Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

15 minutes ago, baboon said:

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I hear the same thing on the likes of LBC radio. After all, who would vote to impoverish themselves?

Who would vote to remain under the control of an unelected and unaccountable foreign parliament who's accounts have never been audited?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grouse said:

And me

I actually travelled back specifically and voted in person and of course lost.

During a 5 week stay, travelling all over the country, I did not meet one person that admitted to voting leave. I guess they were just embarrassed!

I can assume you must be from London, Scotland, N. Ireland or a few spots in Wales, not withstanding the Luvvy counties. I experienced the exact opposite and didn't encounter one remainer. Two examples for those who don't like the express.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Maybe go and travel a little further and you would have encountered one of the 17 plus million that did vote leave.

Now I have seen your post where you travelled Grouse the Map on the first link speaks for itself.

Slightly off topic but will affect Sterling.

(Worthy of new thread methinks)

Amber Rudd, the new Home Secretary is calling for UK companies to list all foreign born employees! Sounds like the start of a facist state. Maybe they should list all Muslim employees? Or Jewish employees?

She also wants to "clamp down" on foreign students! What a damn stupid idea. The UK punches well above it's weight in university education and foreign students are an important source both of future entrepreneurs and employees not to mention business contacts

Finally, increasing the number of physicians by training up more Brits is clearly a good thing; Saying to existing European physicians that there tenure is temporary is foolish.

All the above will be looked on with disdain by the markets.

16 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I can assume you must be from London, Scotland, N. Ireland or a few spots in Wales, not withstanding the Luvvy counties. I experienced the exact opposite and didn't encounter one remainer. Two examples for those who don't like the express.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Maybe go and travel a little further and you would have encountered one of the 17 plus million that did vote leave.

Now I have seen your post where you travelled Grouse the Map on the first link speaks for itself.

I am a Yorkshireman, so wrong again!

Born in Middlesborough, went to school in Sheffield; it was a long walk, but worth it!

27 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Who would vote to remain under the control of an unelected and unaccountable foreign parliament who's accounts have never been audited?

Do your self a favour and read up on the EU

Clearly room for improved accounting and increased democracy though.

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

"Can't people see that this is just a ploy to scare the UK people into a last ditch attempt in keeping the UK in the EU. Lets see where the Pound is in a few months".

I've heard that mantra before somewhere, several months ago, doubtless I'll be hearing it again many times, over the coming years! The Life of Brian and the Black Night analogy is appropriate here, "it's only a scratch", he said!

Maybe I'll find down the way to be free, 

free to be me

Black Night is a long way from home.

yup, great analogy!

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Plus the utter carnage that a series of interest rates hikes, needed to deal with that inflation, doesn't bare thinking about.

Interest rate hikes? now that sounds good to me , bring it on

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Do yourself one and stop telling the majority they were; 

a) wrong

Jingoism aside, is there anything you can point to that suggests that Brexit was anything other than folly? Personally, as an expat paid in GBP, I have lost thousands as a result of Brexit, and the only financial indicators I see are negative. What good has Brexit done me?

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Jingoism aside, is there anything you can point to that suggests that Brexit was anything other than folly? Personally, as an expat paid in GBP, I have lost thousands as a result of Brexit, and the only financial indicators I see are negative. What good has Brexit done me?

Apart from your uprated pension if you stay put (Manila!).

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Apart from your uprated pension if you stay put (Manila!).

My state or company pension? I haven't paid voluntary NI contributions for about 10 years so I am not expecting much if anything from the state.

My company pension, however, is sufficiently far enough away that it doesn't help with the here and now.

Can't people see that this is just a ploy to scare the UK people into a last ditch attempt in keeping the UK in the EU. Lets see where the Pound is in a few months. All the doomsday preppers like those who believed the end of the world was coming, countless times, will have committed suicide or realized it was a big hoax. The banks are manipulating the markets, to scare the UK people. Once again lets see where we are in a few months.

Look at the interview from Le Pen. Yes its in the express but also other places. I refuse to quote the bias BBC This could be the next French President and I have to say she talks sense.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/718915/Marine-Le-Pen-Brexit-BBC-interview-France

“Because the British economy is doing much better now than it was doing yesterday. 
“And it’s doing so much better than the economy of all the other EU countries together."

She like the rest of Europe are the new voice and she is French and more optimistic than the labourites and remainers. Merlkel and Hollande will be gone. I m looking forward to the coming months, as I see the future that  is rosy and not glum.

Get off your high horse. Nobody wants you in the EU. The sooner you get out the better. EU doesn't need you and never did.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

ans,, None.
And once WE LEAVE it will get a whole lot worse. Think sterlings weak now dont think we've seen anything yet..

11 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Get off your high horse. Nobody wants you in the EU. The sooner you get out the better. EU doesn't need you and never did.

While I understand your sentiment, please bear in mind that the referendum passed with a very small majority - even then there was a sizeable minority who were pro-EU. As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the result might be very different were it to be run today. Also - once Scotland breaks from the UK, we want to come back into the fold as quickly as possible!

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

While I understand your sentiment, please bear in mind that the referendum passed with a very small majority - even then there was a sizeable minority who were pro-EU. As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the result might be very different were it to be run today. Also - once Scotland breaks from the UK, we want to come back into the fold as quickly as possible!

You have missed the bus RR, the UK has voted to leave, it still hasn't sunk in yet?

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think Charles de Gaulle was correct when he stated the UK wasnt committed to the EU .

The UK championed both the single market and EU enlargement whist laying the results of failed domestic policies at the EU door.

What seems to be being ignored is that the UK hasn't left the EU, and hasn't even officially asked to leave the EU. 

The terms and conditions of leaving are completely opaque: nobody knows what they are, or what effects they will have. The economic results will not even begin to kick in until the terms have been negotiated.

My view is that it will be a sustained and marked reduction in standard of living for everyone. Not a collapse or an apocalypse,  just everyone will be noticeably worse off in their daily lives. It will be affordable, but more difficult, and this will go on for a pretty long period.  

However I have no economic or financial knowledge whatsoever so I hope I'm wrong.

However I am lucky enough to be eligible to apply for an Irish passport, so the Brexiteers can't kick me out of the EU...

18 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

You have missed the bus RR, the UK has voted to leave, it still hasn't sunk in yet?

I will refer you to an interview David Davis gave in 1996

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/14/david-davies-on-the-eu-brexit-and-referendums-in-1996/

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

(Reply to 'low flier' @ 246):

Do yourself one and stop telling the majority they were; 

a) wrong and

b  ) how to think!

You are wrong on both counts

a) I did not say you were wrong. I implied with good justification that you are poorly informed about how the EU operates

B) I did not tell you how to think. You can think what you look like (typo there but I'll leave it just for fun!)

?

42 minutes ago, vogie said:

I assure you that it has well and truly sunk in, to the tune of a few thousand rials, which I am losing because of it. By the look of things, I will lose even more at the end of this month, and all for what? A teetering economy and a rise in xenophobia?

I assure you that it has well and truly sunk in, to the tune of a few thousand rials, which I am losing because of it. By the look of things, I will lose even more at the end of this month, and all for what? A teetering economy and a rise in xenophobia?

Brexiters get offended when you mention xenophobia or racism. Brexit has given them the license to come out of the closet and say what they have thought all their lives, that for some unknown reason they are better and superior to all things foreign. I do believe it's a generational occurrence and this is the last of the people living in the past. In 30 years I hope more open minded people will be in charge of the country.

4 hours ago, baboon said:

Really? Goes to show what you know, just like those dullards on the news threads who assume that if you dislike the junta you support Thaksin. How foolish of anyone to ask questions in order to further their understanding over an issue, eh?

What we know is that Brexit has given sterling expats a 12% hit to their income. Running around gesticulating about everything else under the sun is just a little amusement for the rest of us.

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

an utmost ridiculous question! 13,266,996 Brits voted to remain.

30 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

What we know is that Brexit has given sterling expats a 12% hit to their income. Running around gesticulating about everything else under the sun is just a little amusement for the rest of us.

I wish it was only 12% .....  from 52 down to 43

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

Brexiters get offended when you mention xenophobia or racism. 

Calling people names can cause them to get offended .

Calling a person a racist when they are nor racist may cause them to take offence at your allegation

The EU doesn’t want Brexit “negotiations”, the EU wants “blood revenge”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-07/eu-doesnt-want-brexit-negotiations-eu-wants-blood-revenge

Hang in there Brits , leaving the EU is the best thing to do .

So what if it hurts you in the pocket ? It will get better once the Brits can get freetrade agreements with the rest of the free world .

Archived