US blames Russia for hacking political sites

rooster59

US blames Russia for hacking political sites

DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. on Friday blamed the Russian government for the hacking of political sites and accused Moscow of trying to interfere with the upcoming presidential election.

Pressure has been mounting on the Obama administration to call out Russia for the hacking of U.S. political sites and email accounts. The hacking claim Friday was another setback in already strained U.S.-Russia relations.

The White House declined to say whether the formal attribution would trigger sanctions against Russia. A senior Obama administration official said the U.S. would respond "at a time and place of our choosing," but any retaliation may not take place in the open.

The official said the public won't necessarily know what actions the U.S. has already taken or will take in the future against Russia in cyberspace. The official wasn't authorized to comment by name and requested anonymity.

Russia quickly dismissed the U.S. claims. "This is again some kind of nonsense," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the Interfax news agency.

"Every day there are tens of thousands of attacks on (Russian President Vladimir) Putin's website. Many of the attacks can be traced to the U.S. We're not blaming the White House or Langley every time." ''Langley" is a reference to the CIA's headquarters in Virginia.

Federal officials are investigating cyberattacks at the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Election data systems in at least two states also have been breached.

"We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized these activities," the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said in a joint statement with the Department of Homeland Security.

The statement said recent disclosures of alleged hacked emails on websites like DCLeaks.com and WikiLeaks, and by the Guccifer 2.0 online persona, are consistent with the methods and motivations of efforts directed by Russia, which has denied involvement.

"These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the U.S. election process," the statement said. "Such activity is not new to Moscow. The Russians have used similar tactics and techniques across Europe and Eurasia, for example, to influence public opinion there."

California Rep. Adam Schiff, the ranking member of the House intelligence committee, applauded the administration's decision to publicly name Russia as the source of the hacking.

"We should now work with our European allies who have been the victim of similar and even more malicious cyber interference by Russia to develop a concerted response that protects our institutions and deters further meddling," Schiff said.

Intelligence officials say some states have experienced scanning or probing of their election systems, which in most cases originated from servers operated by a Russian company. They stopped short, though, in attributing this activity to the Russian government. And administration officials say it would be difficult to alter the results of the election because of the decentralized nature of the American electoral process.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-08

This is the old kettle and pot syndrome... 

What's the difference between Russian and American hacking???

Russia spread what they find while US keep it all to them selves.

US has a whole agency devoted to spying and hacking, NSA!

Hmm, so if Russia has all these hackers on the payroll, which they no doubt do, then their priority is to hack Hillary (and make sure they get caught of course), as opposed the sites that may offer military information or a strategic advantage of some kind?

Evil Putin actually believes that Trump is going to be his buddy? He actually believes that the president really does call the shots and that it actually matters who gets elected? He believes that hacking a website will allow him to affect the election outcome? He is actually an idiot?

Admittedly I am somewhat of skeptic, but am I the only one that sees the absurdity in all this?

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

Hmm, so if Russia has all these hackers on the payroll, which they no doubt do, then their priority is to hack Hillary (and make sure they get caught of course), as opposed the sites that may offer military information or a strategic advantage of some kind?

Evil Putin actually believes that Trump is going to be his buddy? He actually believes that the president really does call the shots and that it actually matters who gets elected? He believes that hacking a website will allow him to affect the election outcome? He is actually an idiot?

Admittedly I am somewhat of skeptic, but am I the only one that sees the absurdity in all this?

They definitely have hackers on their payroll.  Just like other major countries. Disrupting the elections in the US would be a big deal. Putin is far from stupid,  but definitely an ego maniac.  As are many politicians. It'd prove how powerful he is,  which is partly what the Syrian war is all about.

On 10/8/2016 at 8:51 AM, Kasset Tak said:

This is the old kettle and pot syndrome... 

What's the difference between Russian and American hacking???

Russia spread what they find while US keep it all to them selves.

US has a whole agency devoted to spying and hacking, NSA!

Actually the US has more than one agency devoted to spying but that is neither here nor there. The difference is that the Russians got caught trying to influence the American election, not just stealing national secrets.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

Well mr. Putin you had it comming.

So when none of that happens, the unsubstantiated claims remain, Anonymous gets credit for stopping it  and the persons/nations villified are left unable to defend themselves against the accusations which may or may not be true. Nice racket.

You can donate here:

Edited by lannarebirth

Good. Anything to help crush Hillary Clinton. The world needs change. Not the same old same old that she will deliver.

No mention of the US's own FBI doing its best to influence the election as well. If they are willing to do it then there must be a good reason. And the Russians seem to agree.

On 10/8/2016 at 0:28 AM, Rancid said:

Trump has already speculated on abandoning NATO allies, most notably the Baltic states.  I'm sure that makes Putin happy.

However Putin knows he doesn't have to manipulate or buddy up to Trump, all he has to do is provoke him.  When candidate Trump is provoked he does things that damage his campaign, when President Trump is provoked he will do things that damage the US.

15 hours ago, coma said:

Good. Anything to help crush Hillary Clinton. The world needs change. Not the same old same old that she will deliver.

No mention of the US's own FBI doing its best to influence the election as well. If they are willing to do it then there must be a good reason. And the Russians seem to agree.

So you don't object to democracy being subverted by a foreign power or a supposedly impartial law enforcement agency.  That says a lot about you, none of it good.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Trump has already speculated on abandoning NATO allies, most notably the Baltic states.  I'm sure that makes Putin happy.

However Putin knows he doesn't have to manipulate or buddy up to Trump, all he has to do is provoke him.  When candidate Trump is provoked he does things that damage his campaign, when President Trump is provoked he will do things that damage the US.

The good thing about the US is the president can not just do what he wants.  Unlike in Russia where Putin is basically a dictator.

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

So you don't object to democracy being subverted by a foreign power or a supposedly impartial law enforcement agency.  That says a lot about you, none of it good.

I don't give two hoots. If the American people aren't up in arms about the FBI intervention in the election then why should care about any other body, foreign or domestic doing them same ???

11 hours ago, heybruce said:

2 hours ago, coma said:

I don't give two hoots. If the American people aren't up in arms about the FBI intervention in the election then why should care about any other body, foreign or domestic doing them same ???

Trump supporters don't care if the FBI, Russia, the KKK, neo-Nazi's or anyone else intervenes to support Trump.  However people who support democracy care, and there still are a lot of these people in the US.

14 hours ago, coma said:

American people are up in arms about this,  don't you read the news?

If you don't give two hoots, why are you always posting on topics about the US?

I'm sure Russia is one of a long list of countries hacking, or trying to hack, high profile US institutions.  I doubt Putin is trying to "support" Trump as much as he has a grudge against Clinton. I'm pretty sure he is confident he can take advantage of either.

The second paragraph is especially frightening, however, the whole piece shows how horrendous a president Trump would be to the United States and across Europe to include the promising democracies around the world.

Newsweek

WHY VLADIMIR PUTIN’S RUSSIA IS BACKING DONALD TRUMP

BY KURT EICHENWALD ON 11/4/16

In phone calls, meetings and cables, America’s European allies have expressed alarm to one another about Donald Trump’s public statements denying Moscow’s role in cyberattacks designed to interfere with the U.S. election. They fear the Republican nominee for president has emboldened the Kremlin in its unprecedented cybercampaign to disrupt elections in multiple countries in hopes of weakening Western alliances, according to intelligence, law enforcement and other government officials in the United States and Europe.

While American intelligence officers have privately briefed Trump about Russia’s attempts to influence the U.S. election, he has publicly dismissed that information as unreliable, instead saying this hacking of incredible sophistication and technical complexity could have been done by some 400-pound “guy sitting on their bed” or even a child.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-russia-hillary-clinton-united-states-europe-516895

Radical wildman crackpot dangerous ignoramus.

6 hours ago, Publicus said:

The second paragraph is especially frightening, however, the whole piece shows how horrendous a president Trump would be to the United States and across Europe to include the promising democracies around the world.

Newsweek

WHY VLADIMIR PUTIN’S RUSSIA IS BACKING DONALD TRUMP

BY KURT EICHENWALD ON 11/4/16

In phone calls, meetings and cables, America’s European allies have expressed alarm to one another about Donald Trump’s public statements denying Moscow’s role in cyberattacks designed to interfere with the U.S. election. They fear the Republican nominee for president has emboldened the Kremlin in its unprecedented cybercampaign to disrupt elections in multiple countries in hopes of weakening Western alliances, according to intelligence, law enforcement and other government officials in the United States and Europe.

While American intelligence officers have privately briefed Trump about Russia’s attempts to influence the U.S. election, he has publicly dismissed that information as unreliable, instead saying this hacking of incredible sophistication and technical complexity could have been done by some 400-pound “guy sitting on their bed” or even a child.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-russia-hillary-clinton-united-states-europe-516895

Radical wildman crackpot dangerous ignoramus.

The full article confirms the obvious; Trump ignores evidence and believes what he wants to believe, and refuses to believe anything that is inconvenient to him.  So do his supporters.

I'm convinced that a HRC presidency would be four years of partisan gridlock.  However a Trump presidency would be four years of betraying allies, breaking treaties, either foolish military interventions or dangerous isolationism (or maybe a mixture of both), devastating economic policies, nuclear weapons proliferation through ignorant inaction, etc.  It will also be four years of blatant corruption as Trump uses his position to benefit Trump Inc. as much as possible.

It makes partisan gridlock seem really good.

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

American people are up in arms about this,  don't you read the news?

If you don't give two hoots, why are you always posting on topics about the US?

Cuz the US is always "posting" its nose in mine and every other soul on this planets lives. Destroying global peace with their rubbish brand of democracy. Whoever wins this election cannot possibly say they have been democratically elected as this whole process, of corrupt campaigning last I checked, is anything but democratic in nature.

p.s. No need to reply. There are no question marks in MY post.

If we agree that Russians are behind the hacking and the leaking of emails and trying to influence the election..

The point still remains.. Are they releasing lies and fake information?

As have not seen any reports from Hillary campaign that any of the emails leaked are false..

The only reports I have seen is that they are advising that they 'could be false' but they will not comment on any specific emails

Which to me sounds like legalese for 'they are all true, but you can't use them in a court of law due to chain of custody issues'

I think this perception this is what is most damaging

If they are false, them most Americans would expect Hillary to Come out and say they are false

That they are not saying so makes many believe that they are afraid that other evidence may come along to prove they may have lied...

Or she thinks that she can just ignore and still win the election and then shut down any further investigation ?

So better to not comment at all?

I genuinely think if she had just admitted, and apologized , I think this would not be as damaging to her campaign

As have not seen much in the released emails that is so terrible that voters would not forgive, but the perception of lies and cover up are far more damaging

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, coma said:

Cuz the US is always "posting" its nose in mine and every other soul on this planets lives. Destroying global peace with their rubbish brand of democracy. Whoever wins this election cannot possibly say they have been democratically elected as this whole process, of corrupt campaigning last I checked, is anything but democratic in nature.

I seriously doubt the US is always "posting" its nose in yours and every other soul on the planet! LOL  Too funny. 

Avoid these threads.  Some of us would appreciate it.

6 hours ago, coma said:

No need to reply, you've told us all we need to know about you.

5 hours ago, CWMcMurray said:

If we agree that Russians are behind the hacking and the leaking of emails and trying to influence the election..

The point still remains.. Are they releasing lies and fake information?

As have not seen any reports from Hillary campaign that any of the emails leaked are false..

The only reports I have seen is that they are advising that they 'could be false' but they will not comment on any specific emails

Which to me sounds like legalese for 'they are all true, but you can't use them in a court of law due to chain of custody issues'

I think this perception this is what is most damaging

If they are false, them most Americans would expect Hillary to Come out and say they are false

That they are not saying so makes many believe that they are afraid that other evidence may come along to prove they may have lied...

Or she thinks that she can just ignore and still win the election and then shut down any further investigation ?

So better to not comment at all?

I genuinely think if she had just admitted, and apologized , I think this would not be as damaging to her campaign

As have not seen much in the released emails that is so terrible that voters would not forgive, but the perception of lies and cover up are far more damaging

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I haven't seen anything in any of the information released that is of any interest.

Regarding whether the e-mails are real or fake, I doubt that HRC's people have had time to go through every one of the thousands of e-mails to verify they had not been doctored.  What are they supposed to do; give the hack semi-legitimacy by stating "The few we've looked at look like they're probably legit."? 

I think it's much smarter to wait for someone to provide a "smoking gun" e-mail then check the legitimacy of that.  In absence of such a smoking gun being identified, I will assume there is nothing of interest there.

Now if the Russian's release Trump's tax returns, that would be interesting.

Edited by heybruce

On 11/3/2016 at 9:01 PM, heybruce said:

Trump has stated that NATO allies should pay their fair share. If these other members don't think NATO is worth paying into, why should the US?

3 hours ago, Usernames said:

Trump has stated that NATO allies should pay their fair share. If these other members don't think NATO is worth paying into, why should the US?

Trump mentioned Estonia by name as one of the allies that may not be worth defending against Russia. Estonia meets its NATO budget obligations.http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/15/news/nato-spending-countries/    It has suffered over 100 casualties fighting our war in Iraq.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_casualties_in_Afghanistan#Estonian   Since the nation has a population of just 1.3 million, it is suffering significantly higher per capita casualty rates than the US. 

Abandoning allies like that will identify the US as an ally not worth having.

Just now, heybruce said:

Trump mentioned Estonia by name as one of the allies that may not be worth defending against Russia. Estonia meets its NATO budget obligations.http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/15/news/nato-spending-countries/    It has suffered over 100 casualties fighting our war in Iraq.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_casualties_in_Afghanistan#Estonian   Since the nation has a population of just 1.3 million, it is suffering significantly higher per capita casualty rates than the US. 

I am unwilling to have a nuclear war with Russia over Estonia.  I'll bet 99 percent of the rest of America feels the same way. About the only people who would be for it are John McCain and his mini-me, Lindsay Graham.

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Luckily, it's not up to Trump.  Doubtful he'll become the next president anyway.  Estonia is a key ally.  You need to stand up to a bully, if not, they will continue to be a bully.

Luckily, NATO is up to the job:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/14/british-troops-to-defend-baltics-against-russia-in-new-nato-miss/