Looking For An Amicable Solution.....

Someone is interested in a diamond I had posted in the free classfieds.

Now the problem is this. I'm in Bangkok and the interested person is within Thailand but very very far. As the value involved is high, I don't want to ship without receiving payment, whereas the interested person would never send me money without actually having the diamond graded by some reliable jeweller or lab.

Could someone possible recommend an amicable solution for this problem? :o

Sounds like a situation where the actual transaction has to take place face to face. Regardless of how much papertrail the buyer gets for his payment: what would prevent the seller from posting a piece of glass and claim that he actually did ship the genuine goods?

Provide the buyer with photos and accurate description and make yourself sure the buyer is sincere. One way to determine the sincerity is to suggest the buyer to meet somewhere, which requires him to make his share of effort to reach the meeting place. Just some thoughts.

Yep, I think that a journey where both parties will have to travel is the best bet, also somewhere that would have an appraiser (?) near so that the Diamond can be verified.

The one thing that worries me is that I would not advertise the fact that Im travelling in Thailand with a big F#&K off Diamond, so maybe go with a BIG friend

Why not put it into an Escrow (Independant Third party)

He pays the funds in to the Escrow agent.

You send the Diamond in to the Escrow agent.

The buyer views the Diamond at the premises of the Escrow. If he if likes it, the deal is sanctioned and he walks off with the Diamond and the Escrow agent releases the money to you less a small fee.

If it is going to be a large transaction, surely a face to face meeting at a buyer/seller mutually chosen appraiser would be the correct way to go. NO WAY would I trust the mail to make delivery. I would think this is a fairly obvious conclusion.

If it is going to be a large transaction, surely a face to face meeting at a buyer/seller mutually chosen appraiser would be the correct way to go. NO WAY would I trust the mail to make delivery. I would think this is a fairly obvious conclusion.

hi value, hi worth, hi risk.

therefore...someone gets on a bus/low cost airline, split the cost of the flight.

Why not put it into an Escrow (Independant Third party)

He pays the funds in to the Escrow agent.

You send the Diamond in to the Escrow agent.

The buyer views the Diamond at the premises of the Escrow. If he if likes it, the deal is sanctioned and he walks off with the Diamond and the Escrow agent releases the money to you less a small fee.

This looks like the best option so far. But, does the buyer have to view the product at the premises only? I assume that they have no idea about verifying the diamond as to its genuinity or quality. I want them to be satisfied before buying. Their original plan was to have it verified by an independent laboratory even though this diamond has been graded by IGI as you can see in the ad link. So, could they pay the agent and take the diamond out of the premise to clear their doubts?

Also, how much do these agents charge as fees?

This looks like the best option so far. But, does the buyer have to view the product at the premises only? I assume that they have no idea about verifying the diamond as to its genuinity or quality. I want them to be satisfied before buying. Their original plan was to have it verified by an independent laboratory even though this diamond has been graded by IGI as you can see in the ad link. So, could they pay the agent and take the diamond out of the premise to clear their doubts?

Also, how much do these agents charge as fees?

Nobody? :o

If this item is of considerable value, greater that 100,000, then it is worth your while to get on a plane and meet the buyer in his airport. Airports are very safe places. Allow him to inspect the diamond there, and have cash for you as well.

You have no idea if this person whom you would meet in their office might simply take the diamond and threaten you. Do it in the airport where you are safe.

You could contact one of the auction houses, and pay them a partial fee for assisting in the transaction. They would not receive a commission, but a fee for the services that they provide.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

If this item is of considerable value, greater that 100,000, then it is worth your while to get on a plane and meet the buyer in his airport. Airports are very safe places. Allow him to inspect the diamond there, and have cash for you as well.

Airports may be safe places, but the buyer want's to independently verify the diamond's authencity, quality etc. He has no idea of diamonds, and also he does not know any jeweller to consult.

You have no idea if this person whom you would meet in their office might simply take the diamond and threaten you. Do it in the airport where you are safe.

A few others also gave the same above advice. But, then again the same above problem that the diamond may have to leave the airport. :D

You could contact one of the auction houses, and pay them a partial fee for assisting in the transaction. They would not receive a commission, but a fee for the services that they provide.

No one knows any escrow services or auction houses that assist such transactions in Thailand :o ?

Airports may be safe places, but the buyer want's to independently verify the diamond's authencity, quality etc. He has no idea of diamonds, and also he does not know any jeweller to consult.

A few others also gave the same above advice. But, then again the same above problem that the diamond may have to leave the airport. :D

No one knows any escrow services or auction houses that assist such transactions in Thailand :o ?

Call Asian Institute of Gemological Sciences, http://aigsthailand.com . They are an internationally recognised organization that does gem testing and training. They should be able to help you with whatever you need and any dealings with them will be entirely above board. I don't know if they offer escrow services but they can certainly do a diamond report and would be very familiar with reliable companies that could provide any service they don't.

Call Asian Institute of Gemological Sciences, http://aigsthailand.com . They are an internationally recognised organization that does gem testing and training. They should be able to help you with whatever you need and any dealings with them will be entirely above board. I don't know if they offer escrow services but they can certainly do a diamond report and would be very familiar with reliable companies that could provide any service they don't.

The point here is not about having the diamond tested. It's already been graded by International Gemological Institute. And, I'm sure they don't do any out of lab proccessing like escrow services etc.

The point here is not about having the diamond tested. It's already been graded by International Gemological Institute. And, I'm sure they don't do any out of lab proccessing like escrow services etc.

After rereading your posts and looking at the link to what you are selling it seems you are making this way more difficult than necessary.

You mention several times the buyers concern that he is getting what he is paying for. Did you have them seal the stone with the report? That should be all the buyer needs for verification. If not you can go to IGS together and have them verify the report belongs to that stone (probably for a small fee). The other benefit to this is that you can finish the deal there where there is sure to be security. Buyer is confident he is getting what he wants and you are protected from someone grabbing your diamond and running.

After rereading your posts and looking at the link to what you are selling it seems you are making this way more difficult than necessary.

You mention several times the buyers concern that he is getting what he is paying for. Did you have them seal the stone with the report? That should be all the buyer needs for verification. If not you can go to IGS together and have them verify the report belongs to that stone (probably for a small fee). The other benefit to this is that you can finish the deal there where there is sure to be security. Buyer is confident he is getting what he wants and you are protected from someone grabbing your diamond and running.

Wow!!! Tim207, now why did I not think of this before? Though I did know about the sealing process, it did not really strike me. I'll now get the diamond sealed and suggest this option to the interested person. I'll also send him a link to this thread, assuming he has not read it so far and leave the options to him, if it is alright to seal it.

Now, would you happen to have pictures of the back side of a sealed diamond :

1) which has just been sealed and intact &

2) which has been tampered and the message showing that the protection seal has been broken

? :o

so that any interested person might know how to identify one.

Wow!!! Tim207, now why did I not think of this before? Though I did know about the sealing process, it did not really strike me. I'll now get the diamond sealed and suggest this option to the interested person. I'll also send him a link to this thread, assuming he has not read it so far and leave the options to him, if it is alright to seal it.

Now, would you happen to have pictures of the back side of a sealed diamond :

1) which has just been sealed and intact &

2) which has been tampered and the message showing that the protection seal has been broken

? :o

so that any interested person might know how to identify one.

Sorry, I have never seen IGS's sealing package but I would assume that they do it in a way that makes it evident if it was tampered with as that is the whole point of sealing. IGS should be happy to explain to anyone how to spot tampering or counterfeits. If the buyer is really concerned about deception, he can meet you at IGS to pickup the sealed diamond. If you want to meet somewhere else any info about yourself and how to find you would help relieve his fears. This is more risky for you as well as him. He could take the stone to a disreputable jewler for setting or verification and be cheated there, then he might come back to you claiming fraud. For private parties who don't trust each other and don't have gem expertise the best option is a meet at the place of verification.

Edited by Tim207