Unexpected move to Chiang Mai. Help needed!

Marcel1

Got a job offer in Chiang Mai and decided to take it. After 5 years in Bkk it would be good to have some change. 

The job however is to start somewhere during the middle of November which gives me little time to move stuff around. 

My biggest issue now is living space. I would like to have a place for about 10,000 bht a month, close to nimman as that where my new office is. 

Since I have a probation period of three months and i'm not that familiar in Chiang Mai it would be good if I just have a place for which is payable by the month with no deposits etc. 

This will give me time to see if the job fits and to explore the areas to see where I wanna move later. My gf would probably going as well but when is not sure yet. 

Most places seem to do only 1 year contracts so if any of you knows something, please send it to me. 

Looking forward to join you Northerners!

If you're ok with a 40 sq meter studio (give or take a few meters) 10k baht should give you several options, provided you are willing to sign a lease of six months or more.  Month to month may be difficult. 

I suggest an internet search to find some Chiang Mai real estate companies that handle rentals (most of them do) and see what they have, and where the condos are.  Of course you should come to Chiang Mai and personally check out the options before committing to anything.

Traffic on Nimmanhamin is often terrible, something in walking distance of your job would be a good idea.  Be prepared for nightlife options that aren't even a faint shadow of what's available in Bangkok.  Midnight closing is enforced in Chiang Mai, except for a few hole in the wall lock-in places (haven't found any in the Nimmanhamin area).

Do you need lots of space for your stuff?  Or just a small living for 3 months till on your feet and running?  Many of the latter at monthly rates less than 10K but i'm sure the more expensive ones are available too. Look around Nakornping Condo, a short walk to NimmanH.  

Yea I am busy with an Internet search but I cannot check before signing since I have no time for this. That's why I am looking for a month to month or 3 month contract. I need some space for stuff but have storage in bkk. 50m2 would be fine indeed for a few months and look around where to live after

6 hours ago, Marcel1 said:

Yea I am busy with an Internet search but I cannot check before signing since I have no time for this. That's why I am looking for a month to month or 3 month contract. I need some space for stuff but have storage in bkk. 50m2 would be fine indeed for a few months and look around where to live after

there are some hotels that will rent by the month a bit more expensive  but for a short term  stay ok till you figure out what you want. I sent you a PM

Edited by moe666
added info

I have a Canadian friend that used Lanna Moon Apartment and they can do 3 months contract....He did.

The son is the manager and can speak English but not the mother.

Run by a family and no problem get the deposit back.  Not 5 stars but room are clean.

Maybe at around 5000 or 6000 B a month it should not break your budget and you have time to look around for a new apartment later.

Not in your area but  you can use the red truck to go there or better rent your own motorcycle if you can ride.

http://lannamoonchiangmai.com/

The family run also Center Place guest house for daily or weekly rate.

Hope this can help you !

I think you can get a decent rate at a guesthouse for a short term - - easy and no leases to sign... take your time and look around from there... it is very much a buyers market but you are coming into tourist season and people will be seeking a bit higher rents.. 

I was there last week and it was very very quiet... 

good luck. 

This fully furnished place is on Huay Kaew Road but not that far from where you want to be. If you don’t want to pay the higher rates to stay in their new building they also have 2 older (five years) and cheaper buildings at the front of the site facing Huay Kaew Road including one bedroom and studios.

If you don’t want to stay there long term at least it will give you the flexibility of staying somewhere for now until you can have a better chance to look around to something more permanent and it would be cheaper than a hotel.

http://www.prestige-cm.com/nimman/?lg=en

2 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I have a Canadian friend that used Lanna Moon Apartment and they can do 3 months contract....He did.

The son is the manager and can speak English but not the mother.

Run by a family and no problem get the deposit back.  Not 5 stars but room are clean.

Maybe at around 5000 or 6000 B a month it should not break your budget and you have time to look around for a new apartment later.

Not in your area but  you can use the red truck to go there or better rent your own motorcycle if you can ride.

http://lannamoonchiangmai.com/

The family run also Center Place guest house for daily or weekly rate.

Hope this can help you !

I have been to check this place out

Not in the area he needs

Plus the rooms are very small

tucked in a small soi from Loi  Kro

21 hours ago, heybruce said:

Traffic on Nimmanhamin is often terrible, something in walking distance of your job would be a good idea.

I'm here in CM on a 3 week explore before moving permanently in the new year. First conclusion I came to is I don't want to live near Nimmanhamin. Moving from London, I don't want a clone traffic situation.

Since the office is in Nimman, the fact that the traffic is bad shouldn't be a concern.  The Nimman area is pretty good for walking, with many options for shopping, restaurants, etc.  I second the suggestion for a short-term rental via StayinChiangMai.com  Their places are turn-key, with several in the Nimman area.  A little above the target rate, but a good place to start out with no worries, no paying for transport, etc.

Thanks all. I don't worry too much about traffic as I will be bringing my scoot and big bike. It can't be worse then playing bkk traffic every day for 5 years can it? ;) I just don't want to spend over 20 min traveling from and to work.

Some good suggestions on here to check out! Thnx

Nimman can be heavy traffic but it is easy to avoid if you do not go to Maya intersection (worst traffic light in Chiang Mai...)

Many shortcuts on both side of nimman (east and west) to allow you to reach other areas.

http://theblisschiangmai.com/ is another option with some nice shortcuts to nimman, some bedrooms and some loft options (maybe slightly over 10k though).

Many many options all around nimma anyway, i would just book a guest house for a week or two and see on site..

Beware though, high season and loy Kratong coming soon, lot of places will be fully booked and prices sky rocket compared to Oct.

6 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

I have been to check this place out

Not in the area he needs

Plus the rooms are very small

tucked in a small soi from Loi  Kro

Yes sir , I mention it is not in the area he would like, but nobody else gave an alternative for a 2-3 month rental. Up to him to decide ...I just try to help....Is it not what this forum is for ?

Go and have a look in Hillside 4.  Its just around the corner and they have very good parking, plus a pool and gym on site.  Lots of places for rent on their notice boards...big thing is, dont take the rental price as gospil. Haggling is the name of the game.

Missus did have a place there but sold it a year ago.  I enjoyed staying ther as its pretty good spot as a base.  One hassle would be going to Niman in/on a vehicle as you have to travel some distance to do a U turn. Walking would not be a problem.

There are lots of apartments at the upper end of Suthep Road. Most are occupied by CMU students but also some foreigners like me. Many new complexes have been built during the past 5 years. Also, very little to nil flyover noise than the main Nimman area. Only 10-15 minutes by motorbike to Nimmanheiman. I stay at Central Hill Place which is an older complex but you should be able to get a one bedroom with a separate living room there within your budget on a monthly or 3 month contract.

Many of the student places area of Suthep around Nimman that will do shorter contracts don't advertise on the internet.  Best to get in someplace for a few or two and just go around on foot and make inquiries.  There are some new places and since the medical school campus is in that area, the quality of the students is a cut above some of the other CMU students, in my opinion.  These students actually have to get up early to go to work, do some studying, etc, so not so many bars and nice selection of restaurants and shops area. 

We just moved to Chiang Mai from Hat Yai (only a 1,800km drive) and we got a condo for 2 months, with the option for longer. We moved in yesterday. We looked at a few places with agents and I thought we had agreed a 12 month contract on another place with a 6 month break clause, but it wasn't, so we didn't.

Instead we agreed a 2 month contract with the option to continue (with a months notice or more) after staying in the condo we found on AirBnB. We asked the owner and agreed a deal. I'm paying a bit more than I would on a longer contract but it's within the budget and less than the other condo we were going to be at. The owner is very nice and we're happy with the arrangement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/14/2016 at 8:27 PM, Marcel1 said:

So Timbob, you found your place on airbnb first?

Yes. 

We first stayed at another condo for 6 nights and we looked at some places with an agent. Among the viewings was dCondo, near Central Festival, which we liked. I then booked us in for a 3 nights at the dCondo via AirBnB as I figured we might as well test the place for a few nights before committing for 6 months or more. The husband (Thai) and wife (Chinese) owners were very welcoming and we mentioned that we were looking for a condo to stay long term. They said to let them know if we liked it here, so we did a couple of days later. It cost about 1k a night on AirBnB and they offered a 'VIP' (their words) 50% discount so we're paying 15k a month. I tried to get them down on the price but I'm okay with that price as we've only signed for a minimum of 2 months. On a 12 month deal we could get a similar room for 11k-13k. In a month's time we'll let them know if we'd liked to stay longer, to give them time to put it back on AirBnB should we decide to move on. Plus, we only had to put down 5k as a deposit.

So far so good.