Australian denied bail over ex-biker’s killing in Chon Buri

webfact

Australian denied bail over ex-biker’s killing in Chon Buri

Kesinee Taengkhieo
The Nation

PATTAYA: -- AN AUSTRALIAN suspect in the abduction and killing of a former Sydney Hells Angels biker in Chon Buri province last year has been refused bail due to fears he might flee Thailand.

Antonio Bagnato, 26, is accused of leading a gang of five masked men in the abduction of Pattaya-based Australian businessman Wayne Schneider, 37, from his home in the early hours of November 30, 2015. 

The group allegedly killed him and buried the body in a two-metre-deep grave in Tambon Chom Thien. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Australian-denied-bail-over-ex-bikers-killing-in-C-30297560.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-13

More than the bail question---the judicial system needs to be speeded up here, this is that guys first appearance in court. For a crime he  allegedly took part in, nearly a year ago. It sometimes takes 2-3 years just to have the trial date set. It's OK denying bail to someone you think is a flight risk, if Justice is a bit swifter than that. To make a person sit in Jail for years before he can have his day in court, is in some cases a double punishment...................:coffee1:

Bail has been given in Thailand for people convicted of murder and sentenced to death while they appeal the case to the Appellate level and then to the Supreme Court. It has also been given in lesser cases when an appeal is launched after a conviction.  Normally, in a capital case in Thailand, if the defendant is a foreigner, they are considered a high flight risk and bail is denied.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Bail has been given in Thailand for people convicted of murder and sentenced to death while they appeal the case to the Appellate level and then to the Supreme Court. It has also been given in lesser cases when an appeal is launched after a conviction.  Normally, in a capital case in Thailand, if the defendant is a foreigner, they are considered a high flight risk and bail is denied.

Court cases should be quicker but many times it's the defendant that slows them down.   I have a friend who did time for stealing a motorbike ,he did the crime and time but by the time he went to court and prison he was a changed man but he had to pay for the crime . He has not offended since and it was not his first time in prison

On 13/10/2016 at 9:51 AM, phantomfiddler said:

I read many times of Thai offenders being granted bail under similar circumstances, maybe a bit of racial prejudice here !

You are right, I remember 2 police, charged with murder, , found guilty, sentenced to death, being released, on bail, never to be seen again. Ah Thailand, you do wish our memories  would fade.

Edited by Rorri

You are right, I remember 2 police, charged with murder, , found guilty, sentenced to death, being released, on bail, never to be seen again. Ah Thailand, you do wish our memories  would fade.

He probably doesn't have the funds to grease the wheels of "justice".

4 hours ago, Rorri said:

Duh. Police don't represent "similar circumstances." If the bikers were also Thai police, then that might be different. And so with any ordinary Thai as well. No evidence of racism therefore. We could do without all the knee-jerk farang victimism and paranoia here. We have on the contrary many testimonials from posters, including me, of fair treatment by Thai police.