Men dressed as soldiers accused of stealing 2m baht (video)

webfact

Men dressed as soldiers accused of stealing 2m baht (video)

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

Paisan.jpg

Paisan U-khum, 44, talks to police at the scene where he was robbed by three men in military uniforms Saturday in the northeastern province of Mukdahan.

MUKDAHAN — Police on Monday were searching for thieves who allegedly disguised themselves as military personnel to steal 2 million baht from a man in Mukdahan province.

Paisan U-khum said he was driving home Saturday afternoon when a black sedan blocked his way, and three men in military uniforms stepped out to demand he exit his SUV. They then stole the money he was carrying to trade for rubber.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/10/10/men-dressed-soldiers-accused-stealing-2m-baht-video/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-10

Is it normal practice in Thailand for legitimate business deals to be conducted in cash when the stakes are as high as 2 million bahts?

I know that I have paid an amount close to that in cash for a new Toyota car a few years ago, but that was at the request of the Toyota dealer, supposedly to expedite the transaction.  So, I was for a short time carrying that cash around with me, but surely it is a bit unusual.

5 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Next up: Men dressed as ministers accused of running country into the ground

After that a woman pretending to be Prime ministers letting their fugitive brother run the country.

Edited by billd766
Editing the text

11 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Is it normal practice in Thailand for legitimate business deals to be conducted in cash when the stakes are as high as 2 million bahts?

I know that I have paid an amount close to that in cash for a new Toyota car a few years ago, but that was at the request of the Toyota dealer, supposedly to expedite the transaction.  So, I was for a short time carrying that cash around with me, but surely it is a bit unusual.

Thailand is still a cash paying country, legitimate deals or not.

I did a similar thing a few years ago putting down 50% deposit in cash to buy my pickup truck.

17 hours ago, sharecropper said:

For years it's been the preserve of thieves '"dressed as police". Now, of course, it's the army's turn.

Very good!

Yes, it would be interesting to see how this one actually pans out.

But we prolly won't get to see it. . . .

17 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Prob more like 2000b. ?