The the best thing that has happened to me in Thailand for years

gamini

15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Interesting links.  But I'm amazed the Thailand link has Kad Suan Kaew as being the biggest in Chiang Mai.  Perhaps in raw sqm.  It's certainly the oldest.  But we've got several much newer malls and I thought Central Festival was the biggest.  Anyways, no big. 

I've just read a couple of dozen of Gemini's posts.  Is he for real or dropped in from another planet?  His posts are full of misinformation.  I've never come across anyone (and especially Thai people) with so much 'over the top' adulation for Thailand and the authorities. If Gemini is a genuine poster, then I wish him all the luck in the world while living in Neverland. Give my regards to Tinkerbell.

Glad somebody likes the malls. Personally I think they are an incarnation of the Palace of Belsebub where you roast slowly on a stick eating tasteless chain restaurant fodder while your wife spends your money on overpriced items. Well, enjoy.

19 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Eggs Benedict?  Beautifully presented.  Please continue to enjoy your mall visits.

Siam Paragon and Central World might be the biggest but I really like two of the newer ones - Embarquier and Central Embassy which, when the connection to the Central Department Store is considered,  must have many square meters of floor space.  The newer malls are not in the Wikipedia article.

Just curious OP.  How do you get between floors on your scooter?  Perhaps there are large elevators(?)

.....maybe things look bigger if your sitting in a wheelchair.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

If he can get around the mall easily with limited mobility, they're building them differently.

Nowhere did I suggest only farangs have money.  Rich Thai people get old, too.  

OK, cool. I think the Thai gov't has been encouraging more consideration for the handicapped for some time, actually.

1 hour ago, DSJPC said:

who the hell would know the answer to that stupid question???

Anyone who has lived in Bangkok for more than 10 years. 

Anyone who likes going to malls and has done a bit of research to see which ones are the biggest (and best).

Sounds like a very valid question to me and one that many people would know the answer to.

Personally I find Seacon to be a pretty crummy mall, I prefer the flashier new ones particularly EmQuartier.  

Great shops and much more convenient to get to.

On 06/10/2016 at 10:32 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Very interesting,I would have said Mall of Asia,Philippines was bigger than Central World and Siam Paragon but it's in the middle and I didn't realise how high up SM Cebu was either!

On 07/10/2016 at 1:37 AM, Berkshire said:

Interesting links.  But I'm amazed the Thailand link has Kad Suan Kaew as being the biggest in Chiang Mai.  Perhaps in raw sqm.  It's certainly the oldest.  But we've got several much newer malls and I thought Central Festival was the biggest.  Anyways, no big. 

Yeh that one got me too,KSK always seemed a bit pokey to me and not big at all!

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Anyone who has lived in Bangkok for more than 10 years. 

Anyone who likes going to malls and has done a bit of research to see which ones are the biggest (and best).

Sounds like a very valid question to me and one that many people would know the answer to.

Personally I find Seacon to be a pretty crummy mall, I prefer the flashier new ones particularly EmQuartier.  

Great shops and much more convenient to get to.

I guess you're right and retract my statement...that is what honorable people do...

On 10/6/2016 at 4:32 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Those lists are slightly out of date, so I would be hesitant to trust all the information there.

By pure size, since around January, Future Park Zpell is now the largest mall in Thailand, at least according to their website. Other metrics could conceivably yield different results (using GLA for example instead of absolute size), so I think at some point it stops making sense trying to rank them other than by saying, "really, really big."

http://www.zpellshopping.com/en/page/about

Edited by Monomial
typo

When I came to Thailand back in 1896 although my memory sometimes fails me, It was perfect and I have seen a sharp decline in the past 120 years. I think the OP is rather selfish to be so happy about a mall that benefits only himself while providing the local population much needed jobs. 

I have fond memories of sitting in the rain riddled tin shacks and somebody had a couple of silent films they played on a projector against the one wall we had in the corner. 

I think the OP is being a little self indulgent to enjoy a mall that seems to be built solely for his own benefit and simply destroys the values of a once great country. Sometimes we should sacrifice wheel chair accessibility for the greater good.

Just my two cents.

Edited by anotheruser