what is the best satellite for farang? and some other questions.

pattayalover

The dish means nothing without a satellite with the data you want to watch and you are not going to be able to access those serving Europe.  So you have mostly local channels unless you pay for a rebroadcasting service such as True Visions in Thailand or one of the non-Thai services from Vietnam or Malaysia which may be available from re-sellers in some areas of the country.  Free satellite would be Thaicom 5/6 at 78 degrees but almost everything is in Thai or other local languages.

You might prefer internet or downloading from internet for viewing later.   

On 9.10.2016 at 5:50 PM, pattayalover said:

Can i use a dish imported from Europe? 

Don't do it. Not useful at all.

Dishes/sat installations are available everywhere for little money.

The flat ones: never seen in Thailand. I think the signals are not strong enough. The Ku-band dishes are about 90 cm compared to 60 cm or less in Europe.

In Thailand you do not only have Ku-band satellites like in Europe but also C-band.

C-band dishes are much bigger usually (1.20m up).

If you want to have relevant content you will indeed have to resort to pay services.

Mainly "True Vision".

The free to air channels are 9x% Thai language and absolutely boring/culture shock.

what is the best satellite to point at ? 

Most content comes from Thaicom position at 78.5 east.

But I am a little out-of-date. Other options nowadays.

Direct reception of other satellites is a hobby on it's own.

Are you up to?

Since I have fast internet my dishes are rusting.

A bunch of receivers stowed away.

Don't shy away to invest a 5 digit sum in internet setup instead of wasting money for sat (I paid for a dedicated 600 m of fiber optic cable).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Get a internet connection. I use 3bb and have no problems with it. Sign up for Netflix (cheap)...charged monthly on my credit card. Little less than $15cnd. In English and a lot of great shows to watch. Better than the Thai crap on TV. Also get chrome cast so you can stream Netflix , YouTube etc to your TV from your pc, tablet or phone. Cost about 1500 bt. I got two one for each tv. The only other thing I do is I sign up yearly to watch NHL.  No regional blackouts here.

If Op can get Internet then also consider getting an Amazon firestick with KODI on it, then you have access to most of  the latest progs from around the world (Amazon Prime and Netflix progs) , plus live sports from around the world all for free. You will need a TV or computer with HDMI port to connect the firestick to. Costs in UK £50-£60 pounds and thats it,  never have to pay anything again. The KODI app updates automatically via the internet.

As many posters are saying, internet is better now. If I relocate to Chiang Mai for a couple of years, I'll try to get the best download speed I can. With the right VPN (is Buffered still unblocked?) I can get U.S. Netflix, Amazon Prime video, and a mobile version of U.S. satellite (DirecTV). And of course I can download movies/TV shows separately.

Maybe OP is afraid of Internet ? Satellite dishes belongs to the past. 3BB internet package will cost you 600 baht monthly, good enough for streaming or downloads.  

how do you watch several Chanels from the Internet if each time you are blocked by IP detect . I need a VPN,ok, but what happen if I change country every time. do i need to make a research on my tablet or PC each time I want change program?

I understand I need to plug a PC behind a TV.
can I use instead a Chrome cast or a mirror cast stick plugged in the hdmi port of the TV and send what I want watch from a tablet or phone.?

You said you don't have internet. Is it because internet is not available, or you have not purchased internet?

3BB is available where I live and when they first installed it, I had purchased 15 Mbps speed. They never could get me a speed more than 9 Mbps, so I went to the "up to 10Mpbs " package. My normal speed is about 6 to high 7 Mbps. I almost never get 9 or 10, but do sometimes. It is fine for downloading movies & TV series, but streaming live TV is usually only possible in the daytime, before the internet cafe's fill up with school kids playing games. After  4 or 5 PM, it is impossible for me to even watch a youtube video.

If you live in a city, internet with decent speed should not be a problem. But, if like me, you have cows grazing outside your fence, you are lucky to have any internet, and True Vision is acceptable. Acceptable, but not great. But much better than nothing.

Phone pics 5-24 165.jpg

Edited by Tagaa

You can't use a Sky setup from EU, doesn't work.

Get internet and a Kodi box,forget Netflix etc as you can stream thousands of movies, programs, sports etc for 'Free'.

Buy the box and you pay nothing else except your monthly internet.

On 12/10/2016 at 9:41 PM, balo said:

Maybe OP is afraid of Internet ? Satellite dishes belongs to the past. 3BB internet package will cost you 600 baht monthly, good enough for streaming or downloads.  

My 3BB internet (supposedly 10mbs) is useless for streaming. It's impossible to watch a programme (even SD) with constant buffering and cut outs.

17 minutes ago, Henryford said:

My 3BB internet (supposedly 10mbs) is useless for streaming. It's impossible to watch a programme (even SD) with constant buffering and cut outs.

The odd times I get buffering and cut outs I found that unplugging the router and phone line for 2 mins and then plugging back in stops buffering and cut outs.....

Out of interest.. found that rarely get this problem using Kodi on my PC, just on the Android box connected to the TV....  just wondered if would make a difference buying a 64 bit Android box + double the memory would make any difference ?  

eg:  the 64Bit Octa Core CPU.  2 GB Ram 16 GB flash, and running the new OS Marshmallow 6.0... would this be better ? noticed just under 3,000 baht at Advise IT shop earlier this week.  [ my old box is 32 bit, 1 GB Ram and running Android 4.4 Kitkat]

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Get the line checked out perhaps? We've got 3BB 10mbps and can watch up to three different live streams at once. 720p usually streams without any issues. Depends on the source reliability as well tho.

Get a via Internet working Kodi system ( €uro 50-75), install some add-ons and you have more choice as you could dream of.

To give you an idea: via FilmOn TV: life BBV 1-2-4-news, ITV 1-2-3-4, Channel 4+5, D4, More, Film 4, + a 100 others , French, German, Russian etc etc etc  And... all free-of-charge

On 10/19/2016 at 9:51 AM, ignis said:

The odd times I get buffering and cut outs I found that unplugging the router and phone line for 2 mins and then plugging back in stops buffering and cut outs.....

Out of interest.. found that rarely get this problem using Kodi on my PC, just on the Android box connected to the TV....  just wondered if would make a difference buying a 64 bit Android box + double the memory would make any difference ?  

eg:  the 64Bit Octa Core CPU.  2 GB Ram 16 GB flash, and running the new OS Marshmallow 6.0... would this be better ? noticed just under 3,000 baht at Advise IT shop earlier this week.  [ my old box is 32 bit, 1 GB Ram and running Android 4.4 Kitkat]

Can answer myself, maybe other could be interested 

2.900 baht paid now have the Android Marshmallow 6.0,  64 bit + 2 GB Ram, wow Kodi works a lot better and faster, installed the Kodi Jarvis 16.1.......... one of the reasons for the upgrade the all new Kodi Krypton 17 [in Beta 3 at moment] will not run on Android Kitkat boxes

3 hours ago, ignis said:

Can answer myself, maybe other could be interested 

2.900 baht paid now have the Android Marshmallow 6.0,  64 bit + 2 GB Ram, wow Kodi works a lot better and faster, installed the Kodi Jarvis 16.1.......... one of the reasons for the upgrade the all new Kodi Krypton 17 [in Beta 3 at moment] will not run on Android Kitkat boxes

Could you give a link to this, please?

19 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

Could you give a link to this, please?

Kodi v17 [Krypton] now requires that Android devices run Android 5.0 or later.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)_FAQ

Edit:

Thought Android 5 was pointless = why I bought Android 6 Box.  hopefully will be OK for a few more Kodi builds

Notice as of this morning    Kodi v17 Krypton” Beta 4  22 Oct Kodi 17    [on Kodi website]

Will update to Kodi 17 when out of Beta on PC [Windows 10]  wonder if it will work on my old 2003 XP Laptop? [used as a TV box in bedroom running Kodi 14]

Edited by ignis