Im sick of the music noise in Thailand

advancebooking

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was eating in a pub in Bangkok and a group of about 12 to 15 people came in to also eat. The music was too loud and they asked politely if it could be turned down a little, the staff refused and the group left to eat elsewhere. Of course the staff didn't care the business lost 20,000 baht or more, because they don't own the business.

It's quite rare than any Thai staff, esp. a DJ, will heed any request to turn down the music. I did succeed at a restaurant when I brought in a group and told them we'd eat there only if they turned down the music. I think that's the only time and I was lucky.

13 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Ok but for 7 years, you had no issues did you?

If it bothered you that much, you'd have moved.

My point was that you wrote the assumption that folk who live in a crap area must put up with it, well l don't live in a crap area but after buying land and building on it we have noise pollution which was no way anticipated and can do sod all about it....... Thankfully the noise doesn't last to long, and for sure I ain't moving from my hide away...

18 hours ago, elephant45 said:

lostinissan, you really are lost, is their any thing/post you don't respond to with total negativity and hatred? Maybe you need to get a ticket out. The person is making a comment that is valid. And after the party is over and we live here permanently things like this can become unbearable and so I already have deiced to leave.

Don't presume you speak for everybody,i love the music everywhere.Remember to turn the lights out and shut the door.

15 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Its true what you say about mr lost in san. Ive started to not read his comments over the years. He has to be one of the most hated members on this forum

He has to be one of the most hated members on this forum:cheesy:

IF attendance of a public forum generates so much as hatred for other members maybe a psychiatrist could help :facepalm:

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

So in your opinion, an upmarket neighbourhood is just as likely to have as many residents blasting morlam as a downmarket one?

I live in a decent condo building off lower Sukhumvit, no loud music or disturbance

I shop at Gourmet Foodhalls and Villa Market, no loud music or disturbance

I eat at plenty of cafes in my locale, some play loud music but if I'm not in the mood, I go to ones that don't.

It's not rocket science.

whoopee dooooooo

16 hours ago, Shot said:

About 6 months ago in NST while shopping for a washer for my MIL, we pulled up to Power Buy. We were the only customers at the time, so I pulled up in front. They had very large speakers outside blaring music and other nonsense at a full 10. I walked up to the machine, found the power plug and pulled it. Best feeling ever. We were unmolested by crap music during our visit. We did buy a washing machine.

I do the same thing, but always enlist and enroll the person working there to do it for me, explaining that I cannot hear. Done with a smile and a friendly attitude, I have never met a Thai who would not do what I requested. This is hundreds of times over 20 years and includes taxis. Well, there was one taxi or 2 actually who would not. One of those taxis could not hear me ! 

I usually encourage them to turn it back up after I leave. They are cool about it. 

It helps to make yourself likeable, kind, and pleasant to deal with. It is a sort of super power, when in the hands of a handsome farang, nicely dressed and speaking Thai politely. super power, I say!

I have a condo in Jomtien. The worst noise we have are kids screaming in the swimming pool. Sometimes I have to shut my patio door to block out the noise. I don't consider that a huge sacrifice. The condo complex is pretty old so there are a lot of units being upgraded. I must admit that the hammer drills irritate me. At 5:00 PM every day the work must stop. Also no noisy work can be done on Sundays. No dogs barking and no roosters crowing. No dogs or chickens are permitted on the property. You think roosters are not a problem? The roosters around our house upcountry have no idea what time it is. They are likely to be crowing at three o'clock in the morning. Dogs are likely to be howling, barking and fighting around the clock. A couple times a week the puyai ban makes announcements starting at 6:00 AM in the morning. I haven't even mentioned weddings and funerals with their huge cracked speakers and the thumping distorted bass. Even with all that noise, I still prefer living upcountry in the small village. This is Thailand and we have to put up with some things we don't like for the privilege of living here. I can always move back to the condo if I want peace and quiet. I'll just stay in the village and put up with the noise.

19 hours ago, elephant45 said:

lostinissan, you really are lost, is their any thing/post you don't respond to with total negativity and hatred? Maybe you need to get a ticket out. The person is making a comment that is valid. And after the party is over and we live here permanently things like this can become unbearable and so I already have deiced to leave.

" is their any thing/post you don't respond to with total negativity and hatred? "

A large percentage of the threads, like this one, start out with someone expressing negativity and hatred toward Thais and Thailand.  

As several have said, if life here bothers you that much, does that mean all Thais have to change or maybe you should move on. Amazingly arrogant of some posters to think they qualify to "educate" others.

Edited by Suradit69

21 hours ago, eldragon said:

"Educated the masses"? Are you Thai? I doubt it if you're using TVF, but even if you were you'd have a difficult time educating anyone here. No chance as a foreigner.

Duck here comes the love it or leave it crowd. They will swarm you like bee's. Your opening statement was just like honey on bread to them. They will slice and dice you you have definitely made their day. 

Agree that the hearing damaging levels are awful, but almost as bad is most of the "music" content. Techno or trance or whatever.... drill my teeth without Novocaine please! I've had washing machines with more rhythmic complexity. Nursery rhymes up there with Cole Porter by comparison. Few years ago they kept playing "Hey Sexy Lady" at beach football tournament over and over. I went over to sound man and said "If you don't change that, I will come back and smash your equipment", then back to my seat. Amazingly, they did change their tune.

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Been to many so called 3rd world country never had a problem with loud music. 

The rest of your post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Another agenda maybe???

Interesting.

Maybe you have never spent any time in the Caribbean ? 

Another agenda ? 

For the love of god, what are you going on about now? 

What possible agenda could I have for pointing out noise pollution is common in 3rd World countries? Well...OK, you have exposed me and my sinister plot to secretly encourage Westerners to move back to the First World.  

Lol.

Why do they even install rheostats or volume knobs on stereos in the 3rd World devices? Save a few dollars and just install a Power On/Off switch because when its On then its maxed out.

Cheers 

21 hours ago, eldragon said:

"Educated the masses"? Are you Thai? I doubt it if you're using TVF, but even if you were you'd have a difficult time educating anyone here. No chance as a foreigner.

Duck here comes the love it or leave it crowd. They will swarm you like bee's. Your opening statement was just like honey on bread for them. They were just sitting in the bushes waiting for a topic like yours to come along. You have made their day. The first one up got 16 like so you know the score. Please do not have any opinions in a foreign country. 

Edited by elgordo38

9 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Agree that the hearing damaging levels are awful, but almost as bad is most of the "music" content. Techno or trance or whatever.... drill my teeth without Novocaine please! I've had washing machines with more rhythmic complexity. Nursery rhymes up there with Cole Porter by comparison. Few years ago they kept playing "Hey Sexy Lady" at beach football tournament over and over. I went over to sound man and said "If you don't change that, I will come back and smash your equipment", then back to my seat. Amazingly, they did change their tune.

Nice description but do you think they might have also changed it if you had simply asked civilly ?

It seems there is a culture that insists that everyone has to be entertained whether they like it or not!

You are right. The noise is bad enough and so excruciating at times, I have had to move away until the noise goes away. What rankles with me is that most Thais couldn't care less about what is actually disturbing the peace - wouldn't last five minutes in many countries as the Police would be called and the "disturbers" would be stopped and warned against further troublemaking!

Many Thai people don't like it either but tolerate it because they don't have the balls to complain!

Edited by ChrisKC
added comment

I went shopping in a Plaza over the weekend, not something I do often, and on the first floor (not the ground floor) there was a locality tribute going on with stage, dancers, singers etc. Yes it was loud and I could still hear loud up on the 4th floor. I went into a 'Money Expo' to seek some advice on a couple of matters from the banking section. But they were all blasting away and when I did find what I was looking for I couldn't hear myself talk or hear what the service ladies were saying. Suddenly they plonked a form in front of me pointing to where I should sign and I frowned. Then I saw the amount necessary for me to pay, 182,000 Baht yearly premium for health insurance (over 70's). I actually asked a totally different question but now I had two reasons for to move out:smile:, the noise and that premium. I made a very quick exit, Ha!

Hi,

Do you ever been in other Asian countries like for example China?

I do like what you try to arrange. You do forget the culture is different than where you come from. And the culture here is already very influenced by the American way of doing things and that adapted to the local area. 

The American way of living in the local Asian expression

If you are unable to influence the influencer(America and the media then there is not much left other than to get used to it

Or wear earplugs

Or get noise canceling earphones.

Or move just on.

God luck

19 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Interesting.

Maybe you have never spent any time in the Caribbean ? 

Another agenda ? 

For the love of god, what are you going on about now? 

What possible agenda could I have for pointing out noise pollution is common in 3rd World countries? Well...OK, you have exposed me and my sinister plot to secretly encourage Westerners to move back to the First World.  

Lol.

Why do they even install rheostats or volume knobs on stereos in the 3rd World devices? Save a few dollars and just install a Power On/Off switch because when its On then its maxed out.

Cheers 

Yes have spent time in Caribbean. 

This thread was about noise music which you described then went on about everything else you dislike about Thailand hence diffrent agenda. Can't you read your own posts. 

21 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Why don't you just go back where you came from? Enjoy your flight. 

"Go back to where you came from" has to be the most annoying comment on TV. I reckon you have to post it a few times to qualify to become a Thai-bashing policeman.

5 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Blasting distorted music at eardrum piercing levels is one of the sure signs you are in a 3rd world country.

Along with the smell of burning plastic. 

Along with a large stray dog population. 

Along with garbage littering every bit of open space.

Just in case you forgot the rest of your post

16 hours ago, Gary A said:

I have gotten used to the loud music over the years. I got broken in in a very unpleasant way. I lived in a housing development that had many muslims. We had a small lake between where I lived and where they had their loud speakers. Their crap blasted across that pond. My townhouse was furnished by the company I worked for. I demanded the company furnish a different location.for me to live. They refused and I quit. True story.

Yes i can imagine living near one of their howling towers would no fun at all, calling the mob to pray every three hours, if i understand it correctly!

I'm seriously afraid that Thais just love loud – and slightly distorted – music everywhere; I even noticed they often only know two choices on the amplifier: "On" or "Off".

It's their country, and if they like that kind of noise pollution, we guests either accept or buck-off – when the day comes that Thais think the "noise" has gone to far, it will automatically be turned down – only in special farang/tourist places, it's in Thai-way-of-thinking fair that we aliens complain about the sound level...:post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by khunPer