Martial Law Lifted In 41 Provinces

george

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing Thailand.

It appears the majority of people in the country who supported the previous government are still under martial law, while the minority of people who supported the previous opposition are free of it.

That sounds like a right move to support free and democratic reform in the country.

I am sure any public opinion polls (censored by the ruling junta in the interests of public safety and unity), will show that 96.7% of people polled agree with the new governments decision.

A new breath of freedom sweeps the nation. In fact the country is so free now that soldiers are hanging around radio and TV stations (that haven't been banned) to hear all the good news about the new and more democratic Thailand. Arr, and the news is all good. The people have been saved! The new rulers of Thailand have nothing to hide, no ulterior personal motives except the betterment of all Thai citizens. ;-)

I read of Chaiyaphum in a tourist guide the other day, "...of no significant interest..."

I once stayed in a hotel there, the one with the disco in basement, the factor that made it so much more like a prision was the way that all the rooms doors opened outwards. Slop out at 06:00 :o

Chaiyaphum has a brand new resort hotel (River Resort) which is quite nice, behind the main hospital. Quite a step up from the older place.

Partial lifting? That is impossible. There will be action by the government ANYWHERE there is resistance. To call it "lifted" in provinces where there is no resistance is ludicrous. Only when the military is completely removed from government, without an "advisory" role, with all aspects run by elected officials, will there be no restrictions.

Partial lifting? That is impossible. There will be action by the government ANYWHERE there is resistance. To call it "lifted" in provinces where there is no resistance is ludicrous. Only when the military is completely removed from government, without an "advisory" role, with all aspects run by elected officials, will there be no restrictions.

However, under the last elected government there were in practice more restrictions than now.

However, under the last elected government there were in practice more restrictions than now.

So you are happy to have a gun to your head?

Junta officer: Army may still step in

(Bangkokpost.com)

The public need not worry about the political situation after martial law is lifted because army will be able to settle problems if anything happens, said Navy Chief Adm Sathiraphan Keyanont, who is deputy leader of the military junta.

Lifted? Bulls@it!!

So you are happy to have a gun to your head?

From a personal point of view neither I, my family or anyone I know feel threatened under martial law. Under the previous government I knew of a few people who were threatened because of their political activities in certain areas, and we shouldnt forget the previous government actually managed to kill quite a few people whereas the current one has not.

To answer your question nobody has a gun at my head

Peace

Ok, so what will be the differences i will notice here in Bangkok?I have been here and did not even know there was still martial law in place. It all still looks the same. Maybe the traffic will move a bit faster. I guess that there are different levels of martial law and Thailand has been on the lower end of the scale.

According to my wife, the big red blob up in the north east corner of your map (which remains under martial law) is full of Thaksin supporters ....

Quite accurate, I believe. Today, here in Mahasarakham province, I had university students in English class choose their favorite Thai politician. Toxin won, hands down. 100%

the previous government actually managed to kill quite a few people whereas the current one has not.

Yet, but if past coup history is any indication, they will.

Then you don't understand the concept of martial law

Interior Minister: Only Thai National Flag can be erected on Thai soil

Minister of Interior Aree Wong-araya (อารีย์ วงศ์อารยะ) said the lifting of martial law has been carefully considered by the cabinet. The cabinest has decided to maintain 35 provinces under martial law as these provinces border with neighboring countries. Martial law is still maintained to prevent 'undercurrents' and elements of insurgency to rise. Mr Aree said that when martial law is eventually lifted in the 35 provinces, problems in which the government are worried about, would not become too serious.

Mr Aree affirmed that the government works for the benefit of the people and does not have any hidden agenda. Its mission ends after the next general election.

In response to news regarding Southern insurgents' amibition to declare independence over the three Southern border provinces on December 2, the minister said he will not let this kind incident to take place. The insurgents have no right to erect a foreign flag into the Thailand's sovereign state. Only the Thai National Flag is allowed.

Asked when martial law will be lifted in the 35 provinces, he said he did not know. The security units will decide when is the appropriate time to revoke martial law in the areas.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 November 2006

the previous government actually managed to kill quite a few people whereas the current one has not.

Yet, but if past coup history is any indication, they will.

Then you don't understand the concept of martial law

To be honest Luk, as i have said on here a number of times before my wife's because criticisms of the previous PM led to extreme threats against her. I would regard that as a gun to head rather than some worry that if I committed a crime or criticcized them the current government would have me shot. In fact I dont worry about that at all and neither does anyone I know. The threats made under the previous government were very real but I feel I have said enough on an open messageboard. Just because a government was elected does not mean it supports democratic ideals: Just because a government was installed by a coup doesn't mean it is going to kill everyone. It is usually better to judge by actions.

Edited by hammered

haha areas that dont support Thuksin have martial law lifted.... lol

Yes, you are so correct.

Not exactly. The Southern provinces were not big Taksin supporters. The red and yellow areas in the South would probably not be a problem as supporting Taksin. They are in red and yellow because of other issues.

Cooperation is needed while after withdrawal of martial law

Government Spokesman Yongyuth Maiyalarp said all sides still have to work together constructively after the martial law has been withdrawn in 41 provinces to prevent social disunity or conflicts. He said the government has opened for people to express their ideas and opinions, and they have cooperated well with the government.

The Government Spokesman added that if troubling situations occur in the areas where the martial law has been revoked, the local police officers will initially be responsible in controlling the situations by developing a mutual understanding between different sides.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 November 2006

Chart Thai leader urges the govt to stay alert after lifting of martial law

Chart Thai Leader Banharn Silpa-archa (บรรหาร ศิลปะอาชา) said he personally thinks the government should put on a close watch, and especially place more importance to the intelligence after the matial law has been lifted in some areas.

Mr. Banharn said that he agrees with the government and the Council of National Security (CNS)’s decision to lift the martial law in some areas; however, he reminded the government to closely inspect the situation, to prevent possible chaos. At the same time, he said that the intelligence is also needed to provide security to people. He has urged the Royal Thai Police to put more efforts in ensuring security.

In response to the government’s plan to set up the southern economic zone, he personally views that all units should cooperate with the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center (SBPAC) as the collaboration will facilitate implementations.

Mr Banharn said that the southern units and SBPAC should emphasize on the matters related to economy, social affairs, and politic. He believes that SBPAC’s performance will be issued within half year.

Lets understand that martial law holds a lot more threats against civil liberty than under civil law.

eg: armed soldiers may subdue opposition to martial law limitations of civil liberties by force. That can mean a departure from civil law principles and imprisonment without trial for dissenters.

Martial law is indeed a big threat to civil liberties to those whom it is imposed on.

The fact that there have not been any major confrontations under the current imposition of martial law should not be taken as an indication that martial law is a benign and benevolent form of government. The threats are very real to those who would pursue civil law under democratic principles. Most people in Thailand, and particularly working class peasants, who oppose the coup in principle, recognize that open resistance is futile against the military. Simply because there has been very little open resistance to martial law does not mean that the people subjected to it, approve of it. With something like 17 coups over the past 60 years, many people have learnt that the safest course of action is to keep a low profile when the military takes over government.

Simply because day to day life for the people subjected to martial law carries on as usual without outward signs conflict does not mean that it is supported by the majority of people. It is more credit to the restraint of ordinary people under the threat of martial law, rather than the credit of those imposing it, that there has been little trouble so far.

Ask yourself the question,-- if you were a poor farmer, would you openly resist a heavily armed military junta?

The peaceful situation at the moment does not signify approval for the coup. Rather it signifies the futility of resistance. Democracy will come around again and the people will be able to have their say. Its more important to work and feed the family than to get mixed up in political matters for the majority of poor Thais.

Lets understand that martial law holds a lot more threats against civil liberty than under civil law.

eg: armed soldiers may subdue opposition to martial law limitations of civil liberties by force. That can mean a departure from civil law principles and imprisonment without trial for dissenters.

Martial law is indeed a big threat to civil liberties to those whom it is imposed on.

The fact that there have not been any major confrontations under the current imposition of martial law should not be taken as an indication that martial law is a benign and benevolent form of government. The threats are very real to those who would pursue civil law under democratic principles. Most people in Thailand, and particularly working class peasants, who oppose the coup in principle, recognize that open resistance is futile against the military. Simply because there has been very little open resistance to martial law does not mean that the people subjected to it, approve of it. With something like 17 coups over the past 60 years, many people have learnt that the safest course of action is to keep a low profile when the military takes over government.

Simply because day to day life for the people subjected to martial law carries on as usual without outward signs conflict does not mean that it is supported by the majority of people. It is more credit to the restraint of ordinary people under the threat of martial law, rather than the credit of those imposing it, that there has been little trouble so far.

Ask yourself the question,-- if you were a poor farmer, would you openly resist a heavily armed military junta?

The peaceful situation at the moment does not signify approval for the coup. Rather it signifies the futility of resistance. Democracy will come around again and the people will be able to have their say. Its more important to work and feed the family than to get mixed up in political matters for the majority of poor Thais.

Fantastic post! I couldn't have put it better myself!

Amazing Thailand.

It appears the majority of people in the country who supported the previous government are still under martial law, while the minority of people who supported the previous opposition are free of it.

That sounds like a right move to support free and democratic reform in the country.

I am sure any public opinion polls (censored by the ruling junta in the interests of public safety and unity), will show that 96.7% of people polled agree with the new governments decision.

A new breath of freedom sweeps the nation. In fact the country is so free now that soldiers are hanging around radio and TV stations (that haven't been banned) to hear all the good news about the new and more democratic Thailand. Arr, and the news is all good. The people have been saved! The new rulers of Thailand have nothing to hide, no ulterior personal motives except the betterment of all Thai citizens. ;-)

Well Ranong is certainly not TRT country. Surprised to see my Amphoe La Un (Laoon :o ) on that list.

"Seeing as I have nothing better to do I decided to make a Martial Law map. "

KonAngrit - you are cool and smart. How do I go about making maps like this ? I want to too ! I looked at the large version and see it's from mapworld.com. I'll go poke around the site a bit. Any tips on how you chose colors for jangwats ? Same program ? It's always cool to use a map to show people what's going on or where to go. I live by writing on the internet, but don't know diddley about making maps. Any pointers appreciated.....

And anyway, the map is interesting to see. There are some patterns here. And then a few satelite areas where you wonder why they're of concern. Perhaps they feel the people could be swayed if Thaksin came sneaking back in. But really, I dunno.

God Job with the Map !

I Bet you always had the elaborate / immacualte homework back when you were in school. :o

For most people upcountry the law is only something invoked when a serious crime happens. You will never see a policeman in uniform in most villages.

Martial law in Bangkok hasn't been enforced, demonstrations at Sanam Luang, etc have been allowed to happen.

The junta naturally fear the return of Thaksin. But to return, he has to be able to persuade his ex-MPs and canvassers a return to power is possible, otherwise his product is out of date and they look to new sponsors.

But the more is revealed about the activities of the Shinawat clan and cronies, the dimmer the ex-Shin star\ satellite glows for both his ex MPs and canvassers.

Therefore

In pracitce civil law under Thaksin was far more threatening than the current martial law. Let's understand that first, before going deep into mental speculations about all unlimited possibilities.

particularly working class peasants, who oppose the coup in principle, recognize that open resistance is futile against the military.... With something like 17 coups over the past 60 years, many people have learnt that the safest course of action is to keep a low profile when the military takes over government.

None of the 17 coups affected majority of population in any significant way, PARTICULARLY working class peasants. Just a quick reality check on your theory.

In pracitce civil law under Thaksin was far more threatening than the current martial law. Let's understand that first, before going deep into mental speculations about all unlimited possibilities.

particularly working class peasants, who oppose the coup in principle, recognize that open resistance is futile against the military.... With something like 17 coups over the past 60 years, many people have learnt that the safest course of action is to keep a low profile when the military takes over government.

None of the 17 coups affected majority of population in any significant way, PARTICULARLY working class peasants. Just a quick reality check on your theory.

I'm really surprised at the number of martial law supporters here. Could it be you are speaking out of fear? Do you worry that if you exercise free speech you may be imprisoned or worse? You should, because that is reality. You suppport the censorship ? The shutting down of media?

You dont realise that your basic human rights have been taken from you, because life seems to go on as it has in the past. Pray you dont need to exercise those rights if you have a legal problem.

It is easy to bow down and say everything is fine, but is irresponsible to ignore the limitations being imposed on society as a whole.

Edited by pumpuiman

I'm really surprised at the number of martial law supporters here. Could it be you are speaking out of fear? Do you worry that if you exercise free speech you may be imprisoned or worse? You should, because that is reality. You suppport the censorship ? The shutting down of media?

You dont realise that your basic human rights have been taken from you, because life seems to go on as it has in the past. Pray you dont need to exercise those rights if you have a legal problem.

It is easy to bow down and say everything is fine, but is irresponsible to ignore the limitations being imposed on society as a whole.

It’s all well and good to make esoteric arguments as citizens of countries where freedom of speech and democracy is a god given right. I often make these idealistic arguments. I am against Coups as most of the world is but this is obviously not a type of coup that has been seen before.

You can tell because the rest of the world has not imposed any substantial punishment on Thailand. That is because the rest of the world understands this was not done so military leaders could take over the country and continue to run it. They did it because they felt their democratic institutions had been subjugated. That means when you buy elections and change laws to protect yourself and take things because you can then you do not really have a functioning democracy.

I don't know enough about Thailand’s democratic institutions to take this argument very far but I do understand why the coup leaders felt this was necessary. The governments of the world must feel similarly since they have also accepted it.

The problem with accepting this for the world is that others may feel encourage to act since nothing was done here. But I believe each case should be judged on its merit.

This was not done so the Military commanders could own the country. Maybe they can put in the proper checks and balances so this does not have to happen again. The corruption has to go for this to work however.

I didn't see Thaksin threatening to shut down this board if criticism was made of his governments policies. And I didn't see Thaksin bring in the troops to quash the PAD rallies.

Simply because there has been little resistance and therefore little confrontation does not mean that the threat is not there under martial law.

Re the past 17 coups not affecting the peasants.

You are quite right. They are still the dirt poor underclass of the country.

And their vote, even though they are the majority, still doesn't count.

"Seeing as I have nothing better to do I decided to make a Martial Law map. "

KonAngrit - you are cool and smart. How do I go about making maps like this ? I want to too ! I looked at the large version and see it's from mapworld.com. I'll go poke around the site a bit. Any tips on how you chose colors for jangwats ? Same program ? It's always cool to use a map to show people what's going on or where to go. I live by writing on the internet, but don't know diddley about making maps. Any pointers appreciated.....

And anyway, the map is interesting to see. There are some patterns here. And then a few satelite areas where you wonder why they're of concern. Perhaps they feel the people could be swayed if Thaksin came sneaking back in. But really, I dunno.

God Job with the Map !

It was only a quick knock-up with Microsoft Paint, I'm certainly no expert in that sort of thing, but here's what I did if you're interested:

Googled "Thailand Political Map", then clicked on "images" at the top of the page, and selected the map I wanted to use, then right clicked above it and saved it to my PC.

Then right clicked on that copy and clicked "edit", which opened up Paint, then clicked File>Save as... then in the file type box selected "16 color bitmap".

Now right click on the bitmap file and click edit, choose your desired colour from the palette and select the "fill with color" icon, proceed to fill areas changing colours when desired. When finished select "Save as..." then select "save as type, JPEG".

I just selected the most appropriate colours from the palette, all pretty simple really, 10-15 minutes of work.

I Bet you always had the elaborate / immacualte homework back when you were in school. :D

Lol, what's homework? May have done some if the internet was around then. :o

Whilst near the end of writing this reply I pulled the plug out of my laptop by accident, and stupidly didn't have a battery in. Fortunately the latest Firefox browser has a restore feature which put all my pages back up, to my surprise it had also remembered everything I had typed in this reply, saving me the hassle of starting all over again. What a fantastic feature! It also points out spelling and punctuation mistakes, it really is an excellent browser, far superior to Internet Explorer.