Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, howerde said:

lets hope we won't be looking back to the good old days of 43bht to the £  (i can see it now, i remember the wonderfull days  of Oct 2016 when i got 43 baht to the £)

Bangkokbank FX rates are showing the Sterling to be worth 42.14 baht right now. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

I'm just wondering - could turning the UK economy into manure be part of a strategy to convince people to change their minds and remain? Let's be honest, I reckon if a fresh referendum was held, 'Remain' would win by a landslide. Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, baboon said:

I'm just wondering - could turning the UK economy into manure be part of a strategy to convince people to change their minds and remain? Let's be honest, I reckon if a fresh referendum was held, 'Remain' would win by a landslide. Any thoughts?

I think you think too much!

58 minutes ago, baboon said:

I'm just wondering - could turning the UK economy into manure be part of a strategy to convince people to change their minds and remain? Let's be honest, I reckon if a fresh referendum was held, 'Remain' would win by a landslide. Any thought

What a thought provoking intelligent suggestion. For those who have  the savvy to read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-3826627/Pound-suffers-mystery-flash-crash-appears-drop-10-seconds.html

Who would believe that the ruling elite and masters like Sorus et al would try and manipulate the markets. baboon are you thinking outside the box. If so I like it.:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Johnyo said:

Not sure how much that is going help if the GBP remains low. The UK is net importer so with a weak Stirling everything is going to cost more back home. Already fuel prices are up and it wont be long before the pinch is felt at the supermarket too

Ouch ,

I  buy  at cheap jaks ,  Aldi , Lidl , and  Poundland , etc .   

How , can i survive ? 

gbp /  Euro ,  same same soon , guarantee  . thx  brexit,,,   Tears 

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Good  idea , £20 ,  notes  would make a good Bio Fuel .  

10 hours ago, baboon said:

Poor Brexiteers, desperately searching around for someone to blame for their own folly.

Can't people see that this is just a ploy to scare the UK people into a last ditch attempt in keeping the UK in the EU. Lets see where the Pound is in a few months. All the doomsday preppers like those who believed the end of the world was coming, countless times, will have committed suicide or realized it was a big hoax. The banks are manipulating the markets, to scare the UK people. Once again lets see where we are in a few months.

Look at the interview from Le Pen. Yes its in the express but also other places. I refuse to quote the bias BBC This could be the next French President and I have to say she talks sense.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/718915/Marine-Le-Pen-Brexit-BBC-interview-France

“Because the British economy is doing much better now than it was doing yesterday. 

“And it’s doing so much better than the economy of all the other EU countries together."

She like the rest of Europe are the new voice and she is French and more optimistic than the labourites and remainers. Merlkel and Hollande will be gone. I m looking forward to the coming months, as I see the future that  is rosy and not glum.

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Can't people see that this is just a ploy to scare the UK people into a last ditch attempt in keeping the UK in the EU. Lets see where the Pound is in a few months. All the doomsday preppers like those who believed the end of the world was coming, countless times, will have committed suicide or realized it was a big hoax. The banks are manipulating the markets, to scare the UK people. Once again lets see where we are in a few months.

Look at the interview from Le Pen. Yes its in the express but also other places. I refuse to quote the bias BBC This could be the next French President and I have to say she talks sense.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/718915/Marine-Le-Pen-Brexit-BBC-interview-France

“Because the British economy is doing much better now than it was doing yesterday. 

“And it’s doing so much better than the economy of all the other EU countries together."

She like the rest of Europe are the new voice and she is French and more optimistic than the labourites and remainers. Merlkel and Hollande will be gone. I m looking forward to the coming months, as I see the future that  is rosy and not glum.

Re: 'Lets see where the Pound is in a few months.'........Well 'er we're there now, 3+ months on and 12% down.  Spin away.

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

"Can't people see that this is just a ploy to scare the UK people into a last ditch attempt in keeping the UK in the EU. Lets see where the Pound is in a few months".

I've heard that mantra before somewhere, several months ago, doubtless I'll be hearing it again many times, over the coming years! The Life of Brian and the Black Night analogy is appropriate here, "it's only a scratch", he said!

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Re: 'Lets see where the Pound is in a few months.'........Well 'er we're there now, 3+ months on and 12% down.  Spin away.

No spin at all. I will remind you in a few months. I am surprised you can't see how this has been a controlled manipulation of the markets. Ah well it your decision to be fearful. I certainly will not be.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

"Can't people see that this is just a ploy to scare the UK people into a last ditch attempt in keeping the UK in the EU. Lets see where the Pound is in a few months".

I've heard that mantra before somewhere, several months ago, doubtless I'll be hearing it again many times, over the coming years! The Life of Brian and the Black Night analogy is appropriate here, "it's only a scratch", he said!

I like the sketch by the way. Made me chuckle. We certainly see things differently. I guess time will tell.

13 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

I'm just wondering - could turning the UK economy into manure be part of a strategy to convince people to change their minds and remain? 

I believe that the UK economy is doing fine , its just the Pound that has fallen and the falling Pound will not effect the man in the street in the UK .

UK people living abroad have been effected by the falling Pound, but, they didnt and arent able to vote on whether to stay or exit, also, the vote has already been held and there will not be another one, so, it matters not what people think now

49 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

To be honest No, I fail to see how a depreciating pound is going to change the government position.As for bank manipulation being the cause for the current predicament of sterling is irrational, the 2 main events that coincided  with sterling fall were the first referendum result from Sunderland and announcement on the triggering of Article 50, to suggest both or either are controlled by the bank is fancifull .

As for the UKIP paper, daily express, they did tell the nation back in 1939 no war this year

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I believe that the UK economy is doing fine , its just the Pound that has fallen and the falling Pound will not effect the man in the street in the UK .

UK people living abroad have been effected by the falling Pound, but, they didnt and arent able to vote on whether to stay or exit, also, the vote has already been held and there will not be another one, so, it matters not what people think now

A minor correction: many expats living overseas voted in the referendum, including those living in Thailand, including myself.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The UK economy is doing fine , but sterling depreciation will affect the man on the street.The manufacturing input price will rise, and the corresponding inflation , which usually lags input prices by 5-6 months. This inflation is not consumer led and thus the peoples purchasing power decreases as the value  of pay is eroded

10 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The UK economy is doing fine , but sterling depreciation will affect the man on the street.The manufacturing input price will rise, and the corresponding inflation , which usually lags input prices by 5-6 months. This inflation is not consumer led and thus the peoples purchasing power decreases as the value  of pay is eroded

Plus the utter carnage that a series of interest rates hikes, needed to deal with that inflation, doesn't bare thinking about.

Hammond, the chancellor, has announced that the fall in Sterling is because the world now recognises that Brexit will happen. 

I guess "the experts" are expressing their view of the effect of that decision on the British economy....

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

A minor correction: many expats living overseas voted in the referendum, including those living in Thailand, including myself.

And me

I actually travelled back specifically and voted in person and of course lost.

During a 5 week stay, travelling all over the country, I did not meet one person that admitted to voting leave. I guess they were just embarrassed!

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

And me

During a 5 week stay, travelling all over the country, I did not meet one person that admitted to voting leave. I guess they were just embarrassed!

Or maybe you are moving in the wrong circles,  you need to change your peers?

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Poor Brexiteers, desperately searching around for someone to blame for their own folly.

Really? Goes to show what you know, just like those dullards on the news threads who assume that if you dislike the junta you support Thaksin. How foolish of anyone to ask questions in order to further their understanding over an issue, eh?

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

And me

REPLY - system won't let me reply to reply......

I am not a peer of the realm (surprisingly)

However, I am pub goer and chat to all types at the bar. I stayed in Rotherham, Wrexham, Winchester, York, Edinburgh, Plymouth, Jersey and London. 

One chap did moan about too many "P*k*s in Leeds but I think that doesn't count.

I re-iterate that nobody said they voted out. Most of the others were aghast at what had happened and the likely ramifications.

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I re-iterate that nobody said they voted out. Most of the others were aghast at what had happened and the likely ramifications.

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I hear the same thing on the likes of LBC radio. After all, who would vote to impoverish themselves?

Archived