What Are 5 Things You Wish You Knew Before You Came to Thailand?

Andrew C

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I would have absolutely no problem in saying what I expressed face to face. The whole point of a discussion is that many varying views are put across now if you belive some views are just rubish or Incorect you are allowed to say this. If the other poster does not like your views so be it live with it. 

I note the pack are responding to my posts as well as yours I can only guess at the negativity of them as I have found the ignore button.

One (several) man's folly  with his life choices and women choices, does not mean everyone elses life choices or women choices are as he or they would have everybody belive.  They got shafted tough live with it move on who cares apart from the people concerned. I have not been shadted used or lied to in my life/women choices maye they dont like that who knows. And I know many more who would agree. Further more it is the very same people on every thread they can manipulate to get there 'word of God" well rehearsed speach in.

You seem to be unnecessarily angry.

from what I understand, the question was what were the five things you wished you had known before coming to LoS.

surely that is an invitation to express your five things not to wax lyrical over how much you hate other people's list.

i stated that there was no need for what appeared to be a well educated person to join the LCD (lowest common denominator) inferring that you should rise above it.

i am sorry but I do not understand your reluctance to provide your list even as an alternative to those with which you disagree preferring instead to express your angst at others' often humourous, lists.

i for one had a major laugh at many of the responses and those that I disagreed with I tried to understand why they were posted as they were ( wind ups? Black humour? Truth?) but I did not feel the need to blast them for their post after all we did lose many very good lives over the centuries to be allowed to develop this ability to express ourselves in relative freedom without someone getting overly upset about what we believe.

the problem today and probably one of the most significant reasons that many posters here decided to move out here is due to those "female warriors" who believe everything said by men is a mysoginous attack on their femininity which ironically is demeaned by their testosterone fuelled attacks on their male co inhabitants on this earth. 

I cannot not see any reason to join that intolerant group of individuals unless of course .................

frankly my decision to move here was entirely based on having a lovely woman of the same age as me who has stood by me through thick and thin and who wants to be a female not some intolerant feminist who has a major issue with the males because she cannot land one who respects her.

yes it has its challenges in the cultural and M/F differences but I married for better or for worse and when the chips are down I hunker down and weather the storm allowing her to rethink any wisdom that I may think I have imparted. 99% of the time we end up agreeing with each other and life then continues.

however you teased me to respond and I took the bait but I will not continue what is rapidly becoming a discussion on why we should all respect your views over others even when you offer no alternatives.

i hate to be rude but I seriously believe that it is now time to grow up and move on or press your ignore button that you claim to have (but do not use ) please.

Edited by The Dark Lord
Correction to overzealous spell corrector

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

You seem to be unnecessarily angry.

from what I understand, the question was what were the five things you wished you had known before coming to LoS.

surely that is an invitation to express your five things not to wax lyrical over how much you hate other people's list.

i stated that there was no need for what appeared to be a well educated person to join the LCD (lowest common denominator) inferring that you should rise above it.

i am sorry but I do not understand your reluctance to provide your list even as an alternative to those with which you disagree preferring instead to express your angst at others' often humourous, lists.

i for one had a major laugh at many of the responses and those that I disagreed with I tried to understand why they were posted as they were ( wind ups? Black humour? Truth?) but I did not feel the need to blast them for their post after all we did lose many very good lives over the centuries to be allowed to develop this ability to express ourselves in relative freedom without someone getting overly upset about what we believe.

the problem today and probably one of the most significant reasons that many posters here decided to move out here is due to those "female warriors" who believe everything said by men is a mysoginous attack on their femininity which ironically is demeaned by their testosterone fuelled attacks on their male co inhabitants on this earth. 

I cannot not see any reason to join that intolerant group of individuals unless of course .................

frankly my decision to move here was entirely based on having a lovely woman of the same age as me who has stood by me through thick and thin and who wants to be a female not some intolerant feminist who has a major issue with the males because she cannot land one who respects her.

yes it has its challenges in the cultural and M/F differences but I married for better or for worse and when the chips are down I hunker down and weather the storm allowing her to rethink any wisdom that I may think I have imparted. 99% of the time we end up agreeing with each other and life then continues.

however you teased me to respond and I took the bait but I will not continue what is rapidly becoming a discussion on why we should all respect your views over others even when you offer no alternatives.

i hate to be rude but I seriously believe that it is now time to grow up and move on or press your ignore button that you claim to have (but do not use ) please.

No 6 another waste of air

1. Many Thai people lie like it's nothing. No remorse whatsoever.

2. When you are on a motorbike on the highway, cars and trucks coming from the opposite direction will often pass the vehicle in front of them and EXPECT you to move onto the shoulder and sometimes even the dirt/gravel on the side of the road. (NOTE: This happens way more often in Cambodia.)

3. For many Thais on the road: Green = I can go. Yellow = I can go. Red = I can still go.

4. It can be incredibly difficult to purchase a used motorbike on Craigslist and register it into your name. Many documents are required and (chances are) they have to be filled out perfectly. Also, make sure the previous owner has the green book in their possession. If they don't and it's because they haven't paid off the bike yet, it could take two months or longer for the green book to come in.

5. The land transport office and immigration office in Chonburi are much more relaxed with the rules (compared to Bangkok), they're faster and they often have people working there who speak English.

6. If you purchase a motorbike/car in Thailand and you try to leave with it, you will receive an export permit from customs which says you can't take the vehicle outside the country for more than 30 days. If you come back after 30 days with the vehicle, customs will fine you 1000 baht per day up to 10000 baht maximum. If you come back after 6 months, the vehicle could (allegedly) get confiscated by customs. Extensions of the export permit can be obtained from customs at the border under special circumstances. Some claim to have gotten 3 month, 6 month and 12 month extensions for a variety of reasons including a 6 month motorbike tour to Russia and back. 

7. If you plan to be driving a lot, get a Thai driver license as soon as possible! You will pay less (the Thai price instead of the farang price) at national parks and police officers will not hassle you as much. You can get a Thai driver license at the land transport office in Chonburi which is valid for 2 years without having to take the written test (so long as your driver license from your home country is still valid), within 2 hours (if you show up early in the morning) and for less than 500 baht.

Edited by Italianhawksfan

49 minutes ago, Italianhawksfan said:

I've now heard two people mention this... What is the "face" thing???

Honest answer, read up on the topic. 

Quick intoxicated answer, do not cause a scene or make a Thai look bad in public. They can not handle it and will lose their sh*t. 

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Honest answer, read up on the topic.

By searching for what, "that face thing"? lol

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

Quick intoxicated answer, do not cause a scene or make a Thai look bad in public. They can not handle it and will lose their sh*t. 

So by "face thing" people are referring to the concept of causing someone to "lose face" (to disrespect, embarrass or humiliate someone in public and cause them to lose their composure)?

On 10/10/2016 at 7:07 AM, Deepinthailand said:

I would have absolutely no problem in saying what I expressed face to face. The whole point of a discussion is that many varying views are put across now if you belive some views are just rubish or Incorect you are allowed to say this. If the other poster does not like your views so be it live with it. 

I note the pack are responding to my posts as well as yours I can only guess at the negativity of them as I have found the ignore button.

One (several) man's folly  with his life choices and women choices, does not mean everyone elses life choices or women choices are as he or they would have everybody belive.  They got shafted tough live with it move on who cares apart from the people concerned. I have not been shadted used or lied to in my life/women choices maye they dont like that who knows. And I know many more who would agree. Further more it is the very same people on every thread they can manipulate to get there 'word of God" well rehearsed speach in.

Hey, say whatever you want buddy. Just be prepared to accept the consequences. Both Thai and Foreigner. I believe you are the one that needs to accept other points of view. 

Just now, Italianhawksfan said:

By searching for what, "that face thing"? lol

So by "face thing" people are referring to the concept of causing someone to "lose face" (to disrespect, embarrass or humiliate someone in public and cause them to lose their composure)?

Haha yeah "Lose Face" is exactly what "that face thing" is. Pretty much all of SEA can not take it. Right or Wrong they will lose their sh*t. 

On 10/8/2016 at 7:14 PM, Pdaz said:

After reading most of the <deleted> posted above I wonder why many of you even bothered to leave home ?  

^I tend to agree (past tense of course). however I expected virtually all these responses being it primarily comprises of older men.

To the OP, the question was "the things you wish you knew BEFORE you came to Thailand". I do not have any interestingly enough. Most of the comments stated all seem like common sense if you were planning on moving anywhere in the world. 

Money, scams, women...You needed to know that BEFORE you came?...Really?  Hell that's just flat common sense. The ones complaining after the fact should step back and ask themselves what happened to their common sense when they landed at the airport in BKK?:smile:

1) Money is the only basis for respect.

2) Almost every life choice is motivated by a quest for social status.

3) Keeping up with the Joneses is paramount.

4) The average Thai's understanding of Buddhist philosophy is, by and large, superficial or non-existent.

5) Thais, for the most part, don't know what they don't know, and they aren't interested in finding out.