Coolant............. do i need it.

My radiator topped up but there is a plastic box next to it with a pipe going in from the radiator and then a small pipe for out, that allows liquid to just fall down onto the ground.

The plastic box says coolant and is empty and had low, high levels marked on.  Should there be something in this, ie coolant or is the radiator full sufficient?

I am not an engine guy, so go easy on me if i am supposed to keep this topped up.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by thequietman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your plastic thingy is an expansion tank, it needs to be filled just above low when cold and just below high when hot. You top up that tank when COLD, do not open when hot...

Do not top up with water only, buy coolant...It is a corrosion inhibitor.....

Edited by transam

That "Pipe for out" is supposed to be there as a "vent" for the expansion tank. 

transam is right on the money. 

Have a look when everything is cold and keep the plastic tank thingy full just over the "low" mark. When you see it, its going to be at different levels depending on engine heat and cycling, but don't worry about that, just check it cold and keep it topped up to the low level. When hot it will probably be on the high level. 

If you are just "topping up" a little in the expansion tank, straight water will be fine, but its a good idea to keep a small water bottle of coolant/water mix for such purposes. 

As a general rule, in Thailand climate, a 50/50 mix of coolant and water will be fine. (Half straight water and half green engine coolant ratio) This will be ok for most cars & trucks but refer to your owners manual cause this should all be in there. 

That green stuff (or orange or whatever) is ethylene glycol & corrosion inhibitors. It does nothing at all to keep your engine cool. You CAN run straight water and it will stay just as cool. 

Now, the big question, did you notice the plastic tank just low? Or was it out of nowhere, for no reason, spilling coolant out of the "Pipe for out"? 

As mentioned above...the bigger question is why has the coolant disappeared? 

Also, there are many types of collants on the shelf and using the wrong one can really cause damage.  

Make sure to ask the auto parts counter clerk to determine which chemical composition your vehicle requires.

16 minutes ago, Strange said:

Have a look when everything is cold and keep the plastic tank thingy full just over the "low" mark. When you see it, its going to be at different levels depending on engine heat and cycling, but don't worry about that, just check it cold and keep it topped up to the low level. When hot it will probably be on the high level. 

If you are just "topping up" a little in the expansion tank, straight water will be fine, but its a good idea to keep a small water bottle of coolant/water mix for such purposes. 

As a general rule, in Thailand climate, a 50/50 mix of coolant and water will be fine. (Half straight water and half green engine coolant ratio) This will be ok for most cars & trucks but refer to your owners manual cause this should all be in there. 

That green stuff (or orange or whatever) is ethylene glycol & corrosion inhibitors. It does nothing at all to keep your engine cool. You CAN run straight water and it will stay just as cool. 

Now, the big question, did you notice the plastic tank just low? Or was it out of nowhere, for no reason, spilling coolant out of the "Pipe for out"? 

Never checked it before. I assume ford did when it was under warranty. On closer inspection, it is just slightly above low. Its a blue coloured liquid. I assume it evaporated over the 3 years since I stopped taking it to ford. I don't drive it hard or fast. The truck is 6 years old and has done 88,000 km. 

Will it be ok to drive to town to get some coolant there? I live in the sticks so none here. Town is about 25 minutes away.

Radiator is always full, I never need to top it up.

Thanks for any advice.

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

Never checked it before. I assume ford did when it was under warranty. On closer inspection, it is just slightly above low. Its a blue coloured liquid. I assume it evaporated over the 3 years since I stopped taking it to ford. I don't drive it hard or fast. The truck is 6 years old and has done 88,000 km. 

Will it be ok to drive to town to get some coolant there? I live in the sticks so none here. Town is about 25 minutes away.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes...

17 minutes ago, Strange said:

It does nothing at all to keep your engine cool. You CAN run straight water and it will stay just as cool. 

Actually that is incorrect the glycol changes the waters properties and assists with heat transfer over a wider range of temperatures (even though the pressurized system does this mostly and allows the water to run at a higher temp before boiling)

10 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Also, there are many types of collants on the shelf and using the wrong one can really cause damage

That is very correct so take a note of the coolant already in the system and make sure to match it or replace the entire system for new if not sure, if you only lost a small amount then topping up with water would not be an issue but frequent losses and dilutions will not be good for the engine

Just now, thequietman said:

Thanks for any advice.

From what you describe, YES you can 100% drive it and it sounds completely normal. 

Give me a minute to get you a better answer, but yes you can easily drive it. Detailed answer incoming .

5 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Actually that is incorrect the glycol changes the waters properties and assists with heat transfer over a wider range of temperatures (even though the pressurized system does this mostly and allows the water to run at a higher temp before boiling)

That is very correct so take a note of the coolant already in the system and make sure to match it or replace the entire system for new if not sure, if you only lost a small amount then topping up with water would not be an issue but frequent losses and dilutions will not be good for the engine

Can't tell the brand just by looking. Should I call Ford and ask them what coolant they put in their trucks? Its a Ranger.

Many thanks.

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Transam , Strange said to keep it slightly above 'low', thats where it is now. Do I need to put more?

Many thanks.

I keep mine midway between the bottle marks....You do the same...

3 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

The glycol keeps it from freezing, the pressure increases the boiling temp. In basic car talk don't need to over complicate it anymore than that. The engine will be just as cool with straight water and with a glycol mix. In a bind or emergency straight water is 100% no problem. 

Without knowing anything about the engine we are talking about, its pointless to speculate on the coolant requirements. 

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

Can't tell the brand just by looking. Should I call Ford and ask them what coolant they put in their trucks? Its a Ranger.

Many thanks.

Year, Make, Model, Engine type and Trans type and Ill let you know

4 minutes ago, thequietman said:

K,   thanks.  What brand to get?  Ranger.... 6 years old.......... blue color in it already.

Just full it up with water man don't overcomplicate it. 

The color does NOT indicate anything, you need to look in your owners manual for the coolant requirements. Or post the Year, make, model, engine type, and trans type so we can look up the standard. 

But just topping up the expansion tank, just put water in there. 

19 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Thanks for any advice.

If there is nothing wrong with your truck, you should never have to "Fill up the Radiator" 

Only top up the expansion tank. 

51 minutes ago, Strange said:

depending on age of car, and also how long u intend to keep the car.. i would go with distilled or de-ionized water... that way u don't leave deposits in the cooling system.

First of all, there shouldn't be anything "Blue" in the radiator or evap tank and should be "Yellow" if we want to go ahead and go by fords color code. Obviously whoever had been doing the service is using alternatives 

Just making sure, but, you are not looking at the windshield wiper tank are you by any chance?

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Just making sure, but, you are not looking at the windshield wiper tank are you by any chance?

No offence meant Strange and please don't be offended by my posts, BUT, please oh please let this be the correct version of what the OP is looking at

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

On closer inspection, it is just slightly above low. Its a blue coloured liquid. I assume it evaporated over the 3 years since I stopped taking it to ford. I don't drive it hard or fast. The truck is 6 years old and has done 88,000 km. 

57 minutes ago, transam said:

Remember, coolant (corrosion inhibitor) is a service item, seems it has a life span....If me I would go to B-Quik and tell them to replace it...Colour means nothing....

Agreed.

Your coolant has exceeded the manufacturer recommended life and the coolant in the system should be changed--it should be drained, flushed and filled with new coolant at a 50/50 mix. 

I am not sure the practices of a Thai Ford service center and I cannot say with certainty that they flush the system but they should atleast drain it thoroughly and refill with new. (BTW, does your vehicle have a heater? )

Good for you to have been curious enough about this to further investigate. 

Edited by ClutchClark