Getting Retirement Visa at home or in Thailand?

This question is to any member who is on a Retirement Visa.  In a few months I will apply for a retirement Visa at my local Thai Consulate.  I meet all the qualifications and believe this is the best route for me.  But I have heard from others it is better to arrive in Thailand on a Tourist Visa and then apply for the Retirement Visa.  Any thoughts on the two ways of obtaining a Retirement Visa?  The local consulate seems very straightforward on the entire Visa process.  

Here's my experience applying for an O-A visa from a Thai consulate in my home country:

1. Applied for a 12-month, multiple-entry visa. Success
  2. Entered Thailand about 6 months later (12-month, multiple-entry visa gives you 12 months from date of issue to enter Thailand)
  3. Traveled home and around Asia a few times, last re-entry was a few days before the 12-month visa expired
  4. Re-entry gave me a further 12-month stay ie. automatic 12-month extension on arrival at Swampy
  5. Applied for a  multiple entry permit in Bangkok
  6. Traveled home and around Asia a few times, last re-entry was a couple of weeks before the final 12-month visa extension expired
  7. Got my paperwork together and applied for an extension at Chaeng Wattana
  8. Success

If you're coming to stay then I'd apply for the single-entry 3-month visa; if you plan on a few trips then I'd get the 12-month visa

Edited by SaintLouisBlues
  • Like 1

An O-A visa (AKA a long stay or "retirement" visa) obtained in your home country, if used appropriately. permits a stay of almost 2 years before an extension of stay (obtained from a Thai immigration office) is required. 

To obtain an "O" visa entry conversion from a tourist visa can be done at a few Thai immigration offices, but requires that 800K Bht in a Thai bankor evidence of a 65K Bht income is available and two visits to immigration. Toward the end of the 90 days the "O" visa provides an extension of stay based on retirement must be applied for.

Applying  for a OA visa at an embassy or official consulate is good choice for many people. It is possible to get a total stay of 2 years from it by getting a new one year entry just before it expires. For those using the money in the bank option to meet the financial requirement it means you can keep the funds in your home country which for many people makes the OA visa the preferred choice. 

Entering on tourist visa and doing a change to a non immigrant visa entry is a good option but can be problematic to get done dependent upon where you are living. Not all immigration offices can do the change meaning you might have to make 2 trips to Bangkok immigration or going to a nearby embassy or consulate to obtain a single entry non-o visa. If wanting to do the extension of stay based upon retirement it would be best to get a single entry non-o visa from a honorary Thai consulate  before traveling. if possible.

• Like 2

Years ago I applied for a retirement visa in Los Angeles. Everything was going well until it came to the medical letter. They wanted tests for all sorts of diseases. I took the form to my regular doctor and she refused to sign it until all the tests were actually performed. Some were very expensive and my insurance refused to pay for them. Instead of the retirement visa the embassy gave me a multiple entry six month visa. The airline would not allow me to buy a one way flight without a visa. Thai immigration would not give me a retirement visa until the six month visa was used up. Everything finally went smoothly so no complaints from me. That was quite a few years ago.

5 hours ago, Gary A said:

Years ago I applied for a retirement visa in Los Angeles. Everything was going well until it came to the medical letter. They wanted tests for all sorts of diseases. I took the form to my regular doctor and she refused to sign it until all the tests were actually performed. Some were very expensive and my insurance refused to pay for them. Instead of the retirement visa the embassy gave me a multiple entry six month visa. The airline would not allow me to buy a one way flight without a visa. Thai immigration would not give me a retirement visa until the six month visa was used up. Everything finally went smoothly so no complaints from me. That was quite a few years ago.

U call that smoothly? 

But I have heard from others it is better to arrive in Thailand on a Tourist Visa and then apply for the Retirement Visa. 

Better to start out with a non-imm OA (often called a retirement visa) or a non-imm O in your home country.

The O-A will give you a year's stay and just before the visa expires you can exit and re-entry Thailand for another one year's stay. Towards the end of your permission to stay you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement (not a visa) at your local immigrations office. Some people think getting the OA is a hassle, but I didn't find it to be that much of a problem.

If you get the non-imm O you get a 90 day stay when you arrive and you can apply for the extension around 30 days before your permission to stay ends. 

Starting with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry involves an extra step since you need to apply to immigrations to convert your entry to a non-imm O entry, which would require at least two visits to immigrations and, depending on where you are staying, you might need to do that in Bangkok since not all offices can handle the conversion application. If you get the conversion you would then proceed as described above.

While the OA is often called a retirement visa, it is only available at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residence. In Thailand when you are ready to apply for the annual extension, you would be getting an extension of your permission to stay, not a visa. While you are here on an extension (or during the second year of your OA entry) you would need to get a re-entry permit if you plan to leave the country and return since at that point you only have permission to be in the country. You no longer have a valid visa which would allow you to re-enter Thailand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

from whai i've seen here, most seem to think a tourist visa , then in thailand convert to a non-immigrant-O and then get an extension based on retirement. lots of folks here will have all the details

Not sure what country he is from but you can't get immigrant - o not 

you can only get  tourist visa 

you have to do your retirement to Lisaretirement to Vias from your country the first time 

2 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Not sure what country he is from but you can't get immigrant - o not 

you can only get  tourist visa 

you have to do your retirement to Lisaretirement to Vias from your country the first time 

???   ----------

Can you clarify what you are trying to say ?

Just now, georgemandm said:

You have to go back to your country to get that visa can't be done in thailand retirement visa 

A conversion to a Non "O" entry can be done in Thailand using an entry gained from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

There is no "retirement visa"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fithman said:

A conversion to a Non "O" entry can be done in Thailand using an entry gained from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

5 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Not sure are you 

will from my country you can't get a o 

but not sure about what you are saying 

have you done it ? 

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Not sure are you 

will from my country you can't get a o 

but not sure about what you are saying 

have you done it ? 

Since you ask I have done it!

I got a conversion from a 30 day visa exempt entry to a Non "O" entry in 2012 !  :smile: 

As a result I am very sure !

2 hours ago, Fithman said:

Since you ask I have done it!

I got a conversion from a 30 day visa exempt entry to a Non "O" entry in 2012 !  :smile: 

As a result I am very sure !

That was 2012 now it is 2016 not the same ok 

you to do them in your own country now 

The Thai Consulate in Los Angeles will issue a O-A (Retirement Visa) if you meet the requirements and complete the paperwork.  The fee is $200 USD(this will get me a Mutl-Entry Visa).  Thanks for all who have responded your comments are appreciated. 

22 hours ago, Gary A said:

You can use a different doctor.  There are medical doctors you can find online who can order tests for you much cheaper that the offices.   Maybe they would issue the letter without having to take all the test if they evaluate other aspects of your medical history.

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The Thai Consulate in Los Angeles will issue a O-A (Retirement Visa) if you meet the requirements and complete the paperwork.  The fee is $200 USD(this will get me a Mutl-Entry Visa).  Thanks for all who have responded your comments are appreciated. 

Ok good that is the way to go you will not regret it cheers all the best 

22 hours ago, Gary A said:

My doctor thought it was a joke and signed it without performing any tests

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 8:04 AM, georgemandm said:

That was 2012 now it is 2016 not the same ok 

you to do them in your own country now 

I suggest you check with ubonjoe or read his post above as he says it can be done and he is quite up to date on all this stuff

33 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

read what?

Look I not care ok sick of people getting on here and going on and on and on 

i have done the visa thing and know how it works ,it have all changed ok if you not believe I not care ok 

just trying to help out the member who ask for help not the know all's who jump in 

18 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Look I not care ok sick of people getting on here and going on and on and on 

i have done the visa thing and know how it works ,it have all changed ok if you not believe I not care ok 

just trying to help out the member who ask for help not the know all's who jump in 

there are various routes to a visa for thailand. From my many visits to this site, I have a lot of faith in Ubonjoe's expertise and expect that he too knows how it works .