Bangkok footpaths liberated at last

webfact

EDITORIAL

Bangkok footpaths liberated at last

The Nation 

With more such efforts, the BMA can silence sceptics who expect the illegal sidewalk vendors to creep back in

BANGKOK: -- Downtown Bangkok footpaths have all of a sudden become free of vending stalls thanks to City Hall's belated but still welcome enforcement of the law prohibiting the obstruction of pedestrian walkways.

Over the past week the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has strictly enforced the law in all areas of the city, following several months of relaxed rules and "easing-out zones" for street vendors. Officials from the BMA's City Law Enforcement Department have this week remained stationed at different locations to enforce the ban on roadside vending. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Bangkok-footpaths-liberated-at-last-30297630.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-14

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last time I looked a few days ago the footpath vendors were thick on the ground along Soi 4 Sukhumvit. 

Only about a year or so a go a pedestrian was killed when he was forced to step onto the road to avoid them.

"The BMA has no other choice," he said. "If we don't take any action, we could be charged with dereliction of duty."

So there, it is being done not for the benefit of pedestrians all but is an ass covering exercise by the BMA.

So typical of Thailand's bureaucracy in looking after themselves rather than the people. If any benefit comes to the people it is purely co-incidental.

Edited by Brer Fox

3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

As much as these vendors were a pain, they had viable businesses and sold to locals and visitors.  They had suppliers as well..  Sadly no imaginative solutions were discussed just the iron fist was used.  A sad but common occurrence in Thailand today.

What imaginative solution did your country came up with for their sidewalks?

19 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

As much as these vendors were a pain, they had viable businesses and sold to locals and visitors.  They had suppliers as well..  Sadly no imaginative solutions were discussed just the iron fist was used.  A sad but common occurrence in Thailand today.

From elections to viable businesses, you seem to happily support those breaking the law and advocate allowing them to continue. What other illegal "viable businesses" should be given a free pass - beggars, drug dealers, counterfeiters?

About bloody time. I live smack in the middle of it and I guessing... Actually I know nearly all the posters crying about it do not, so tough luck, you're once a year trip to lower Sukhumvit will be inconvenienced on your walk to soi 4 Nana Plaza but that's life

The thai people deserve a clean and modern bangkok and not a lawless one.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

A pain maybe but these vendors were part of what makes Bangkok Bangkok. Every time I return I see a more sterile city catering to the middle classes and hi-sos. 

I prefer to think of it as less stinky sidewalks. No more pouring food scrap and gravy into the storm drains...

1 minute ago, halloween said:

From elections to viable businesses, you seem to happily support those breaking the law and advocate allowing them to continue. What other illegal "viable businesses" should be given a free pass - beggars, drug dealers, counterfeiters?

No, am interested in their viable, legal business and a creative that way they can continue.   Not all their products are illegal if memory serves.  Bought a nice Thai lamp there.  Other countries in the region seem to have sorted these problems out, while Thailand seems to not be able to. 

13 minutes ago, trogers said:

Bigger sidewalks to accommodate more carts?

The vendors should put their carts on the road and take the same chances with the traffic as the pedestrians have to when they are required to step around them and so exposing life and limb. 

1 minute ago, Brer Fox said:

The vendors should put their carts on the road and take the same chances with the traffic as the pedestrians have to when they are required to step around them and so exposing life and limb. 

I doubt those carts would cut off the parking spaces of their customers...

29 minutes ago, trogers said:

What imaginative solution did your country came up with for their sidewalks?

We have shops to buy tshirts, hairpins, peanuts...yes i know it's very strange :post-4641-1156694572:

For hotdogs and food we have small trailers and kiosks.  To sit and eat we have benches under tree's and parks or it's food you can eat on the go (no fork/spoon needed).  Yup very odd again.

Also my fellowfarang are not lazy and can walk well, they even use bicycles in the city, imagine that! So weird. And on top of that they even like to be in sunshine! :sorry:

Our sidewalks are flat (no holes), wide, have tree's, busstops, special tiles for blind people to follow, ramps for wheelchairs, no standing advertisings, no dripping aircondrains, no lowhanging umbrella's/trafficsigns with sharp points, no people standing in the way, zebracrossings with stoplights, no broken drains (heavy duty), no filthy black smurry, no rats/cockroaches, benches at busstops, flowers in planters (not in the walkway)...i'll get my coat before you start chasing me.

23 minutes ago, halloween said:

All those businesses you speak of are already given a free pass at certain times of the day and night so long as they pay the rent to the "right" people acting as the footpath marketing mafia. 

Edited by Brer Fox

Just now, fruitman said:

We have shops to buy tshirts, hairpins, peanuts...yes i know it's very strange :post-4641-1156694572:

For hotdogs and food we have small trailers and kiosks.  To sit and eat we have benches under tree's and parks or it's food you can eat on the go (no fork/spoon needed).  Yup very odd again.

Also my fellowfarang are not lazy and can walk well, they even use bicycles in the city, imagine that! So weird. And on top of that they even like to be in sunshine! :sorry:

Our sidewalks are flat (no holes), wide, have tree's, busstops, special tiles for blind people to follow, ramps for wheelchairs, no standing advertisings, no dripping aircondrains, no lowhanging umbrella's/trafficsigns with sharp points, no people standing in the way, zebracrossings with stoplights, no broken drains (heavy duty), no filthy black smurry, no rats/cockroaches, benches at busstops, flowers in planters (not in the walkway)...i'll get my coat before you start chasing me.

Bangkok too have shops next to sidewalks. But they all cost money to rent or buy. And it takes more money to maintain.

Why do you think the sidewalks here are so overwhelmed by carts, blocking the shops?

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

Last time I looked a few days ago the footpath vendors were thick on the ground along Soi 4 Sukhumvit. 

Only about a year or so a go a pedestrian was killed when he was forced to step onto the road to avoid them.

"The BMA has no other choice," he said. "If we don't take any action, we could be charged with dereliction of duty."

So there, it is being done not for the benefit of pedestrians all but is an ass covering exercise by the BMA.

So typical of Thailand's bureaucracy in looking after themselves rather than the people. If any benefit comes to the people it is purely co-incidental.

Really ?  So if Western police do not enforce the law, it is OK ? They will not lose their jobs ?

Sad statement.

38 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The place sounds so good. Head back there. Bangkok is like no other and that is what makes it unique. How many Singapores do we actually need?

1 hour ago, halloween said:

A fine example of hyperbole 

38 minutes ago, callaway said:

The place sounds so good. Head back there. Bangkok is like no other and that is what makes it unique. How many Singapores do we actually need?

The streetvendors can all go upcountry, loads of cities there and much more space.

Bangkokians can shop in malls and walk to them over clean tidy sidewalks.

People like yourself can stay upcountry as well since you don't want to live in a 2nd singapore. Enjoy them grilled fieldrats :passifier:

29 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The streetvendors can all go upcountry, loads of cities there and much more space.

Bangkokians can shop in malls and walk to them over clean tidy sidewalks.

People like yourself can stay upcountry as well since you don't want to live in a 2nd singapore. Enjoy them grilled fieldrats :passifier:

The street vendors are not leaving...Street vending is part of Thai culture...

Sure they might get beat back or a while... For a week a month a year..

But they have always come back and probley always will...

I think most people like the street vendors and would not want it any other

way....For those that like living in a sterile environment Singapore is your

paradise......