cheaper to live in USA or Thailand?

4 hours ago, Gary A said:

Lazada didn't have any underwear for me. I tried a couple pair of WAY overpriced underwear and gave them to my wife's nephew. My tools kept falling out the sides.

and neither does aliexpress for me. i neither enjoy roaring laughter from my wife when i wear some ridiculous design meant for those who dance in Pattaya's Boys Town gogo bars nor the few traditional designs made of artificial fiber. for me it's cotton, nothing but cotton and only cotton and the elastic waistband covered by cotton.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Gary A said:

My son lives in the US and he is past middle aged. I did help my daughter once in awhile but she passed away earlier this year from from years of battling leukemia. My son needs no financial help. My big ticket things are vehicles, the condo and house are paid for and I pay no taxes. The vehicles are made in Thailand and except for the Ford car have been amazingly trouble free. Other than a battery, both motorbikes are trouble free. If I have to dress up to go somewhere, I don't go. Shorts, sandals and T shirts suit me just fine. I'm not sure where my Dell computer was made but I'm sure it wasn't made in the US. I don't know where my wife buys my clothes but I wear whatever she buys me. I do have a diesel four wheel drive Yanmar tractor. It may have been made in Japan. It's a great toy for me that I don't need but I wanted it. Same with my workshop. I seldom use everything but it's there when I want it.

I'm quite content here and if I want something, I can usually find it. The past few years it has gotten easier to buy things. A Tesco Lotus Super store, Makro, Big C and Home Pro are now easily within driving distance.

Sorry to hear about your daughters passing away, a Parent should never have to bury their child.

As a father of a daughter myself. I am sure it was not easy on you. 

My sincere condolences.

I never said that life is not easier in Thailand. certainly a different lifestyle. and an easier one.

Life there is certainly less expensive, tough as I said, for most, not cheaper.if comparing apples to apples. 

It is less expensive because we can do with less, but if we required the same as in the US not affordable,

Personally I think in the US we have being conditioned to want more than we need. 

I am in the US now working, and I count the days when I retire in two years, that I can also enjoy the easier Thai lifestyle.But I will still maintain my Florida residence, as I might have to come back, do to medical, and family reasons.

My opinion concerning the cost of living comparison Is only based on comparing apples with apples. I agree  We certainly can do without  apples in Thailand.

13 hours ago, Naam said:

and neither does aliexpress for me. i neither enjoy roaring laughter from my wife when i wear some ridiculous design meant for those who dance in Pattaya's Boys Town gogo bars nor the few traditional designs made of artificial fiber. for me it's cotton, nothing but cotton and only cotton and the elastic waistband covered by cotton.

I really like this style and the material is smooth and soft. The quality is very good;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-seller-1PC-Men-Underwear-Boxer-Briefs-Shorts-Bulge-Pouch-Soft-Underpants-Jan23/32602659453.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.2BRhun

28 minutes ago, Gary A said:

to each his own. i hate nonsensical writings on the elastic. i hate nonsensical dual colours. i don't need a superfluous slot to go for my pecker when i want to pee and i definitely don't need "legs" on my briefs.

this is what i want and what i ordered. of course it's slightly more than 3 Dollars a piece. next purchase of underwear only after my reincarnation.

Slip_Eminence_taille_haute_en_coton_hypo

13 minutes ago, Naam said:

to each his own. i hate nonsensical writings on the elastic. i hate nonsensical dual colours. i don't need a superfluous slot to go for my pecker when i want to pee and i definitely don't need "legs" on my briefs.

this is what i want and what i ordered. of course it's slightly more than 3 Dollars a piece. next purchase of underwear only after my reincarnation.

Slip_Eminence_taille_haute_en_coton_hypo

As far as the silly writing and legs, I don't normally walk around in my underwear, so no one sees that. The worst thing about some underwear is my gear hanging out the sides. I have found the short legs to be very functional and comfortable. To each his own. LOL!

49 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The worst thing about some underwear is my gear hanging out the sides.

i fully agree and that's the reason why i need new "knickers" as i have finally managed this year to lose >20kg, now back to my fighting weight of 77kg. 

1 minute ago, Naam said:

i fully agree and that's the reason why i need new "knickers" as i have finally managed this year to lose >20kg, now back to my fighting weight of 77kg. 

Congratulations on the weight loss. I haven't lost any weight but my old Fruit of the Loom skivvies have lost the elastic around the legs. That's why I was desperate to find new ones.

again a generalisation with examples that might or might not apply to individuals. the cost of basic food stuff is relevant when it represents 35% of the disposable income. it is irrelevant for those where food expenses amount to 5% of income. and completely irrelevant for those who hate milk, chicken and drive a gasoline powered vehicle.

The idea was for everybody to give few concrete examples, so we can built up a database a bit better than typical cost of living index. Suggest if you hate chicken, let us know the price difference of some beef ( same grade though).
To me, bottom line, similar standard of living with family costs about the same here and there. Life here however is more pleasant.
Hungary, Romania,  Moldova,  Turkey,  Bulgaria and Serbia. Budapest is absolutely amazing. We're in Bulgaria now watching the sun set over a beautiful Medieval town.  40 Baht taxi ride for 4km, 40 Baht 500ml mugs of great beer. $30 hotel rooms. $30 a day mid size car rentals with all inclusive insurance. Great roads. Super nice people. Tough to beat!

You left our short time prices. What good is cheap beer if you can't get take away
13 hours ago, james1995 said:

Can you find a studio apartment for $100 a month in America?  I'm still looking.

I've yet to see one here I'd call suitable for living at that price.  But yes, $100 wouldn't get you anything in the US.  As said before, rent is one of the things here that's very cheap.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

may i assume that "camandos" don't wear underwear?

Well the term came because when you are out in jungles and such underwear was more of a problem then not so many dumped them and ......well..... life is just easier and far more comfortable and your "boys" have some room.  My wife was a bit surprised when we first met and she would fold my laundry she asked me where are all my underwear  LOL.

4 hours ago, NeverSure said:

Since you aren't an NES, may I point out that the word is actually "commando" which is a soldier with a special task such as carrying out raids.

Cheers.

and how do you know that "camando" is actually "commando pray tell? and who or what is an "NES"? the inventor of Nescafé?

On 11/14/2016 at 5:11 AM, Dtrump said:

Known driver and family for 4 years.  I don't like to drive anymore.  In the States I'd need a chauffeur paid more than I make.  Here I have a car and driver for peanuts.  I rented an elephant once to go bar hopping.  It was an attention getter and not too expensive.  

Elephant rental in the US could be prohibitively expensive , not to mention the peanut bill. 

Personally I would look into camel rental when in the US, the ones with the two humps , one hump for me and one for my camel driver as I don't have a camel driving licence endorsement.:tongue: