Can expats collect Thai retirement pension

44 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Cheers.

For under 180 months you get a lump sum payment. For over 180 months you can either opt to receive a monthly payment of about 3,500 +++ depending on the number of months above 180, or maintain lower payments and benefit from health insurance under the Social Security system. 

I know the lump sum works for foreigners, and also the health insurance part, but am not clear on whether a foreigner can benefit from the pension payments. Luckily, I am now a Thai citizen so have a choice when I retire.  

Edited by GarryP

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

Interesting topic, the way I am understanding this is the benefits kick in after making 180 monthly payments in to the SS fund, anything less and you can claim a lump sum payout?

How does it work if there was a shortish break in the payments?

I worked for one company for 11 years 3 months (so 135 months) then there was a short break of about 7 weeks prior to going on to the payroll of another company, at which I've made a further 15 months SS payments to date, so 150 now in total, assuming I continue to work, then will this short break have any effect, i.e. do they reset the clock?

I worked for various Thai company's with breaks (up to a year) between companies. The months paid into the scheme is cumulative and doesn't reset between companies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

For under 180 months you get a lump sum payment. For over 180 months you can either opt to receive a monthly payment of about 3,500 +++ depending on the number of months above 180, or maintain lower payments and benefit from health insurance under the Social Security system. 

I know the lump sum works for foreigners, and also the health insurance part, but am not clear on whether a foreigner can benefit from the pension payments. Luckily, I am now a Thai citizen so have a choice when I retire.  

I only needed 2 more months to qualify for pension or government health insurance. The pension would have been about 1,500 baht/month (for me) which is nothing and for the government health insurance you have to use only 1 hospital that's on the designated list. I could have waited for another job to come along to get to 180 months but no thanks, took the cash.

On 10/6/2016 at 8:09 AM, glegolo said:

But the waiting times are NOT at all what you suggest here, I am not surpriced if there is about 2-400 people waiting all over the place, even waiting out in the parkinglot eating

my experience in the public hospitals (over 30 nights) amounts to this: dont go to one, dont go near one; interns posing as doctors; radically overcrowded

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

my experience in the public hospitals (over 30 nights) amounts to this: dont go to one, dont go near one; interns posing as doctors; radically overcrowded

I am sure public-hospitals vary - perhaps drastically.  But in my experience, if you get a private room (as I did for my gf - less than the cost of an inexpensive/moderate hotel-room per-night), there was no overcrowding, an excellent nurse:patient ratio, young but qualified doc, and very good care offered.

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Yes, very true. I have also used a couple government hospitals in the past and they were very crowded, long waits, practically no English, only Thai food available.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, YetAnother said:

Government hospitals are fine, I know many rich Thais that use them, as I do. The secret is to find the doctor that also works at the Bamrungrads, Samitivejs. 

If you don't know anyone there, yes, you'll wait like the others and get bad treatment.

Even with the Bamrungrad, where one of my kids was born the doctors need incentives to give you specialized care. Luckily her Godmother owns a 4 star hotel on the beach and made a deal with the Doc, who was an <deleted> by the way, refusing to speak Thai with me and my wife.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, I see this thread still going on. So after taking the lump sum from SSO back in May 2017, I got job in January 2018. Paid into SSO again. Resigning end of this month so racked up 19 months paying into SSO since Jan 2018. But I took my lump sum back in May 2017 (178 months). The HR girl at my office says I can claim back the 750 baht x 19 and also keep paying into SSO (~435 baht/month) to keep my health insurance going. I'll visit SSO in couple keeps and see what sort of benefits can now get. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 1:55 PM, camble said:

My employer paid 750/month for my social security.  When I left the job I had a year to claim it at the local government office or lose it.  I had to be over 50, they paid me 50,000 (in cash) for working 5+ years.

Are you sure it was 50, not 55?

On 10/5/2016 at 8:50 PM, Collins said:

Yes, You can absolutely get this. All the info can be found here from the official page of the Thai Social Scurity Office: http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/benefit.html

Maximum salary that is currently used for calculatory purpose of both contributions and benefits is THB 15,000 as has been mentioned before. With 22 years of contributions you get 4,000+ Baht monthly pension for life starting at 55 years of age. Not much - yet still better than nothing.

Cheers

If I claim after working here for 25 years but under 55, it out a simple case of waiting until I'm 55?

I just paid a quick visit to the office, which had refurbishment going on, so just spoke to a random person.

First,  they said I have only paid 13 years, but the printout showed 15. I told them I worked in another province 20 plus years ago, but they said it doesn't count, then her neighbor piped in that as I'm a foreigner I can't get the monthly payments and continue health insurance. I told them that I am in the process of becoming Thai and what difference did it make, to which she said there was no difference!!

Eventually, they advised me to come back when I had changed my nationality. I'm actually more confused than when I went in. They said I was only due 145k, but would have to wait until 55. Alternatively,  if I work 17 more months, 3,000 baht a month. I don't want to work if I can help it, and asked if I could pay the contributions myself, and again they gave different answers, depending on my nationality.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I just paid a quick visit to the office, which had refurbishment going on, so just spoke to a random person.

First,  they said I have only paid 13 years, but the printout showed 15. I told them I worked in another province 20 plus years ago, but they said it doesn't count, then her neighbor piped in that as I'm a foreigner I can't get the monthly payments and continue health insurance. I told them that I am in the process of becoming Thai and what difference did it make, to which she said there was no difference!!

Eventually, they advised me to come back when I had changed my nationality. I'm actually more confused than when I went in. They said I was only due 145k, but would have to wait until 55. Alternatively,  if I work 17 more months, 3,000 baht a month. I don't want to work if I can help it, and asked if I could pay the contributions myself, and again they gave different answers, depending on my nationality.

I had a laugh one my last visit to SSO. One girl kept saying mai dai (can not), her colleague kept saying dai (can) back and forth.  Sounds like in tour case the random person just don't know the rules.  SS benefits cover both Thai and foreigner equally.  You need 180 months to get the pension option. Here's the website in both Thai and English  https://www.sso.go.th/

• Thanks 1

Quick background, back in 2016 I was laid off.  When I turned 55 in 2017 I took the lump sum option and got back 196,000 Baht from SSO. I had 178 months,  2 months short of 180 to get the pension option which would have been diddly anyway.  Started working again in January 2018 and just retired (quit) last month. Went to my local SSO yesterday. I can voluntarily continue paying into SSO 432 baht/month to maintain some social benefits.  They will give me 16,200 baht lump sum and get this, pay me 288 baht/month for old age. So my net social health insurance payment will be 144 Baht. I asked for life? They said yes.  But can only use at my designated hospital. But still not too shabby. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2016 at 7:01 AM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

When you end your employment you can continue to pay SS (if you have not reached the 180 months) and retain the health benefit. I suspect that the retirement age will be increased to 65 years soon, as the population is aging fast.

Even if you aren't working and under 55?