Archbishop Desmond Tutu turns 85 saying he wants 'assisted death'

rooster59

Archbishop Desmond Tutu turns 85 saying he wants 'assisted death'

606x341_346090.jpg

Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa has celebrated his 85th birthday on the day he revealed that he wanted the option of an assisted death.

The veteran anti-apartheid campaigner and former Nobel Peace Prize winner had already ended his opposition to assisted dying two years ago.

On Friday he told the Washington Post he wanted to exercise the right himself, “when my time comes”.

“I have been fortunate to have long spent my time working for dignity for the living. Now, with my life closer to its end than its beginning, I wish to help give people dignity in dying,” he wrote.

Archbishop Tutu performed mass in Cape Town on Friday, and was surprised as the choir sang “Happy Birthday”. He often used the pulpit to criticise white-minority rule which ended in 1994.

The Anglican church of which he’s a member is firmly against assisted dying.

Tutu has been living with prostate cancer for nearly 20 years and was recently hospitalised with an infection.

The former archbishop of Cape Town chaired the commission that investigated atrocities under apartheid and has long campaigned for human rights such as fighting against HIV/Aids, racism, sexism and homophobia.

Earlier this year he blessed his daughter’s marriage with her female partner, even though South African Anglican law does not endorse same-sex marriage.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-08

He is a good man who commands a lot of respect. He was a thorn in the side of the apartheid government but kept to his promise to bow out of politics when South Africa eventually unbanned the ANC and had democratic elections.The ANC won in 1994. He has since spoken out against the ANC when necessary, to their dismay and horror. 

Not just a good man but a brave and principled man too. I remember the News on TV, maybe 50 yrs ago, showing a large mob about to necklace (this involves putting a car tyre round someone's neck dousing it in petrol and setting it alight ) two men accused of being informers. Desmond Tutu came forward and argued & pleaded with them not to do this. He succeded in stopping their Kangaroo court execution but I thought at the time for one man alone to face down a mob baying for blood was exceptionally brave. 

Yes indeed a brave man. In the end I to would want to be in charge of my life not stuck in a hospital bed with tubes running out of my body and the administrator asking me for my ATM card every 5 minutes. I want my destiny in my hands and not in the hands of others. Sadly medicine has changed the compassion is gone and today your just another paying customer. 

Edited by elgordo38

Funny how his attitude has changed now that it would be his turn to suffer without mercy at the hands of those who fight against assisted death.  Same bunch that fought so diligently to stop those in terrible pain from using any Narcotic pain killers. Yep, the same bunch. I wonder if they think of the millions they caused to suffer.  Na I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

Funny how his attitude has changed now that it would be his turn to suffer without mercy at the hands of those who fight against assisted death.  Same bunch that fought so diligently to stop those in terrible pain from using any Narcotic pain killers. Yep, the same bunch. I wonder if they think of the millions they caused to suffer.  Na I doubt it.

At least he changed his mind - whatever his reasons. It will help others in the future.

My mother died a slow and horrific death from cancer of the breasts. Religious zealots who oppose the sanctity of assisted deaths are totally without mercy. Keep your twisted religious opinions to yourself, allow sane people to choose to not suffer. Christ said ":suffer the children", an excuse priests have used to abuse children. So just stop being ignorant, let people in non curable pain to die with dignity. And may I say politely, just go away and sulk.

8 hours ago, NeilSA1 said:

He is a good man who commands a lot of respect. He was a thorn in the side of the apartheid government but kept to his promise to bow out of politics when South Africa eventually unbanned the ANC and had democratic elections.The ANC won in 1994. He has since spoken out against the ANC when necessary, to their dismay and horror. 

You are spot-on. I had the pleasure of doing a TV Interview with him many years ago, during the apartheid era and he was indeed, the Voice of Sanity.

Having met a couple of Popes, various Prime Ministers, Presidents, some Royalty, droves of Sports Stars, Rock Stars, Actors and a gaggle of other assorted "Celebs", the TWO who impressed me the most were Archbishop Tutu and His Holiness, the Dalai Lama.

Reckon, I've been Blessed!

25 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

You are spot-on. I had the pleasure of doing a TV Interview with him many years ago, during the apartheid era and he was indeed, the Voice of Sanity.

Having met a couple of Popes, various Prime Ministers, Presidents, some Royalty, droves of Sports Stars, Rock Stars, Actors and a gaggle of other assorted "Celebs", the TWO who impressed me the most were Archbishop Tutu and His Holiness, the Dalai Lama.

Reckon, I've been Blessed!

Arch Bishop Tutu and the Dalai Lama are good friends. The Dalai Lama was not allowed to visit Tutu in South Africa by the ANC government, apparently at the behest of China.