ARC Welder Scam

wayned

I recently bought a Bison BX6-250 Arc welder from Lazada.  It has an 8 position rotary switch on the front which increases the output amperage from level 1, lowest, to 7, highest , with an Off position.

The first problem was that it was supplied with an electrical input "pigtail" with a Shucko connector on the end.  The manual clearly states that the input wiring should be at least 10MM2, but this "pigtail" was 3C x 2.5MM2.  I fixed that by installing a short pigtail using 3C x 10MM2 VCT and a 32 amp connector.  All was well and the unit functioned properly, I thought, thru all 7 switch positions.

But , clumsy me, dropped a heavy piece of metal and broke off the switch shaft and knob.  I could still use it by removing the cover and changing switch positions with a 6mm wrench on the shaft that protruded from the back of the switch.  I looked at the switch and found markings indicating that it was a 380/220 VAC 25A switch.  I searched eBay and found one and after a month of Sundays it arrived yesterday from China.  It looked like the right one so I installed it this morning, which required disassembly of the whole freaking unit.  The first thing that I found was that the new switch had 8 different connections, one for each position.  But the old switch only had 5 connections even though it had 8 detents on the switch.

I installed the new one using only the first five connections , so now my welder works on switch positions 1 - 5, but is off in positions 6 and 7.  What I found was that the old switch was actually a 6 position switch made to look like an 8 position switch.  Switch  positions 6 and 7 were actually shorted internally to position 5 so that when you switch to these positions they had the same current output as position 5.  I guess that the only way to be sure that you are getting what you pay for is to open it up and inspect it before you buy.  I guess that it costs less to manufacture since the transformer can be smaller since it has less windings!

I don't think it's silly as they work  and are acceptable for the limited amount of welding that I do.   I broke it, it didn't go tits up on it's own,  that's why I ordered the part which was less than 10 % of the cost of a new welder.  I could have ordered the part from the UK for 17 GBPs plus 25 GBPs shipping but most likely got the same part made in China.  The one that I got was 12 GBPs delivered.  I was only commenting about the deceptive design.  I read somewhere that Bison welders are actually made in Poland with Chinese parts, that would be an interesting discussion, a Polish built Chinese welder, would it be Polese or Chinish?

I intend to do the same thing with it that local builders do, leave it right where it is when I kick the bucket!

Actually from looking at the 3 units sold through Lazada two of them clearly indicate peak power is position 5 of the switch (the 3rd unit has no such increase width graph on panel) so it appears the same case/switch is likely used for other amperage units that might use position 6/7 for increased power.  I would not call it a scam - it seems to have been designed to peak at position 5.

Edit:  I stand corrected - it is the same unit and model number but name is Sun rather than Bison - time for coffee.

the-sun-ed-achantuuechuue-maiffaasaetnels-run-bx6-250a-8528-7807468-a1d3c41d16f6f67fbbf148584649da17-webp-zoom.jpg

Edited by lopburi3

I went back and looked at the ad for the one that I bought, http://www.lazada.co.th/bison-250-bx6-250-548060.html,.

There is no such disclaimer there that I see.  You would assume that if it has an 8 position switch that it's output power would increase all the way through position 7 and not have position 6 and 7 be the same as position 5.

Yes but if you paid an extra 1k for the Sun unit it would have been at least a bit more obvious.  But do not believe it was designed to scam anyone - the full power is indicated and expect that is what is delivered in 5/6/7 - just cheaper to use the switch/faceplate they have available then obtain another I suspect.

Interesting point, pay an extra 1k to be told up front that switch positions 6 & 7 are the same as 5.  I probably would never have found it if I hadn't been a clumsy goof and dropped the piece of metal. 

I just feel that it is total misrepresentation.