How Do YOU Save Money While Living in Thailand?

Andrew C

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you use the brain in your head more often than the one in your trousers... That takes care of so many things. Have some fun for sure, but as with almost everything, do it in moderation and your life will be a treat and the best things keep their sparkle for a lot longer

17 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Also you can say reading TV. I get so many inspired tips on saving money and not opening my wallet I come away richer for reading this forum everyday. For realz. 

if you would swap your turboprop Embraer with a Gulfstream or Learjet you could save a lot more by using cheaper jet fuel. the same applies to your gasoline powered Fortuner. get a Benz or BMW Diesel and maximise your savings!

50 minutes ago, Naam said:

if you would swap your turboprop Embraer with a Gulfstream or Learjet you could save a lot more by using cheaper jet fuel. the same applies to your gasoline powered Fortuner. get a Benz or BMW Diesel and maximise your savings!

I have always learned that turboprop and Jet both use A1 – however fuel economy between turboprops and jets may depend on distance and altitude...:smile:

Edited by khunPer

On 10/9/2016 at 7:48 PM, Andrew C said:

For example, I avoid fancy restaurants because I realized I could get food that is just as good for half the price at small street shops.

So you're one of the digital nomads I keep seeing in CM  every day?  The food court downstairs at Maya is where they meet, will queue up for the 40 baht dishes. They earned $4 maybe so they deserve to eat cheap .   The rest of us who can afford it eat upstairs . 

4 hours ago, michaellee said:

BS....you may not be handing out every month but you are paying in some ways nothing is free end of story

Nope. My wife has more money than I do.

Its 2016. Women earn their own money these days 

Edited by SoiBiker

12 hours ago, balo said:

So you're one of the digital nomads I keep seeing in CM  every day?  The food court downstairs at Maya is where they meet, will queue up for the 40 baht dishes. They earned $4 maybe so they deserve to eat cheap .   The rest of us who can afford it eat upstairs . 

LMAO

12 hours ago, balo said:

What's wrong with eating good food for 40 b ? Do I smell snobbery in chiangmai?? 

4 years here..

things that set me back most?

1. owning a car.

2. eating at restaurants regularly. - try food courts and street food more.... cooking at home doesn't always work out cheaper if just for 1 or 2 persons.

3. not being careful with groceries... not just perishable foods.. but like a lot of house hold stuff is expensive here... it all adds up!

some things are ok for generic brands.. but many things end up unusable.. like tesco branded floss... 

4. be smart about utilities and phone bills...

only good thing is? my company has a provident fund which i opted in with pretty good returns... so if i ever resign.. i get a pretty decent cash payment... and i guess in many ways that is my "savings".

i've always been a strong believer in.. the best way to save more money? is to earn more. haha sad but true!

good luck!

3 hours ago, Macthehat said:

What's wrong with eating good food for 40 b ?

Nothing wrong with that if you live on cheap Thai food.  You want some gourmet food I guess you need to find another job. 

Edited by balo