What Are 5 Things You Wish You Knew Before You Came to Thailand?

Andrew C

What are some things you wish you knew/ wish someone told you before you moved to Thailand?

For Example: maybe you wish someone told you how expensive Brand Name items are or how expensive the Fast Food restaurants are.

Things like that. Try to list 5!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The scummiest, most dishonest people seem to be Brits.

2. There's no real need for a Thai wife / GF. The happiest expats seem to be single. 

3. Avoid travelling by vans at all cost.

4. Don't waste your money at fancy restaurants. You can usually find better food at small, street-side joints.

5. Spend more time in Malaysia -- it's better country.

PS. Re point #1. I ought to point out I'm English.

Edited by Fabricus

I was too lazy do do my "homework" beforehand.
Otherwise I would have been better prepared to cope with the fact that Farangs and Thai's think "differently".
And more: That some segments of "thinking differently", can not be "Bridget-over".

Reminds me of the song "We are the same, but not the same". (Johnnie Cash, among others).
Cheers.
PS: I will list the other 639 points in a separate thread.

1. The 30 day rule l thought l could stay 90 days,  8 days fine @ 200 baht.

2. Learning a bit more Thai,  why did people laughed at saying swaddie khar.

3. Going touring North sooner than l did but planning my own tour plan.

4. Learning more about the culture.

5. The 2007 financial crash, would of got all my dosh from UK sooner. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

1. The 30 day rule l thought l could stay 90 days,  8 days fine @ 200 baht.

2. Learning a bit more Thai,  why did people laughed at saying swaddie khar.

3. Going touring North sooner than l did but planning my own tour plan.

4. Learning more about the culture.

5. The 2007 financial crash, would of got all my dosh from UK sooner. 

why did people laughed at saying swaddie khar.

Are you male or female?

1.  Knowing for sure that that in your Thai girls' heart there is room for you

2. Wishing you knew that a Thai Girls' heart, has many rooms

3/4/5 when my brain de-fogs from the first two, I will get back to this...

6 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:
  1. LoS does not mean Land of Smiles, it means Land of Scams
  2. See above
  3. See above
  4. See above
  5. See above

Thailand really isnt a land of scams , regular Thais are quite honest , its just the prostitutes who are liars scammers and cheats 

1 -bring minimal money into thailand.

2 - renting is the best. never buy.

3 - short time is best. no need to bring hookers back to your house.

4 - if you go into business expect problems even if you do everything by the book

5 - have to assume everything is a scam. can even get scammed out of a deposit buying a new car.

6 (bonus one) read up on thai visa. a lot of negative stuff here but it is better to be prepared than ignorantly bliss.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Thailand really isnt a land of scams , regular Thais are quite honest , its just the prostitutes who are liars scammers and cheats 

you are right. thais are decent people as a general rule. the ones in the tourist towns just tend to be the bottom of the barrel. you can only be scammed by a bar girl if you let them.

That the "Thai smile" does not always represent the same as in Western  culture. A smile may be given because of being embarrassed, to save "Face", or not show anger. A smile does not always mean generosity.

Though it is not custom to show anger or frustration in Thai culture, when anger kicks in, Thais can go ballistic or go overboard seeking revenge. Surprising, death seems to not have as much value as in Western culture. This may have to do with re-carnation or one is born a "certain" way -good or bad. (hard to explain)

Soap Operas seem to play (unfortunately) into ones idea in solving daily problems: suicide over a broken heart; killing someone over an argument; or belief in ghosts.

To be patient ...never show anger or superiority...go with the flow.

Though Thailand is a Buddhist country, it does not seem to have "harmony" with nature, they throw garbage in sea, along the highways, and many do not throw their litter in a bin - just leave it on the street or sidewalk. (need to be more community minded through education)

Due to the education system, most students are not taught to think "outside the box"...they memorize for tests and are not given enough opportunity to collaborate and come up with original ideas; thus, many Thais will wait for "orders" or be told what to do instead of being an independent thinker (unless they are fortunate to go to a good school.)

Compared to other Asian countries, customer service can be lacking (again it will vary with training and good management). Thais have no good role models in how to wait on a customer. Looking at their smart-phones, slopping down soup behind a counter while a customer needs help, or not being familiar with the product an be a common experience. Again, this is due to lack of good management or no commission given for sales.

The positives out weigh the negatives. Just need to be aware that the image you get from the Tourist Bureau is a bit off.

1 .  That a visa in respect of marriage would become a load of documentation trouble .

2 .  Better to have a retirement Visa , though more expensive .

3 .  Don't get married , or if you must , have a Thai family style wedding , you can leave without problems .

4.  Respectable Thai women are not accustomed to making love western style , kissing , cuddling , caressing intimately .

Thais seem accustomed to copulate quickly and dash to the bathroom .

5.  Better not to Buy a house , rent or lease , unless a condo in your own name .  I chose a woman with her own house and adult children .

If I had come to Thailand without a girlfriend , I would have gone to live by the sea somewhere like Krabi or Trang .

Totally avoid agreeing to start a relationship (girlfriend or boyfriend) with a Thai.

When you need companionship, you can pay any coin operated local.   It will save you big time/in the long run.

Knowing that Thais love money way above health, being honest, being faithful,  being honest, etc.  Not to fall for the I Love You line.

if you are concerned about spending more then you think you should on an apartment/monthly rental, try renting in a upper end Thai apartment building (at least 5,000 baht per month) which would have the basic a/c & western bathroom).

Thailand's emergency health services are very weak.   

Don't buy a car or a condo.

1 hour ago, toenail said:

That the "Thai smile" does not always represent the same as in Western  culture. A smile may be given because of being embarrassed, to save "Face", or not show anger. A smile does not always mean generosity.

Though it is not custom to show anger or frustration in Thai culture, when anger kicks in, Thais can go ballistic or go overboard seeking revenge. Surprising, death seems to not have as much value as in Western culture. This may have to do with re-carnation or one is born a "certain" way -good or bad. (hard to explain)

Soap Operas seem to play (unfortunately) into ones idea in solving daily problems: suicide over a broken heart; killing someone over an argument; or belief in ghosts.

To be patient ...never show anger or superiority...go with the flow.

Though Thailand is a Buddhist country, it does not seem to have "harmony" with nature, they throw garbage in sea, along the highways, and many do not throw their litter in a bin - just leave it on the street or sidewalk. (need to be more community minded through education)

Due to the education system, most students are not taught to think "outside the box"...they memorize for tests and are not given enough opportunity to collaborate and come up with original ideas; thus, many Thais will wait for "orders" or be told what to do instead of being an independent thinker (unless they are fortunate to go to a good school.)

Compared to other Asian countries, customer service can be lacking (again it will vary with training and good management). Thais have no good role models in how to wait on a customer. Looking at their smart-phones, slopping down soup behind a counter while a customer needs help, or not being familiar with the product an be a common experience. Again, this is due to lack of good management or no commission given for sales.

The positives out weigh the negatives. Just need to be aware that the image you get from the Tourist Bureau is a bit off.

I'm new to Thailand, but seems I am prepared. This could have been written verbatim about Filipinos. Out of the frying pan...

22 hours ago, Fabricus said:

2. There's no real need for a Thai wife / GF. The happiest expats seem to be single. 

4. Don't waste your money at fancy restaurants. You can usually find better food at small, street-side joints.

Bye

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

1 -bring minimal money into thailand.

2 - renting is the best. never buy.

3 - short time is best. no need to bring hookers back to your house.

4 - if you go into business expect problems even if you do everything by the book

5 - have to assume everything is a scam. can even get scammed out of a deposit buying a new car.

6 (bonus one) read up on thai visa. a lot of negative stuff here but it is better to be prepared than ignorantly bliss.

1. Rubish

2. Total rubish

3. So you prefer lady boys.

4. Even more rubish than 1 and 2.

5. Posative and totaly rubish.

6.. you are having a laugh aren't you minus 10 points.

So in total all rubish but point 6 is pathetic.

1.) Money number 1.

2.) I thought Buddhist people meditated but never seen this.

3.) Thai culture is constantly changing and evolving. No matter how much you go out your way to be hospitable the "Your not Thai" attitude wins the day.

4) Learning Thai language should be avoided. Especially if you get married to a Thai.

5) Stay longer than 2 years and you'll get addicted, never want to leave. You'll end up on here TV.

Those are the 5 things I wish someone told me. But, I regret nothing. Coming to Thailand and living here is great. I just hope and pray that this continues.

23 hours ago, Fabricus said:

I agree with no. 1. A Brit did me out of  bt 6million.