Macbook wont turn on at all (fully charged)

davejonesbkk

I have a Macbook air thats about 14 months old, never had a problem with it and taken good care of it.

Last night I watched a movie via a usb plugged into it on my TV via the hdmi connected to the tv from the Mac, I was charging the Mac from the mains at the same time too. After I saw that the Mac was fully charged so unplugged it from the mains and disconnected the hdmi cable and closed it.

This morning it wont turn on at all, even when its plugged in and its showing a green light nothing happens, I hold down the power button and it just sites there lifeless. I tried the shitft+control+option+power button reset thing too and it was the same.

What the heck is wrong with it??

9 hours ago, jonwilly said:

If you were in Chiang Mai I could tell you an excellent repair shop.

john

thanks anyway, my nearest iCare shop in Bkk said it would be 3 weeks to check and fix it! Im taking it to another one on Saturday which might be a bit faster. Still have no idea what happened to it or why its like this :|

5 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

thanks anyway, my nearest iCare shop in Bkk said it would be 3 weeks to check and fix it! Im taking it to another one on Saturday which might be a bit faster. Still have no idea what happened to it or why its like this :|

Had the same problem a few times, its very likely you need to reset the SMC. Carefully do the walkthrough here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

1. Hold down the power button for ten seconds. Then, press the power button again to see if the computer turns on.
  2. Reset the SMC.

If the above does not work, then reset the SMC:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If the battery is nonremovable 

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac

Very likely there is nothing wrong with your mac, just need to do the walkthrough.

14 hours ago, Strange said:

Had the same problem a few times, its very likely you need to reset the SMC. Carefully do the walkthrough here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

If the above does not work, then reset the SMC:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Very likely there is nothing wrong with your mac, just need to do the walkthrough.

thanks but already tried that and it didnt do anything, they tried it at the iCare place too

On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 8:04 AM, davejonesbkk said:

thanks but already tried that and it didnt do anything, they tried it at the iCare place too

I hope you find a solution because I've got the same problem.  sad.gif

Edit: Actually, not strictly true: I get a flashing icon - a question mark on a folder icon - and the startup chord/music. I've tried lots of ctrl-option type starts and nothing works. It is a A1181 model.

Edited by JetsetBkk

8 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I hope you find a solution because I've got the same problem.  sad.gif

Edit: Actually, not strictly true: I get a flashing icon - a question mark on a folder icon - and the startup chord/music. I've tried lots of ctrl-option type starts and nothing works. It is a A1181 model.

Ive had mine with iCare and just found out that the mainboard is totally fried, Im guessing some kind of power surge but is a brick now anyway, sounds like your issue is fixable though, Id take it to iCare

In my local area (NE of Thailand) the main power supply ( amount of Volts and Watts) is not always what it seems. Sometimes power appears to be present due to the power light on my laptop, but actually it is by far not enough power for charging the battery of my laptop. So, also in case of a laptop a UPS might come in quite handy. No idea what may happen to the actual power supply in my village in case of the usual heavy thunderstorms and lightings. Most of the time the power shuts down and comes up again around 09.30 hours in the morning.

2 hours ago, jacnl2000 said:

Most of the time the power shuts down and comes up again around 09.30 hours in the morning.

Interesting. In south Phuket, where I live, the power goes out for a couple of seconds probably every day (sometimes I don't notice) between about 7am and 9am.

I noticed this because I used to have my bedroom fan on the UPS that protected the TV, and when the power went out the fan would make a humming noise and wake me up.

I came to the conclusion that someone at the power company did it deliberately to kick off equipment that was taking a lot of power and shouldn't be running. I have no proof of this at all, I just can't think of why the power should be cut regularly every day at that time.

I now connect the fan directly to a mains power outlet so it just slows down when the power goes off, and I can carry on sleeping.

7 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Ive had mine with iCare and just found out that the mainboard is totally fried, Im guessing some kind of power surge but is a brick now anyway, sounds like your issue is fixable though, Id take it to iCare

OK, I'll take it to Phuket Alpha - an Apple Authorised Service Provider, and see what they'd charge for a quick look-see.

• 2 weeks later...