Heads up for everyone renting out bikes.

Talked to a friend of mine that rents out bikes for a living.

Police came and asked him to pay the fine for his customer that did not have a valid MC driving license and rode without a helmet.

2500 baht for the bike owner, the  tourist did not have to pay anything.

Police demanded the tourists passport back and gave him that without questions.

So is it the rental business responsibility to check that the customer has a valid license ? If it is then good , same as in the west. We don't want beginners on the roads here. 

Good move, I can see a situation where the bikes will be rented by someone who has a valid licence for someone who does not, but then the intermediary should pay the fine.

Also bike renters should keep proof that they provided a correctly fitting helmet, IE a photo of rider wearing one. 

On 10/11/2016 at 1:32 PM, Basil B said:

Good move, I can see a situation where the bikes will be rented by someone who has a valid licence for someone who does not, but then the intermediary should pay the fine.

Also bike renters should keep proof that they provided a correctly fitting helmet, IE a photo of rider wearing one. 

Why?

12 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Just do it LEGALLY, people, then you won't be on here crying in your beer. 

Fair statement.......if Thailand was a country that follows the law. It does not.

Is it the law for the company to check the licence? Would they know a fake or real Mexican or Russian licence? Would the police?

On 10/14/2016 at 2:21 PM, Master of the court said:

Anyone tried to be stopped with a bicycle helmet? Did you get fined?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There's a knucklehead in Pattaya, wears a Construction hat, no buckle, moron, thinks he's a chuckle, until his egg breaks

On 10/11/2016 at 3:09 AM, balo said:

So is it the rental business responsibility to check that the customer has a valid license ? If it is then good , same as in the west. We don't want beginners on the roads here. 

just a one off shake down. not going to make any difference to anything. bet the guy is still doing business as usual. most motorbike rental business would go out of business if their renters needed correct licences.

2 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

As the age old saying goes, If you can do the time,do the crime.

Do you actually mean

If you cant do the time dont do the crime

Dont do the crime if you can do the time

Just curious

Edited by oldlakey

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Same as it's ever been-ILLEGAL  (despite the gullible voluntarily surrendering them & then crying wolf!) 

passports remain the property of the country that issues them and should not be left with anyone. a foreigner can not rent out motorbikes as it is a job reserved for thais. the renter needs a licence. the bike must have insurances. off course these and most other laws/rules are largely ignored but occasionally enforced for a cash 'fine'

?

?

?

?

?

?

Simply do not believe the police are good Samaritans. They would not upset there own dinner 

3 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

I'd be careful the OP is a Mod around here and would not start a troll post! :tongue:

What ever the moral of this story is this. The police fine who is aboard actually breaking the law. There's millions of Thais breaking the law daily in the roads. On others bikes. I have never seen a cop back track. Although maybe he thought it was a bigger feed at the other end. None the less he was a one time Feaster. He has hurt his long term feeding. The renters will not give him the opportunity again. So he will be back hiding at corners for non helmet riders.

3 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

I'd be careful the OP is a Mod around here and would not start a troll post! :tongue:

What ever the moral of this story is this. The police fine who is aboard actually breaking the law. There's millions of Thais breaking the law daily in the roads. On others bikes. I have never seen a cop back track. Although maybe he thought it was a bigger feed at the other end. None the less he was a one time Feaster. He has hurt his long term feeding. The renters will not give him the opportunity again. So he will be back hiding at corners for non helmet riders.

What "valid" license are we talking TODAY ?

The "any  valid driving license" from the tourists country?

Or , a "Current International Drivers Permit" ?

Or  only one of the IDP's  WITH the 'motorcycle' box ticked and stamped?

Or a motorcycle license from the hirers country?

Or only a Thai Motorcycle Drivers license?

Ive seen all the above on different days requested by different  police.

As if none of them can be bought on Kao San road...

To have a friend scammed and use this as some sort of lesson in good business practise ...well....