Good Bangkok sausages

Nepal4me

Would recommend 'The Accidental Butcher' just off of Ekhamai soi 10

Map on their website below

http://theaccidentalbutcher.com/contact

They have about a dozen different kinds of freshly made sausages

Beef, pork and lamb

Have tried most of them and liked them all so Far

.....The Accidental Butcher (Steve Craig), is one of the most accredited butchers in Thailand.

With over 30 years of experience, The Accidental Butcher is known for applying old school meat philosophy to create his masterpieces, using only the finest cuts......

http://paleorobbie.com/2016/09/the-accidental-butcher/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Brits Germans and Americans would all give radically different answers to your question because of their definition of what is a good sausage. Brits however would want Bangers and these are easily found in Tops  and Villa Supermarkets, Yorkies is decent brand as is Sausage King, in all there are about half a dozen Brit banger companies selling their wares throughout Thailand. Hope that helps.

12 minutes ago, stament said:

12 minutes ago, stament said:

no decent british sausages in Thailand. You need to go back to the UK or make your own. I have tatsted some which are om but not a patch on those in the UK, likewise the bacon here that's much worse quality in comparison.

Wrong; Rimping have genuine Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages.  Just lately Big C have been stocking the Cumberland in their freezers as well.  Cost around 205 Baht for ten, not a bad price to pay for the right taste.

The reason I asked is because Tops and Foodland's sausages are around 600 or even more, sometimes way more.  That's damn expensive.  I had tried Makro for 210 baht per kilo and they were really crap.  

I looked at the Accidental Butcher.  Looks good but prices are like Tops, maybe even more. 

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Wrong; Rimping have genuine Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages.  Just lately Big C have been stocking the Cumberland in their freezers as well.  Cost around 205 Baht for ten, not a bad price to pay for the right taste.

Are they any good though and comparable to a top notch banger in the UK?

Assuming they are from the tone of your post so good news. How much are they in Rimping for half a kilo and are there any plain pork ones there too?

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

You say 205 baht for ten.  What is the weight?  1kg?  That would be a great price if they are decent.  Do you know the manufacturer of the Cumberland?  Do you know if they have bangers?

10 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

With all due respect, there is nothing 'genuine' about the Cumberland sausage sold in Rimping, Tops, or Big C. Even your own statement gives proof to this: " Cost around 205 Baht for ten"  Genuine Cumberland sausage is a 'ring' sausage, not a link sausage. And the grind of the genuine Cumberland sausage is extremely coarse, almost chopped rather than ground. The ones sold here in Chiang Mai supermarkets have a grind as fine as bologna. Be that as it may, the taste of the local Cumberland sausage isn't too bad. Not great... but easily recognizable as the flavor of a Cumberland sausage. I eat them at least once a month. But I'd happily travel to find some genuine Cumberland sausage, the sort that require chewing rather than just gumming.... Perhaps the local makers knows that most of us expats are missing some teeth these days?  :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, stament said:

Are they any good though and comparable to a top notch banger in the UK?

Assuming they are from the tone of your post so good news. How much are they in Rimping for half a kilo and are there any plain pork ones there too?

They are great, just like the real thing.  They come in frozen packs of ten and i split them up after part defrost and keep them in two's.  I can't remember where they are made or who makes them or what the weight is on the pack but i will look the next time i go in and let you know if you can wait a few days.

Somebody asked if Rimping has stores in BKK but they don't to my knowledge, perhaps someone knows better ?    Big C are now stocking the Cumberland type in some stores and they are usually in the horizontal freezers close to the fresh meat area.  There is now also frozen Wiltshire bacon there and a lot of different tasty burgers as well.

19 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

With all due respect, there is nothing 'genuine' about the Cumberland sausage sold in Rimping, Tops, or Big C. Even your own statement gives proof to this: " Cost around 205 Baht for ten"  Genuine Cumberland sausage is a 'ring' sausage, not a link sausage. And the grind of the genuine Cumberland sausage is extremely coarse, almost chopped rather than ground. The ones sold here in Chiang Mai supermarkets have a grind as fine as bologna. Be that as it may, the taste of the local Cumberland sausage isn't too bad. Not great... but easily recognizable as the flavor of a Cumberland sausage. I eat them at least once a month. But I'd happily travel to find some genuine Cumberland sausage, the sort that require chewing rather than just gumming.... Perhaps the local makers knows that most of us expats are missing some teeth these days?  :rolleyes:

Can't disagree with you on rings and links but in honesty i prefer them the way these local ones are....probably suit my dentures better !

32 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Can't disagree with you on rings and links but in honesty i prefer them the way these local ones are....probably suit my dentures better !

I suppose that really is the bottom line... And they taste like Cumberland sausage regardless of the texture or the form, which is why I eat 'em.  Frankly, I find the grinds on most of the locally-made European sausage much too fine, but with several companies making several different sausages, we can actually find some that taste pretty damn good!  Now if there was just some company that made a really good spicy Italian sausage, I could put away my grinder and stuffing tube and be a happy man!

What surprises me is that most of the locally-made Thai sausages have a very coarse grind... So it IS possible to do it, even in The Land of Smiles.

18 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I suppose that really is the bottom line... And they taste like Cumberland sausage regardless of the texture or the form, which is why I eat 'em.  Frankly, I find the grinds on most of the locally-made European sausage much too fine, but with several companies making several different sausages, we can actually find some that taste pretty damn good!  Now if there was just some company that made a really good spicy Italian sausage, I could put away my grinder and stuffing tube and be a happy man!

What surprises me is that most of the locally-made Thai sausages have a very coarse grind... So it IS possible to do it, even in The Land of Smiles.

Just did a google search for "Sausages Bangkok" and found 2 other companies making Cumberland and Hot Italian for that matter.  Sloan's and Bangkok Sausage House.  I have experience with neither but am planning on giving both a try.  Sloan's is more expensive but Bangkok Sausage House offers home delivery.  Both claim to be home made or organic with no preservatives or msg.  That is something the Tops, Foodlands, Big C's likely don't offer.

10 years ago there was a sausage maker in Pattaya who made the most delicious sausages. His Cumberland sausage was sold as a ring sausage (which he eventually had to stop producing and switch to links due to pressure from his clients who wanted an easy way to divide up the sausage for storage,)  and so coarse it looked more like driveway gravel! Man, that was some really good sausage. Unfortunately, he passed away, and the sausage business has never been the same.

Sloan's and Bangkok Sausage House.  I have experience with neither but am planning on giving both a try.

Sounds good to me.  I really would like to stop making Italian sausage. It's easy enough to make, but to do it right, I have to make a large quantity (4-5kg) I don't have enough freezer space so when I make it, I have to give away 2-3kg.

Both claim to be home made or organic with no preservatives or msg.  That is something the Tops, Foodlands, Big C's likely don't offer.

Not something I'd pay extra for, especially in deli meat. Used correctly, there is no harm in either. Used incorrectly, and even milk can be dangerous.

Ok, it's done.  I just filled out the form on bangkok sausage house's front page.  They require 2kg of any sausage for a delivery order.  I ordered 1/2kg each of Bangers, Cumberland, Hot Italian and Sai Oua (for my wife).  Sloans have the same sausages but looks like I have to go to their store to pick them up.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I woke up Saturday morning and found a message from Bkk Sausage House.  It said it could deliver anytime that day and the delivery charge was 130 baht.  I think I'm not too far from them in Bang Na.  I called them and we arranged a delivery time of 1pm.  I had people coming over later in the aft so gave me time to thaw out the sausages.

Unfortunately I only was able to eat the Bangers and the Hot Italian and would recommend them both.  I was cooking them up on the barbie and when I put the cumberland on the table, the kids quickly ate them all before I got a chance to taste them.  The kids loved them, which is great but I really wanted to give them a go.  The Bangers were excellent.  Quite similar to what I've eaten in the UK.  The Hot Italian was also very good, could have been a bit more spicy but the flavour was spot on.  I didn't eat the Sai Oua as it's generally too spicy for me.  The ladies ate the half kg quickly and all said it was great.  The sausage guy told me on the phone that they have 2 versions of Sai Oua and just ran out of the spicy version.  The not-so-spicy version was a bit spicy but was packed with the flavour of the northern Thai sausage.

The cumberland was in links and wasn't as chunky as you'd typically get in the UK, the sausage guy said this is the way most people ask for it so that's the way they do it.  I will probably place an order again in the next couple of weeks and get a kilo of Cumberland and Bangers as they were a big hit with the kids.  Actually I'd buy the Hot Italian too and my wife and friends already want more Sai Oua, but the spicy version next time.

I'm still going to try Sloan's sausages.  I'll make a comment here when I do.