Motorbike registration renewal--the lazy way.

heybruce

For several years I renewed my motorbike registration by going to the garage on Nimmanhamin soi 15.  It cost a little more but was quick and easy.  Unfortunately the garage, like so many other useful places on Nimmanhamin, has been torn down and is being replaced by another unnecessary hotel/condo/whatever.

Are there any other garages where I can get my registration renewed?  The kind of places where I stop by with the book and passport copy, get a quick inspection of the bike, pay the fees then pick up the sticker a few days later?  I'd like to avoid spending a large chuck of the afternoon going to the tax place.  Thanks for any help.

Are there any other garages

I am not a CM expert, but I bet there are a dozen at least.

What you can do, drive to the road where the CM DLT is:

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.766712,99.0054504,3a,75y,55.45h,88.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNbSnlUaRplMqZiMHhhT5FQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Then select from one of the garages that are near the office and show this sign:

(cogwheel is yellow, surrounded by blue, or click the link)

http://www.donslifeinthailand.com/images/Car_Inspection_Service2-crop.jpg

Car_Inspection_Service2-crop.jpg

If you look around the street view (first link) you will see a couple.

If you happen to see the sign near your location go there.

As said in a big city like CM there must be a double digit nr. of them.

Edited by KhunBENQ

What? Renew your registration .. Do you mean buy tax and insurance ?

Get it inspected outside the center 10 mins (at the place with the yellow gear sign), pay your insurance at the booth - 10 mins sitting there and we have a drive-through tax point here, you don't even get off the bike .. Have you been mislead into thinking it's more than it is ? 

Even still, check those places as the above post says.

I use the local transport/tax office....so simple walk in buy road insurance for the bike...2 mins max....go to the next counter hand in your insurance .book for the bike...pay for the tax etc....maybe 5 mins...but usually less....and out you go...never taken me more than 10 minutes in all the years ive been doing it.....no need to be driving around looking for some place to do it...leaving your info etc for a couple of days then going back....In Thailand try and do everything yourself..you can do things usually ok with out your thai wife/girlfriend helping you...or supposed to be helping you..55

I know the process, I've done it before.  I want to avoid the 30 minute drive (if traffic is moving well) each way and the wait in the government offices.  I used the garage on soi 15 because it only took a few minutes and it was open later than the government offices.  I want to find another garage that offers the same service.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

That's the kind of place I'm looking for.  Where is one? 

One on the road to doi saket the 118 is one I know if you are travelling from Chiang Mai it is nearly opposite the Honda dealership . Another one is on the road to Hang Dong just after the intersection where Big C is, again on the opposite side of the road if travelling from Chiang Mai.Sorry I cant be more specific or give you any others but if you have to travel to either of them and don't live in the vicinity of either it would be just as easy to go to the Transport office has already quoted.

12 minutes ago, fcgprg said:

One on the road to doi saket the 118 is one I know if you are travelling from Chiang Mai it is nearly opposite the Honda dealership . Another one is on the road to Hang Dong just after the intersection where Big C is, again on the opposite side of the road if travelling from Chiang Mai.Sorry I cant be more specific or give you any others but if you have to travel to either of them and don't live in the vicinity of either it would be just as easy to go to the Transport office has already quoted.

Thank you.  I was hoping to find someplace close to the center of town, but it's good of you to actually answer the posted question.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Thank you.  I was hoping to find someplace close to the center of town, but it's good of you to actually answer the posted question.

On the 118 road,there are 3 such shops.They are all on the site going from Doi Saket to CMai.

When you come from CMai,take the first Uturn after the San Sai market and there is one on the left.

Look for the sign and the breaktestplace for cars.

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Typical Thai Visa; if I asked where to buy shoes, I'd get a dozen posts telling me it's better to go barefoot.

the time you have spent on here you could of driven the 30 mins to your transport office....plus its a nice day for a drive....have a nice day..

3 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

the time you have spent on here you could of driven the 30 mins to your transport office....plus its a nice day for a drive....have a nice day..

1.  I haven't spent 30 minutes, and I can post when it's convenient.

2.  How much time do you spend posting non-answers to questions?

That is very close to where I work, I'll look into it.  Thanks.

On the 118 road,there are 3 such shops.They are all on the site going from Doi Saket to CMai.
When you come from CMai,take the first Uturn after the San Sai market and there is one on the left.
Look for the sign and the breaktestplace for cars.

I thought I was the only hansum foreign devil who works near there...

As stated in post Nr 2 any of the testing places (blue and yellow signs) will do it for you.

KuhnBENQ says there must be a double digit Nr of them, more like a triple digit.

I use the Caltex station opposite the Holiday Inn.

Nongsangcity - how can it take so little time when the various systems, brakes, exhaust, etc have to be tested first and a certificate showing the vehicle has passed the test is then issued? 

The garage that used to be on Nimman soi 15 did both the testing and the paperwork--I got the bike checked, dropped off the motorbike book and passport copy, paid the money and picked up the motorbike book and new sticker a few days later.  All this happened in the same place, just a few minutes walk from where I live.  A Thai friend showed me that place, she and most of the people using the service were Thai.  It's not just lazy farangs that liked the convenience of that garage.

Now it seems this might have become a two step process--get the bike checked at a testing place (blue and yellow sign) then find an office to do the paper stuff, such as the post office mentioned in post number 14.  I would still find that more convenient that driving to the tax office during government office hours, but prefer to find a one-stop place.  As the title of the post indicates, I want to do this the lazy way.

23 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

As stated in post Nr 2 any of the testing places (blue and yellow signs) will do it for you.

KuhnBENQ says there must be a double digit Nr of them, more like a triple digit.

I use the Caltex station opposite the Holiday Inn.

Nongsangcity - how can it take so little time when the various systems, brakes, exhaust, etc have to be tested first and a certificate showing the vehicle has passed the test is then issued? 

When you write "do it for you", do you mean only the bike testing or the entire process that gets me the new sticker?

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

The garage that used to be on Nimman soi 15 did both the testing and the paperwork--I got the bike checked, dropped off the motorbike book and passport copy, paid the money and picked up the motorbike book and new sticker a few days later.  All this happened in the same place, just a few minutes walk from where I live.  A Thai friend showed me that place, she and most of the people using the service were Thai.  It's not just lazy farangs that liked the convenience of that garage.

Now it seems this might have become a two step process--get the bike checked at a testing place (blue and yellow sign) then find an office to do the paper stuff, such as the post office mentioned in post number 14.  I would still find that more convenient that driving to the tax office during government office hours, but prefer to find a one-stop place.  As the title of the post indicates, I want to do this the lazy way.

The testing for a motobike is only needed when the bike is(I think)5 years old

and for the car when it is 6 years old.Give your book and pay for the insurance and tax and pick it up after 2-3 days,all at the same place.

6 hours ago, dvg said:

The testing for a motobike is only needed when the bike is(I think)5 years old

and for the car when it is 6 years old.Give your book and pay for the insurance and tax and pick it up after 2-3 days,all at the same place.

That's the kind of place I'm looking for, thanks.  I'll start looking for the blue and yellow sign. 

I've had my bike for almost ten years.  I'm not obsessed with having shiny new toys, I like to use things until I wear them out. This has the added advantage of lowering the expectation of a certain type of Thai woman--they assume an old man on an old bike won't be easy money.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 2:02 AM, heybruce said:

That's the kind of place I'm looking for, thanks.  I'll start looking for the blue and yellow sign. 

I've had my bike for almost ten years.  I'm not obsessed with having shiny new toys, I like to use things until I wear them out. This has the added advantage of lowering the expectation of a certain type of Thai woman--they assume an old man on an old bike won't be easy money.

I found a Honda place on Huay Kaew between Maya and The Harbor with the blue and yellow gear sign. I never would have found the place if I hadn't known to look for the sign.  My thanks to KhunBENQ and others.

They did what looked like a quality inspection (the old bike passed) and all the paperwork with no waiting in line.  Total cost 660 baht.  I know it would have been cheaper if I'd driven to the government office, but I'm happy to pay extra for the convenience.