Russia gets permanent Syrian air base, ponders reopening Cuban and Vietnamese bases

rooster59

Russia gets permanent Syrian air base, ponders reopening Cuban and Vietnamese bases

606x341_346062.jpg

The Russian parliament has voted to ratify a treaty allowing Russian troops to stay in Syria indefinitely, and making the air base in Latakia permanent. It also confers diplomatic immunity status on military personnel.

The vote passed unopposed as lawmakers agreed it would confer legitimacy on the Russian presence in Syria.

“Russia is a peaceloving country and it always underlines that we are doing everything to support peace. If we speak about the operation in Syria it is a fight against terrorism. This is a fight against evil and this is a question that is important and which worries Russian citizens and people from other countries as well,” said the Chairman of the Russian parliament Vyacheslav Volodin.

Syria already has Russia’s only overseas military base, the naval facility at Tartus, and the addition of a permanent air base strengthens its regional position. Other Russian officials used the occasion to speculate that Moscow might be thinking of reopening its former bases in Cuba and Vietnam, an idea already floated in the past by President Vladimir Putin.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-08

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Different ways to read this. The media will push the notion that this was all part of their evil plan for world domination, despite the lack of a military large enough to ever achieve such. Alternate thoughts will be that it is a response to NATO encirclement.

Either way, not a positive move if it ever eventuates. I was under the impression though that Vietnam and Cuba were moving more into the US circle of influence, so wonder if its really just jaw boning.

2 hours ago, Steely Dan said:

Russia has killed more civilians in Syria than ISIS. They systematically commit war crimes including targeting civilians and using cluster bombs, which is indeed two war crimes in one. Roll on a U.S administration that stands up to these murderers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

doubt any of us really know what is going on there. was trying to find stats on who is doing all the killing but i doubt they really mean much. my guess is it would be better for the states to get the hell out and let the government get on with finishing this. cant see any other solution.

Diplomatic immunity for military personnel committing crimes against humanity in Syria is a huge deal. It isn't up to just Russia where they open a base. Probably more of Putin pounding his chest. His economy is in bad shape. Seems Putin is doing some of this to help boost arms sales?

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Diplomatic immunity for military personnel committing crimes against humanity in Syria is a huge deal. It isn't up to just Russia where they open a base. Probably more of Putin pounding his chest. His economy is in bad shape. Seems Putin is doing some of this to help boost arms sales?

I think the only reason for this is for domestic political reasons, to show that he is making Russia great again.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Interesting that there is nothing in the OP about Syria's position re having Russian troops stay indefinably and getting a permanent air base on top of it.

Assad is hanging on for dear life.  without russia, he would have been gone years ago.  The future doesn't look bright for him. Russia has already said they didn't really care for him. Syria may end up like Transnistria!  LOL  Where I will be tomorrow!

Hmm, if they reopen a base in Vietnam (always assuming that the Vietnamese are happy with it) how are they going to get the kit to it?

Can you imagine asking the Chinese: "We're opening a military base in the area you very much regard as your backyard, can we have permission to overfly your country to get our aircraft there in the first place, and then to keep them supplied?"

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I think the only reason for this is for domestic political reasons, to show that he is making Russia great again.

So one man is making Russia great and one hope to win election to make US great ......  Same same but different :giggle: 

10 minutes ago, bokningar said:

So one man is making Russia great and one hope to win election to make US great ......  Same same but different :giggle: 

Yes, I also see quite a few similarities between the two.

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

doubt any of us really know what is going on there. was trying to find stats on who is doing all the killing but i doubt they really mean much. my guess is it would be better for the states to get the hell out and let the government get on with finishing this. cant see any other solution.

Couldn't have said it better. We seem to be in the minority though. I sure don't like the looks of things going forward. Oh well whats a few thousand kids here and there. Big money to be made.

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

Not really the same.  One is a clever egotist and very dangerous.  The other is a stupid egotist and that makes him dangerous if he should become President.

Thank god that won't happen!

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Not really the same.  One is a clever egotist and very dangerous.  The other is a stupid egotist and that makes him dangerous if he should become President.

Thank god that won't happen!

Hence the "but different" part :-)

But I will wait to see what will happen and not, it was an election in UK with  result that wouldn't happen not that long ago.......  

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Assad is hanging on for dear life.  without russia, he would have been gone years ago.  The future doesn't look bright for him. Russia has already said they didn't really care for him. Syria may end up like Transnistria!  LOL  Where I will be tomorrow!

Hanging on for dear life....really? There are many syrians who would prefer Assad compared to the alternatives.Athough Russia (and previously The Soviet Union) is an long time supporter of the Syrian regime,direct Russian involvment in the war just started in 2015.

Assad will not be gone for a long time yet(if ever).

2 hours ago, Yahooka said:

Hanging on for dear life....really? There are many syrians who would prefer Assad compared to the alternatives.Athough Russia (and previously The Soviet Union) is an long time supporter of the Syrian regime,direct Russian involvment in the war just started in 2015.

Assad will not be gone for a long time yet(if ever).

There are also many who want him gone, thus the civil war. As far as Russia...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-russia-idUSKCN0SS0TY20151103

Russia does not see keeping Bashar al-Assad in power as a matter of principle, the Foreign Ministry in Moscow said on Tuesday in comments that suggested a divergence of opinion with Iran, the Syrian president's other main international backer.

20 hours ago, Steely Dan said:

Russia has killed more civilians in Syria than ISIS. They systematically commit war crimes including targeting civilians and using cluster bombs, which is indeed two war crimes in one. Roll on a U.S administration that stands up to these murderers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The only thing less likely than that is  the US standing up to the murderous Saudis in Yemen. You know, the invasion of Yemen that the US is actively supporting with intelligence and materiel.

Edited by ilostmypassword

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

I don't think Russia knows what its getting into building a base in a Muslim country.

Neither country is Muslim. But they've already got experience fighting Muslims in Chechnya,  Afghanistan and now Syria. With bases setup in two.

21 hours ago, JAG said:

Hmm, if they reopen a base in Vietnam (always assuming that the Vietnamese are happy with it) how are they going to get the kit to it?

Can you imagine asking the Chinese: "We're opening a military base in the area you very much regard as your backyard, can we have permission to overfly your country to get our aircraft there in the first place, and then to keep them supplied?"

Aren't both Vietnam and Cuba getting more friendly with the US now?  

Why would either want to get back in bed with the leader of the former USSR that fizzled away? 

Putin wants to build a new Russian Empire and also have a bigger sphere of influence. This is going to bring him into conflict with the US and probably China at some point. He just doesn't get it, times have changed and his sabre rattling isn't what it was.

13 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I don't think Russia knows what its getting into building a base in a Muslim country.

The old communist USSR and it's allies always had good relations with Muslim countries. Syria was well supported and most Arab countries used USSR/Warsaw Pact arms and equipment and had plenty of "advisers". 

The failed miserable in Afghan but so does every other foreigner who goes there. But in Arab countries they've done alright in the past.

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Neither country is Muslim. But they've already got experience fighting Muslims in Chechnya,  Afghanistan and now Syria. With bases setup in two.

I stand corrected if Syria is indeed not a Muslim country, I sure thought it was, my bad. I know things didn't go well in Afghanistan, I guess I'm not sure about Chechnya.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Aren't both Vietnam and Cuba getting more friendly with the US now?  

Why would either want to get back in bed with the leader of the former USSR that fizzled away? 

Putin wants to build a new Russian Empire and also have a bigger sphere of influence. This is going to bring him into conflict with the US and probably China at some point. He just doesn't get it, times have changed and his sabre rattling isn't what it was.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the US Navy, whilst not exactly being given basing rights, was being allowed to use Cam Ranh Bay naval base by the Vietnamese.

After all, they've got all the charts, and probably a set of duplicate keys stuffed in the back of a drawer in the Pentagon!

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The old communist USSR and it's allies always had good relations with Muslim countries. Syria was well supported and most Arab countries used USSR/Warsaw Pact arms and equipment and had plenty of "advisers". 

The failed miserable in Afghan but so does every other foreigner who goes there. But in Arab countries they've done alright in the past.

Yeah and I think the US had a lot to do with their troubles in Afghan. I have heard that there is a tremendous amount of untapped resources in the mountains of Afghan, otherwise I'm sure the Russians nor the US would care much.

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the US Navy, whilst not exactly being given basing rights, was being allowed to use Cam Ranh Bay naval base by the Vietnamese.

After all, they've got all the charts, and probably a set of duplicate keys stuffed in the back of a drawer in the Pentagon!

I think you are right, Vietnam is not too happy with China right now.  There is a great story out there on the net about the last time China invaded Vietnam by the sea.