch what happens now.

The cartoonist will have a field day!

Bob Cratchit will be on a zero hours contract!

No I never missed the point. I get the point. We see it differently. The UK did fine before the EU and will do fine after the EU.

Once again you are wrong. I am not against any EU regulation. Some yes.

People are under the impression  and wrongly so, that the EU has made the UK a better place and modern. In fact it is the other way around. The UK had many great things in place before the EU with better pensions, benefits related to earnings to name just a few.

As the prime minster pointed out as others have too the EU can stifle and hinder the UK progress with many laws. I agree with the UK getting rid of the European Human rights law. Soldiers getting took to the cleaners and put in prison for doing their job.

The UK can't deport the hate preachers and terrorists due to this pathetic law. Well I am one that is overjoyed. The EU will try its best to punish the UK for getting out of its club. It is a price worth paying for sovereignty. My grandmother use to tell me that times were hard during the wars 'but it was worth it to be free' she always said. I agree and it is a price all my friends and I are willing to pay to be free of the tyranny and corruption of the EU fat cats telling us what we have to do.

I am against Zero hour contracts and I know those who are on them are too.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No I never missed the point. I get the point. We see it differently. The UK did fine before the EU and will do fine after the EU.

Once again you are wrong. I am not against any EU regulation. Some yes.

People are under the impression  and wrongly so, that the EU has made the UK a better place and modern. In fact it is the other way around. The UK had many great things in place before the EU with better pensions, benefits related to earnings to name just a few.

As the prime minster pointed out as others have too the EU can stifle and hinder the UK progress with many laws. I agree with the UK getting rid of the European Human rights law. Soldiers getting took to the cleaners and put in prison for doing their job.

The UK can't deport the hate preachers and terrorists due to this pathetic law. Well I am one that is overjoyed. The EU will try its best to punish the UK for getting out of its club. It is a price worth paying for sovereignty. My grandmother use to tell me that times were hard during the wars 'but it was worth it to be free' she always said. I agree and it is a price all my friends and I are willing to pay to be free of the tyranny and corruption of the EU fat cats telling us what we have to do.

I am against Zero hour contracts and I know those who are on them are too.

You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong ?

You gotta laugh at these people who claim "Britain was great before the EU and will be great without it".

Firstly, the world was very different back then. No real trading blocks and business was done sovereign country to sovereign country.

Secondly, the post war generation had experienced true hardship and actually had a work ethic. Not like today's feckless generation with an entitlement complex.

Today's world is very different due to globalization. Trading is now done between trading blocks, or, agreements amongst many countries.

If sovereignty is more important to you than economics, then fair enough, but, make no mistake, times are going to get tough. A lot tougher than they are now.

I have to laugh at those who think the EU is an economic powerhouse. 3 or 4 of the countries involved are holding the 20plus others afloat. The UK is one of them. Yes sovereignty is important, as it allows us the opportunity to choose who we can trade and do business with. The EU stifles that. So eventually the UK will be fine. Yes it was great and still can be. Look at the inventions, the laws and a whole lot of things that the UK has given the world. It is not one of feeling superior just pride and being patriotic. The EU is hell bent on removing countries individual identities. Globalisation can still work but it doesn't have to and shouldn't require for everyone to be the same. The same culture, the same rhetoric.

People universally have a feeling of belonging to their culture and beliefs. the EU has tried to diminish that. So once again I am ecstatic that the UK is leaving the EU. If difficult times are ahead so be it. Better than selling your soul to the devil (EU)

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have to laugh at those who think the EU is an economic powerhouse. 3 or 4 of the countries involved are holding the 20plus others afloat. The UK is one of them. Yes sovereignty is important, as it allows us the opportunity to choose who we can trade and do business with. The EU stifles that. So eventually the UK will be fine. Yes it was great and still can be. Look at the inventions, the laws and a whole lot of things that the UK has given the world. It is not one of feeling superior just pride and being patriotic. The EU is hell bent on removing countries individual identities. Globalisation can still work but it doesn't have to and shouldn't require for everyone to be the same. The same culture, the same rhetoric.

People universally have a feeling of belonging to their culture and beliefs. the EU has tried to diminish that. So once again I am ecstatic that the UK is leaving the EU. If difficult times are ahead so be it. Better than selling your soul to the devil (EU)

You are entitled to your delusions!

I note you STILL miss the executive/parliament point. Look it up

38 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You gotta laugh at these people who claim "Britain was great before the EU and will be great without it".

Firstly, the world was very different back then. No real trading blocks and business was done sovereign country to sovereign country.

Secondly, the post war generation had experienced true hardship and actually had a work ethic. Not like today's feckless generation with an entitlement complex.

Today's world is very different due to globalization. Trading is now done between trading blocks, or, agreements amongst many countries.

If sovereignty is more important to you than economics, then fair enough, but, make no mistake, times are going to get tough. A lot tougher than they are now.

"Secondly, the post war generation had experienced true hardship and actually had a work ethic. Not like today's feckless generation with an entitlement complex."

It is the post war generation running the show now and making a complete backside of things, seemingly. It is also the post war generation who had free health, universities  (my Ma told me she was paid to attend) and final salary pensions, all of which they want removed now it might affect their bottom line, the selfish ba$tards.

Who would want to be a youngster making a start in life these days by comparison?

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well only in the paper today the prime minister says and as she is the leader of the country, I imagine she is the leading expert on who makes laws and who doesn't.

Checkmate!

I gather you don't play chess.

" I imagine she is the leading expert on who makes laws and who doesn't." If you had bothered to watch the Prof Michael Dougan videos you would note that he is often called in by HM government for advice on EU law.

As he states so often in these videos any law treaty edict etc emanating for the council of ministers and or the EU parliament must be approved by the UK Parliament before it comes into UK Law. The UK Parliament is supreme and always has been on such matters.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

OK, i claudius, like myself, voted to leave. How about you? It would be really awesome if we had our very own Three Brexiteers right here on TV.

Can I join your gang please as I voted to leave too?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong ?

So are you, even if you are wrong too.

Archived