Iraqi army prepares to retake Mosul

rooster59

Iraqi army prepares to retake Mosul

606x341_346679.jpg

Iraqi special forces have begun a major military build up outside Mosul ahead of a planned offensive to retake the ISIL held city.

The operation to retake Mosul is expected to be the most complex yet for Iraq’s army and comes as the US-led coalition increases air strikes against militants in and around the city.

In a statement, the coalition said its planes had conducted more than 50 airstrikes against the so-called Islamic State group in the area over the past two weeks.

“We arrived here at 4am during sunrise. We have come to liberate Mosul. We will liberate it and we will make sure the families can return home,’‘ said one Iraqi army spokesman.

Mosul has been under ISIL control for more than two years. Around 30,000 Iraqi and coalition forces are expected to take part in the offensive, which the United Nations fears could spark a major humanitarian emergency.

Lise Grande, UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq said:
“The U.N. estimates that in a worst case scenario, Mosul could represent the single largest most complex humanitarian operation in the world in 2016. There are a number of reasons why it is so complex. The sheer scope of the expected operation, in a worst case scenario there could be 1.2 to 1.5 million civilians inside of the city who could be impacted.”

Potentially the biggest battle in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003, the assault for Mosul is predicted to begin by the end of this month.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-15

I don't know if it is a good idea to announce the attack in advance, but then with the build up its probably obvious anyway. I just worry that ISSIS will start killing all the innocents there. I guess we all know they will hide behind the innocents. I will say this though, I don't think we need any prisoners. When you have raped and killed without mercy throwing your arms up should only make you a bigger target. Problem there is How can you tell ISSIS killers from Iraqi citizens. What a mess. Why don't we just get out of the middle east for good. We will always be seen as the bad guys there anyway.

It will be a good day when all the ISIL dogs are chased out of all of the cities in Syria, ad Iraq.  Until then, I do not see this war in Syria ending with out a lot more people getting killed by Assad and Russian military forces.  Yes there are rebels and other people fighting in this war as well, but  where are the surface to air missiles that could be taking out Russia and Syrian Fighter Jets?  It  does seem strange that  the forces which are fighting Assad cannot obtain  few stinger or other missiles to use against these Jets that are killing a lot of civilians as well as fighters in this war, especially  in Aleppo.    Just my opinion

Geezer

On 10/16/2016 at 4:06 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

It will be a good day when all the ISIL dogs are chased out of all of the cities in Syria, ad Iraq.  Until then, I do not see this war in Syria ending with out a lot more people getting killed by Assad and Russian military forces.  Yes there are rebels and other people fighting in this war as well, but  where are the surface to air missiles that could be taking out Russia and Syrian Fighter Jets?  It  does seem strange that  the forces which are fighting Assad cannot obtain  few stinger or other missiles to use against these Jets that are killing a lot of civilians as well as fighters in this war, especially  in Aleppo.    Just my opinion

Geezer

Relative to other armaments, the US is rather careful about spreading Stingers around. Same goes for other main weapon suppliers. No one wants these ending up in the wrong hands, and having to explain downed commercial flights. In a similar fashion, intelligence services are usually more alert for information regarding purchase of such weapons by various groups.

Edited by Morch

We should let tolerance and more level hearts prevail. The perpetrators of these acts against humanity need to be rejected on a wholesale basis. Those that support them need to be also shunned and destroyed.

They add nothing to the world.  

Edited by anotheruser