Heads up for everyone renting out bikes.

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

What "valid" license are we talking TODAY ?

The "any  valid driving license" from the tourists country?

Or , a "Current International Drivers Permit" ?

Or  only one of the IDP's  WITH the 'motorcycle' box ticked and stamped?

Or a motorcycle license from the hirers country?

Or only a Thai Motorcycle Drivers license?

Ive seen all the above on different days requested by different  police.

As if none of them can be bought on Kao San road...

To have a friend scammed and use this as some sort of lesson in good business practise ...well....

Simple, an IDP is an "accompanying" document conforming to international convention issued to citizens with valid driving licences by most countries in the world and accepted in most countries, but needs to be presented with ones own driving licence to which the IDP is issued.

The IDP is the same size, colour and format regardless of which country issues, clearly showing what classifications of vehicles the holder may drive, it is simple and I suppose easy to forge or alter...

but there again Thailand has draconian punishments for those who use forged documents... :shock1:

So the answer to the above is your none Thai driving licence + an IDP issued for that licence, any vehicle driven should conform to the limits of both documents, (My driving licence allows me to drive in the UK many types vehicles not covered by the IDP, so I can not drive them in Thailand, I can also drive heavier vehicles in the UK than detailed in IDP's, so I would be limited to the weight limits of the IDP.)