6 months left on passport

Friend with thai wife wants to get a Non-O 90 day and go to thailand early November and then apply for 60 day extension at the end of January. His passport will expire in early June however and he is wondering if they will give him an extension with  only 4 months left on passport.  Any suggestions??

If it was me, I would get a new passport. However, there is no reason he could not get the extension in January on the old passport if recognizing that most overseas travel he might contemplate will not be possible. The question is why put yourself in a position that might end up being extremely inconvenient when a new passport will soon be necessary anyway?

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If it was me, I would get a new passport. However, there is no reason he could not get the extension in January on the old passport if recognizing that most overseas travel he might contemplate will not be possible. The question is why put yourself in a position that might end up being extremely inconvenient when a new passport will soon be necessary anyway?

Agreed.  With less than 6 months validity on the passport travel would be restricted and the OP would most likely have to ensure he had a direct fight home.

14 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

In the UK they transfer the remaining 6 months onto the new passport. Maybe the same in your case

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

Nope, they will transfer up to 9 months validity.

On 10/7/2016 at 2:11 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

Friend with thai wife wants to get a Non-O 90 day and go to thailand early November and then apply for 60 day extension at the end of January. His passport will expire in early June however and he is wondering if they will give him an extension with  only 4 months left on passport.  Any suggestions??

Immigration will issue the extension as long as he has a passport valid for the length of stay the extension allows.

If the passport had less validity than the length of the extension they will issue the extension up to the date the passport expires.

• Like 1