Hotel owner faces forest encroachment charges

snoop1130

Hotel owner faces forest encroachment charges

Kongleaphy Keam

1_201610718126761_fplqCPboUiELdyrYhOCwvOcdoSzudoHJdtAgIbUd_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- A team from the Royal Forestry Department (RFD) raided a hotel located on the Bypass Road this morning after locals complained that the establishment was encroaching on forest land.

“We got a complaint in March that the Hilltop Hotel and Residence, located behind the Wang Mai wooden shop, was encroaching on forest land,” said RFD Deputy Director General Somchai Masathian. 

“After investigating, we found that the hotel is built on about 4 rai of land, for which the owner has a valid chanote. However, additional construction, including staircases, walkways, restrooms, sheds and so on, extend 3 rai beyond the area covered by the chanote,” he added.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Hotel-owner-faces-forest-encroachment-charges/65684?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-10-07

Obviously there are different classes and quality of encroachers. There is the ordinary everyday mug encroacher who ends up with nothing when the big boys move in. Then there are the well connected and well heeled encroachers who just keep counting the money. Just like they do in Hua Hin.

Why would junta officials have to 'raid' a hotel over encroachment?  Just have someone from the provincial  office serve the hotel notice of the encroachment with a deadline to demolish the offending structures. Miss the deadline and send in the bulldozers.  Looks more like a photo op for the high flying noodle man to me!

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Did I read this right.  Owner has a chanote for 1 rai and built out 3 more? 

>> Mr Somchai said that the value to the government of this lost piece of land is more than 250,000 baht.

80,000 baht per rai sounds a bit on the low side eh?

No, you did not read right:

" After investigating, we found that the hotel is built on about 4 rai of land, for which the owner has a valid chanote. ".

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

No, you did not read right:

" After investigating, we found that the hotel is built on about 4 rai of land, for which the owner has a valid chanote. ".

So you're saying it's on 7 rai then? 

>> extend 3 rai beyond the area covered by the chanote,” he added.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

So you're saying it's on 7 rai then? 

>> extend 3 rai beyond the area covered by the chanote,” he added.

No, that's not what I'm saying, that's what the OP is saying.

5 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

So, is it one rai chanote and 3 rai encroaching, or 4 rai chanote and 3 rai encroaching? 

According to the article, as mentioned a few times now, 4 rai chanote and 3 rai encroaching.

Hotel Owner: "But I was told, if I bought 4 Rai, I would get 3 Rai for free."

RFD:  "Not for free now.  You must pay us.  Your payment will go towards bringing "Peace and Happiness" to our families."  :smile:

Edited by NamKangMan