THAI TOURISM: Security advisories 'may hurt tourism'

webfact

38 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

So the relevant question is : what image does the Internet globally convey, at the moment, about Thailand ? How much of it is positive and how much negative ? That is what TAT should be concerned about. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they start indicting tourists for defamation if they write anything negative online about Thailand. Wouldn't even be surprised if Thais in their heat for max tourist number start kidnapping people from Swampy and count them as tourists. 

The effect of tourism on GDP seems to be quoted somewhere around 10%. With the constant whining about abcxyz hurting tourism the truth must be nearer to 90%.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Typical but sad attitude.

To hell with security just don't interfere with tourism.

Unfortunately it may well be that in the not too distant future tourism will be rocked to its core ! 

Foreign govts give out scare notices for a reason,to cover their own arse and increase local tourism.Also suits the scare campaign they run to try and convince their own citizens that they know best and have everything under control.

the tourist agenciest should not fear the temporary drop in tourism as remaining transparent will only strengthen the image as a responsible country. indonesia is as open to attacks as any other country. it is doubtful that people will make a beeline to philippines  any time soon considering their domestic circumstances.keep the world informed of the existing situation. it will be to your eventual advantage.

16 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

We don't want negative impact on tourism so we can pee check them in the streets treat them as terrorists and treat them as second class people because they are not Thai. 

visitors are not fools. do it without prudence and you have no one  to pee check.

The  trend is for tourists not to take notice of advice , however they are provided for a reason , you get yourself into trouble don't call us we wont help you,  so if you are travelling without insurance and you get blown up or  injured,  don't ask the government for help, set up a go fund me to get home page .....................................................................:coffee1:

21 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Foreign govts give out scare notices for a reason,to cover their own arse and increase local tourism.Also suits the scare campaign they run to try and convince their own citizens that they know best and have everything under control.

is it  not the duty of a responsible government to give out a fair advisory if the situation so warrants. how can we be certain that there is additional agenda in the advisory.

Edited by sahibji

41 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they start indicting tourists for defamation if they write anything negative online about Thailand. Wouldn't even be surprised if Thais in their heat for max tourist number start kidnapping people from Swampy and count them as tourists. 

The effect of tourism on GDP seems to be quoted somewhere around 10%. With the constant whining about abcxyz hurting tourism the truth must be nearer to 90%.

Yann55 that about sums up the situation well. on its part TAT ought to present the true situation to the world so that correct perceptions prevail.

11 minutes ago, sahibji said:

the tourist agenciest should not fear the temporary drop in tourism as remaining transparent will only strengthen the image as a responsible country. indonesia is as open to attacks as any other country. it is doubtful that people will make a beeline to philippines  any time soon considering their domestic circumstances.keep the world informed of the existing situation. it will be to your eventual advantage.

Thailand's own domestic situation could result in ' eventual ' being a long way off with no guarantee of a return to an ' as was ' position.

Business people are only too well aware that lost customers are very difficult to win back.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

47 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

you are a bunch of wimps, mention the word terrorist and you all pee in your pants, you have more chance of being hit by lightning than being killed by a bomb in Thailand. Yes i know it has happened before but so have road accidents. Look on the bright side,it's safer here than in Afghanistan or on the streets of London.

Afghanistan  yes but on what authority is the comparison made with London. it is not being wimps but to ignore know or prospective threats is surely perilous to out own health.

51 minutes ago, neeray said:

"..... many tourists will shift their trips to other countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia or Philippines.... "

Vietnam -- more dangerous roads and motorcyclists than Thailand (from what I hear). 

Indonesia -- take a noise cancelling headset if you stay in Jakarta. The loud speaker prayer music is deafening. Beware if you are not a Muslim. 

Philippines - get robbed, maybe decapitated or scammed. 

I still prefer Thailand. The chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so minuscule. 

Bombs threats be darned. 

or kidnapped in the Philippines. 

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

I would take my chances trying to

protect the tourists,. A bomb killing

100-200 tourists would destroy

tourism for years!  

for sure. best that can be done is to keep people informed and exercise due vigilance. it is not a sure cure but the chances of an attack will be minimised.

6 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Typical but sad attitude.

To hell with security just don't interfere with tourism.

Unfortunately it may well be that in the not too distant future tourism will be rocked to its core ! 

I think your right. When attacking an enemy always look for their Achilles heel. You don't need large armies with big guns just stealth and a few sticks of dynamite and steal off into the night. Hit and run. Let the fear factor do the rest. 

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

as with many things in thailand security is just for show. only takes a day to train a security guard to ride a segway. it takes weeks and thousands of dollars to effectively  train someone to use a firearm. also it is hard to find a security guard who has enough money to buy a decent firearm.

Thailand has securityguards with machineguns, they looked like well fed/trained young men when i saw them in the skytrains standing at every door.

Better have a guard on a step/bicycle with a good gun instead of a segway without a gun.

I've seen machineguns on almost every airport around the world but never in Thailand.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

"..... many tourists will shift their trips to other countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia or Philippines.... "

Vietnam -- more dangerous roads and motorcyclists than Thailand (from what I hear). 

Indonesia -- take a noise cancelling headset if you stay in Jakarta. The loud speaker prayer music is deafening. Beware if you are not a Muslim. 

Philippines - get robbed, maybe decapitated or scammed. 

I still prefer Thailand. The chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so minuscule. 

Bombs threats be darned. 

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

2 hours ago, SoFarAndNear said:

Islamic extremism terrorism is everywhere around the globe. I don't think that Thailand should worry to much about any image problem. It can hit you same in Thailand as walking at some Beach promenade in South France. Those Jihadist are everywhere Only safe place to avoid them is probably a holiday at the South Pole right now :D

As recent events even in Thailand have proven, Islamic extremism is not the only source of terrorism and Jihadists not the only terrorists to be feared.  The most globally prevalent; the most headline-grabbing (and that's intentional); the highest body counts ... but not the only source of murder & mayhem and not the only risk to tourism.

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

I don't but I have been to many Asian countries except Vn. 

I saw my fellow Canadian's head cut off with a jungle knife (on the Internet). 

I heard the ear piercing prayer music personally in Jakarta. I read every one of the 214 names on the monument in Bali. 

But thanks for the free advice. 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Many tourists are already going to nearby countries.

Never fear TAT have everything under control tourism numbers are up-up-up according to them.

Security also is under control, if you believe the PM and his cronies.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Many tourists are already going to nearby countries.

Never fear TAT have everything under control tourism numbers are up-up-up according to them.

Security also is under control, if you believe the PM and his cronies.

That's true,but not for the reasons you think.After coming to Thailand 2 or 3 times and infastructure improving,tourists are bound to check out other countries.Only mongers keep coming back to the same hole,multiple times.

3 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

If tourists come to Thailand which has the worlds second largest road fatalities, I don't think a little bomb scare will prevent them from coming. Traffic kills more people worldwide than malaria or TB, and almost equals the number dying in AIDS. But that doesn't deter people from going out in the streets or driving a car or motorcycle.

Bombs in Paris, New York etc... I think it is becoming part of the normal "going about your business as usual".

Those travel warnings various countries put out is mostly for political purpose, such as if something happens to their citizens, someone will call them on it and ask "why didn't you issue a travel warning?"

I honestly come to bkk bc of the opposite.. I drive a moto in Cambodia , which is not safe, but I love the ease of BKK / mass transit.  I can look at the roads but dont have to deal with them.  Makes me a lot less dependent on the dangerous roads and sometimes people.