Teenagers Arrested For Fatally Stabbing Eighth Grader At Victory Monument Bus Stop

Jai Dee

Teenagers arrested for fatally stabbing eighth grader at Victory Monument bus stop

Police Wednesday arrested a group of teenagers who allegedly fatally stabbed an eighth-grader boy at a bus stop at the Victory Monument Tuesday night.

Police said the teenagers would be brought to a press conference at the Metropolitan Police headquarters at 1 pm.

Sonthaya Waenngern, an eighth grader of Santiraj School, was held and repeatedly stabbed at the Victory Monument bus stop while he was waiting for a bus with a girlfriend.

Police said the attacker were angry that the girl refused to give them her phone number.

The boy was rushed to Rajvithi Hospital but he succumbed the injuries.

Source: The Nation - 29 November 2006

Youth killed over girl's telephone number

Police arrested two young men yesterday over the fatal stabbing of an eighth-grade boy in downtown Bangkok early yesterday morning.

Baramee Khammuengkhoon, 19, and an unnamed boy, aged 17, were arrested and later admitted to the crime, which occurred near Victory Monument.

But Din Daeng police are still looking for three others - Atthaphol Yoo-ain, 19; a man known only as Seksan, aged 20; and a 17-year-old known only as O.

Police, quoting witnesses, said the two arrested suspects and the three others allegedly cornered victim Pheeraphong Waen-ngern, 14, and stabbed him 10 times after he scolded them for asking for a phone number from a female student he was chatting with in front of his school, Santiraj Witthayalai, at 1.30am yesterday.

The five initially harassed the victim and slapped his face several times before assaulting him and stabbing him with a switchblade.

The female student said Pheeraphong told her to run when the assault began.

The unidentified student said she had seen the suspects several times and they had asked for her phone number once, but she refused to tell them.

Source: The Nation - 30 November 2006

I am sure those kids didn't realize the consequences of their actions.

When I read the first post I made an assumption that all the kids involved were around the same age and I refrained from commenting because even at fourteen, you should have a fairly good idea of the consequences of stabbing someone else repeatedly.

Now that the story has been updated and we discover that they were all considerably older than the unfortunate young lad, that carries even more weight.

I agree, I wasn't insinuating that they were oblivious to the effects of a stabbing, but like a lot of young people, I don't think they were thinking things out.

They remain a danger to society at large and they need to be dealt with and detained. There is no excuse for their behavior. Unfortunately, young people are prone to doing foolish things without thinking about the consequences of their action.

A lot of lives are negatively affected by this foolishness.

just another story that goes down in los everday.

last time the students were brawling on the bus and a kid got killed.

normal part of life here in los and always will be. :D

As long as I've been here, I've read about student of vocational schools brawling; stabbing and shooting each other. Obviously "thug" and "hitman" are viable vocations here still. :o

Silly little dorks usually manage to kill non-participants in the crossfire of their home-made guns. :D

Oh well.

just another story that goes down in los everday.

last time the students were brawling on the bus and a kid got killed.

normal part of life here in los and always will be. :o

You mean to say it only happens in Thailand??

J

J

:o Far from it! Sounds like the good ol' U S of A, one of the reasons I left! But then I'm about as far from Bangkok as you can get.

Only difference is that Thailand has a murder rate about 2 1/2 to 3 times higher than the US. And, fortunately in Thailand most gang kids don't have access to automatic weapons. Mostly used weapons are machetes, knifes, pen guns and a few guns from illegal factories.

J

:o Far from it! Sounds like the good ol' U S of A, one of the reasons I left! But then I'm about as far from Bangkok as you can get.

Only difference is that Thailand has a murder rate about 2 1/2 to 3 times higher than the US.

Does anyone know how the murders in Thailand split among

1) Thai killing Thai

2) Thai killing Farang

3) Farang killing Thai

4) Farang killing Farang ?

Or how the murders are geographically distributed?

J

Unfortunately happens far too much in UK too.

Until realistic sentences are handed out and the seriousness of carrying knives are realised, sadly it will continue.

Tragic.

J

Only difference is that Thailand has a murder rate about 2 1/2 to 3 times higher than the US.

Does anyone know how the murders in Thailand split among

1) Thai killing Thai

2) Thai killing Farang

3) Farang killing Thai

4) Farang killing Farang ?

Or how the murders are geographically distributed?

I have no statistics regarding your questions, only purely empirical, personal experience:

Almost all of these murders are Thai on Thai. After about 6 years with the local rescue services i am yet to see my first murdered farang, but have seen more dead Thais murdered by Thais than i can count. And many of those were in very similar circumstances like this one, and far more incidents such as this where the victim(s) was injured.

I am afraid to say that cases such as this are everyday fare.

I would be interested though if someone can find a reliable statistic on the geographical spread of such incidents.