ENTV QUESTION...

We went to Hull to get a 90 day 12 months multiple entry visa on May 19th. However on the prior Friday they were informed by London that they can no longer issue them all had to be cleared by London. We did not have time for that so we took the 6 months EMTV. We arrived here in Chiang mai on September 28th. Our Visas state that we must enter Thailand before March 20th 2017. Working our my runs if I depart before March 20th but return 5 days later March 25th will I get 1 month or a further 60 days.

Hopefully someone has an answer to this, Thanks

I assume you have a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa.

All entries made BEFORE (or on) the "Enter Before" date will get the 60 day permission to stay, any made after that date will net whatever visa-exemption your passport allows, the visa itself will have expired and no longer be usable.

I appreciate all of your comments on this however I am a little concerned about another 60 days if re-entering before March 20th. My reason for this is that the EMTV is a 6 month multi entry visa. I arrived Sept 28th my first & second run will be to Maesai after 60 days each entry. If I exit say March 18th this is 48 days stay & return March 19th. Another 60 days it would amount to a total of 228 days in all of a 6 months visa. Does that sound right to anyone? 186 days normally is 6 months or could this be a loop hole?

Edited by les1
misspell

5 minutes ago, les1 said:

I appreciate all of your comments on this however I am a little concerned about another 60 days if re-entering before March 20th. My reason for this is that the EMTV is a 6 month multi entry visa. I arrived Sept 28th my first & second run will be to Maesai after 60 days each entry. If I exit say March 18th this is 48 days stay & return March 19th. Another 60 days it would amount to a total of 228 days in all of a 6 months visa. Does that sound right to anyone? 186 days normally is 6 months or could this be a loop hole?

It sounds normal to me. A visa provides the right to enter the country from the time it is issued until the enter before date on the visa. The duration of the permission to stay your are granted is independent of whether you enter on the first or last day the visa is valid.

As is often the case, there is confusion in your mind between what a visa is and what a permission to stay is. The visa gives right of entry. The permission to stay determines when you need to leave, and any dates on the visa sticker are irrelevant when determining when that will be.

10 minutes ago, les1 said:

A visa while valid allows entry to the country. Permission to stay derives from entering by using a valid visa. The visa may expire during a period of stay without detriment. 

On each entry of your METV you are given permission to stay for 60 days.

So as long as your last entry is before the 'enter before date' on your Visa, you will be given permission to stay for another 60 days.

If you enter on 19/3 you will allowed to stay until 17/5.

Edited by Faz

26 minutes ago, les1 said:

The best way to understand it is to look on your visa to see how the visas expiration date is shown on it. It is shown as the enter before date and that is what it is. It is the last day you can use your visa for an entry not the amount of time you can be in the country.