Ko Phangan

Hi there

I am planning on coming to Thailand in December with my girlfriend and potentially staying a few months.

One of my top choices for staying a while is Koh Phangan as I enjoyed it a lot on previous visits.

I was wondering how difficult it might be to find a house/bungalow to rent on the island for one month + if we are arriving in December, also wondering how safe it would be, any expats had problems with burglaries?

Also, Internet, is there mobile internet coverage on the island and if so is it fairly reliable?

Thanks for any replies

I find it strange no one from KP has offered up some answers 

I'm a little out of touch with the housing market, but would say if OP arrives early December, it would probably be easier to find than late December.

Phone/ internet  reception around the coastal areas is pretty good...these days. . 

Burglaries I don't think is a big problem, except possibly Had Rin. (?) 

Perhaps some KP guys or girls could add!

34 minutes ago, sash66 said:

Thanks for your reply, Jimmy.

Can you recommend a decent mobile operator for Phangan? I would just be using it for internet.

I found the Ko Phangan house for rent Facebook page which is very useful.

AIS has a tourist package for that and good coverage in the area – not sure however of how many "G" (2G/3G/4G) at Koh Phangan.

Sorry I cannot give you useful information about the other – however, Koh Phangan is problably like Koh Samui, so some of the good (or best) house-rent-bargains you'llfind by walking around locally and look for signs or ask folk, they are not always on the Internet. You can rent something temporary for a few days or a week, and search for the right place; however, as SamuiJimmy says, end of December become peak-season...

Perhaps worth warning that if you rent from a foreigner you are most likely breaking the law and you may also encounter problems with Samui Immigration if your stay is not reported to them.

Edited by ParadiseLost

5 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Perhaps worth warning that if you rent from a foreigner you are most likely breaking the law and you may also encounter problems with Samui Immigration if your stay is not reported to them.

Ok thanks

If renting from foreigners is illegal, why do they continue to try and rent them out?

So i suppose the owner of the property will register you when you pay them?

On 10/8/2016 at 1:38 PM, khunPer said:

AIS has a tourist package for that and good coverage in the area – not sure however of how many "G" (2G/3G/4G) at Koh Phangan.

Sorry I cannot give you useful information about the other – however, Koh Phangan is problably like Koh Samui, so some of the good (or best) house-rent-bargains you'llfind by walking around locally and look for signs or ask folk, they are not always on the Internet. You can rent something temporary for a few days or a week, and search for the right place; however, as SamuiJimmy says, end of December become peak-season...

Thanks

If I can get 3g then will be happy, hopefully someone with Phangan experience will chime in

12 hours ago, sash66 said:

Thanks

If I can get 3g then will be happy, hopefully someone with Phangan experience will chime in

We have 3G now at Samui, and it's said in the news (and by AIS office at Samui), that the 2G net shall close down in a couple of years, so probably upgraded; but I cannot say for sure...

15 hours ago, sash66 said:

Ok thanks

If renting from foreigners is illegal, why do they continue to try and rent them out?

So i suppose the owner of the property will register you when you pay them?

In the past few years this island has changed a lot in character; more and more foreigners 'own' properties and 'operate' businesses than ever before - even though no laws have changed to make this easier... It used to be Koh Tao was given over to corruption, but sadly KP has gone the same way. Police here are not enforcing the laws as they are too busy acting like revenue collectors. Everywhere there are young westerners doing the work of Thais.

Burmese workers are not allowed to be customer facing and may not handle cash by law, but in Thongsala there are many examples of western owned 'businesses' operated by Burmese staff. The police themselves are happy to frequent these dives, no mystery why.

The reason so many foreign owners will contact you is because it is so easy, they work illegally and cheat this country out out of taxes. Look how the government reacted to the 'zero dollar' tour operators to see how they feel about giving away tourist dollars... Phuket has now seen signs of a clampdown on dodgy renters who are breaking the hotel code. Hopefully the same is going to happen here soon.

Regarding the immigration problem: by law, every foreigner must have their presence declared to immigration dept or police within 24 hours of arrival, by the property owner (or proxy). This is done on-line by registered hotels and guesthouses, or by handwritten form in ALL other cases. Illegal operators hardly want to report their criminal activities so you can imagine this is not happening...

If you for example wish to extend your stay beyond your initial permission date you can apply at Samui immigration. However, when they check and you are not reported at the address you gave upon entry you can be in trouble, even though you had no idea.

It's money launderers paradise down here now. Please spend your money wisely and don't support criminals.

I expected to be abused for making such a damning comment; perhaps nobody wants to try to defend their criminal behavior. Or perhaps soviet block english is not up to the task.

Finding a house in phangan is easy, EVEN in December.

Prices for a 1 bedroom + balcony / wifi / fridge / kitchen and AC range from 9,000 - 15,000 baht at this time of the year.

You can join the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rentahousephangan/ 

However, its mostly foreigners posting and therefore there's a commission to every price tag.

Your best bet would be to rent a bike, leave your heavy-big-backpacks-bags at the bike shop, and go cruise the island.

There's plenty of houses around Baan tai / Baan Kai / Sri thanu (depends on which area you'd want to stay in)

You'll see a sign "house for rent" every 10 meters on the main roads, its useful to have a thai sim to call in case.

Most of the times, the owner would be living in the house nearby so you might be able to get by without calling.

Regarding burglaries , it depends mostly on your environment, if you live in the jungle alone and isolated - you're in a bigger risk.

However, if you're in a central area or with Thai neighbors around you're most likely safe.