30,000 To Rally On Constitution Day To Demand Election

Jai Dee

If hired motorcycle and taxi drivers are involved, I don't believe in a "seeing is believing" or "just wait and see" attitude. They've shown previously that their involvement is purely for a few hundred baht notes, not political. Their only purpose is to provoke, draw bloodshed and tarnish the Council for National Security and the interim government.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If hired motorcycle and taxi drivers are involved, I don't believe in a "seeing is believing" or "just wait and see" attitude. They've shown previously that their involvement is purely for a few hundred baht notes, not political. Their only purpose is to provoke, draw bloodshed and tarnish the Council for National Security and the interim government.

So, what do you suggest?

Arrest them at their stands before they have actually done something against the law?

So, what do you suggest?

Arrest them at their stands before they have actually done something against the law?

I admit I don't know much about this, but I would assume that the law is broken the moment they get hired, with intention to instigate violence.

So, what do you suggest?

One suggestion?

Let them gather, have them take an easy 5 minute exam on politics, let them fail miserably, send them back to the taxi stands.

I admit I don't know much about this, but I would assume that the law is broken the moment they get hired, with intention to instigate violence.

The problem is that this is very difficult, if not impossible to prove.

The accusation here is based on one newspaper article, and we do know that newspapers at times do get their facts not exactly right. I do not say that this is wrong, but, personally, i have serious doubts that the group led by Chanapat Na Nakhorn has the political clout to pull off such a stunt.

So far, none of their many demonstrations attracted more than 200 or 300 middle class supporters. I wonder how they suddenly could manage to get 30 000 supporters, including hired goons. This is way beyond their organisational skill.

Also, i do not see any indication that what is left of TRT is instigating this sort of trouble at the present time. They could have done so many times in the past two months, but did not.

Personally, unless i see more proof of this, i tend to believe that the phantasy of one reporter and his editor ran wild here.

Edited by ColPyat

Unfortunately demonstrations and policitical rallies packed with hired bodies have been common for a long time in Thailand. One of the rare exceptions was the PAD anti-Thaksin stuff. However, there is not much that can be done to stop people congregating. If the rally is peaceful. that will be good. If it is not peaceful then those causing trouble can be arrested. The PAD managed many peaceful demos so why not this group? One positive thing is that the organizer of the group expelled a member who apparently had Newin's money to hire a mob. Hopefully the organizers will stick to their guns and have nothing to do with these kind of shady manouvers.

Unfortunately demonstrations and policitical rallies packed with hired bodies have been common for a long time in Thailand. One of the rare exceptions was the PAD anti-Thaksin stuff. However, there is not much that can be done to stop people congregating. If the rally is peaceful. that will be good. If it is not peaceful then those causing trouble can be arrested. The PAD managed many peaceful demos so why not this group? One positive thing is that the organizer of the group expelled a member who apparently had Newin's money to hire a mob. Hopefully the organizers will stick to their guns and have nothing to do with these kind of shady manouvers.

I think you are being a bit disingenuous if you don't mind me saying.One of the few positive aspects of the current political crisis is that, before and after the coup, demonstrations have been allowed to take place peacefully, even though strictly speaking illegal under the junta.The forebearance shown by the authorities reflects well on Surayud and , though some will squirm to hear it, under the previous government.More generally it reflects well on Thailand's political maturity despite the setbacks under Thaksin and under this junta.

I think you are being a bit disingenuous if you don't mind me saying.One of the few positive aspects of the current political crisis is that, before and after the coup, demonstrations have been allowed to take place peacefully, even though strictly speaking illegal under the junta.The forebearance shown by the authorities reflects well on Surayud and , though some will squirm to hear it, under the previous government.More generally it reflects well on Thailand's political maturity despite the setbacks under Thaksin and under this junta.

Maybe I didnt word my comment very well. I have nothing against demos at any time actually though they should be peaceful. The PAD rallies, as large unpaid for rallies go, actually were stewarded well and kept relatively free of alcohol by the organisers and this model may be good for other demos as it helps to prevent points of misunderstanding and conflict when organisers arrange stewards. Yes the authorities deserve praise when a demo is held peacefully but the organisers of the peaceful demos also deserve praise.

Maybe I didnt word my comment very well. I have nothing against demos at any time actually though they should be peaceful. The PAD rallies, as large unpaid for rallies go, actually were stewarded well and kept relatively free of alcohol by the organisers and this model may be good for other demos as it helps to prevent points of misunderstanding and conflict when organisers arrange stewards. Yes the authorities deserve praise when a demo is held peacefully but the organisers of the peaceful demos also deserve praise.

I am in 100% agreement.

So, what do you suggest?

the group decided to kick out one of its key figures, Suchai Bunchai, for allegedly receiving more than 10 million baht in funding from former TRT deputy leader Newin Chidchob.

The ideal solution, Tony, is to haul this monkey Newin into police headquarters along with his sidekick Suchai and investigate the allegations. Follow the paper trail and do police work to see if these yoohoos have or have not been hiring goons and thugs to make trouble at the rally.

For a country that is supposedly under such strict martial law that half the forum is in an uproar, the authorities certainly are going about things with kid gloves on and being fairly passive.

As for the rally goes, it's either one of 2 things... it's not been organized by TRT and just because some former-TRT punk called Chanapat says "ooh... we're not involved with the TRT goons".. doesn't necessarily make it true. Anyway, if this Caravan of the Poor reject truly is the organizer, then it turns out to be a dud because only 214 people and 4 dogs show up and people are soon seen yawning and shortly thereafter walking away from the rally....

OR it is a TRT thug thing and several thousand show up to cause the mayhem Thaksin initially wanted for the Sept. PAD rally.

Hopefully, it IS the former and and not the latter, which would no doubt prompt the kind of violence that some profess is all over Bangkok all the time anyway.

Edited by sriracha john

I'm not sure how a group can claim to be democratic when their methods of change are to force their change on others. It would seem, in theory, they would have more success if they were to get involved in the reform process rather than try to put the genie back in the bottle. The coup can't be undone, but the path that is laid out for Thailand democratic future can be put into jeopardy if it is rushed into.

The Democracy Lovers Network did prove one thing. It proved that there are undercurrents of dissent against the current government. If 30,000 people were organized while martial law was in place, then perhaps martial law did keep the peace.

Gee that will be interesting if they decide to go ahead and protest. Remember what happened the last time? The army opened fire.

I doubt that this would happen at the present moment. And i very much doubt that the claimed 30 000 people will appear. It would be a major success for the group if they could attract 1000 participants. Even 500 would more than double the number of participants of their last demonstrations.

Next year though is a different matter.

offer free somtam, and they'll get 100,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o

Newin lodges a complaint against his accuser

Newin Chidchob Sunday filed a police complaint against Chanapat na Nakhon for allegedly accusing him of paying Bt10 million to a political activist to campaign against the Council for National Security (CNS).

Pongthai Juthaket, Newin's lawyer, filed the complaint at Dusit police station against Chanapat, leader of a group called Democracy for the People, which has threatened to stage a mass protest on December 10 against the government and the CNS.

Chanapat denied the charges and said he would surrender to police. He said he was ready to fight the case in court because he had damning evidence that showed how the money was transferred from Newin to protest leaders including Sudchai and leaders of Caravan of the Poor.

He said he would continue with his campaign against the government by mobilising over 30,000 people to Democracy Monument on December 10.

The Nation

:D

Seems like they're asking for it, provocation at it`s best. Thaksin`s minions improvising or still taking orders?

Protest will go ahead: anti-coup group

"Let them talk. I will deal with them my way. I don't want to make any comment at the moment," he said. You'd swear Thaksin said this! :D A lawyer for Newin Chidchob - a former member of the Thaksin Cabinet - yesterday filed a police complaint against an activist who accused Newin of funding the rally.

Meanwhile, Isaan Liberation Front leader Thaikorn Polsuwan suggested a possible return by Thaksin because of a lack of competency and experience in the CNS.

He said the CNS' political analysis was flawed and the body had poor intelligence and advisers on Thai-land's grassroots.

He said Thaksin might attempt to return to power by letting the CNS govern, then claiming public opposition to junta rule and instigating protests by the middle-class and elite. The Thaksin camp could then create political upheaval and a counter-coup, Thaikorn said

In a related development, the September 19 Anti-Coup Network yesterday insisted the mass demonstration against the coup would proceed despite CNS efforts to stop it.

Network leader Assoc Prof Ji Ungpakorn said he would lead the protests at Sanam Luang and Democracy Monument on Sunday. He said the junta had tried to stop the network from protesting. "They release daily threats and reports they have sought negotiations with us.''

Ji said his group was entitled to protest dictatorship and the junta could not stop them. "We announce here that we will not negotiate with any dictators because they have no legitimacy. :DI bet these political chameleons are trying to blend in, crawling around wearing yellow shirts. :D:D:D Their power was acquired undemocratically,'' he said.

He said the conflict was between the public and the junta and not personal.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/04...cs_30020662.php

If Mr. T is still pulling the strings on this, may I suggest a little ''fusion'' cuisine on his next visit to London. I heard the Polonium Pot Pie is arrrroyyy and phet maak maak. :o

R.I.P. Mr. Litvinenko :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

Seems like they're asking for it, provocation at it`s best. Thaksin`s minions improvising or still taking orders?

Protest will go ahead: anti-coup group

"Let them talk. I will deal with them my way. I don't want to make any comment at the moment," he said. You'd swear Thaksin said this! :D A lawyer for Newin Chidchob - a former member of the Thaksin Cabinet - yesterday filed a police complaint against an activist who accused Newin of funding the rally.

Meanwhile, Isaan Liberation Front leader Thaikorn Polsuwan suggested a possible return by Thaksin because of a lack of competency and experience in the CNS.

He said the CNS' political analysis was flawed and the body had poor intelligence and advisers on Thai-land's grassroots.

He said Thaksin might attempt to return to power by letting the CNS govern, then claiming public opposition to junta rule and instigating protests by the middle-class and elite. The Thaksin camp could then create political upheaval and a counter-coup, Thaikorn said

In a related development, the September 19 Anti-Coup Network yesterday insisted the mass demonstration against the coup would proceed despite CNS efforts to stop it.

Network leader Assoc Prof Ji Ungpakorn said he would lead the protests at Sanam Luang and Democracy Monument on Sunday. He said the junta had tried to stop the network from protesting. "They release daily threats and reports they have sought negotiations with us.''

Ji said his group was entitled to protest dictatorship and the junta could not stop them. "We announce here that we will not negotiate with any dictators because they have no legitimacy. :DI bet these political chameleons are trying to blend in, crawling around wearing yellow shirts. :D:D:D Their power was acquired undemocratically,'' he said.

He said the conflict was between the public and the junta and not personal.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/04...cs_30020662.php

If Mr. T is still pulling the strings on this, may I suggest a little ''fusion'' cuisine on his next visit to London. I heard the Polonium Pot Pie is arrrroyyy and phet maak maak. :o

Oh that is soooooo your best post yet!!

Tony, you got a few things wrong here.

I try to keep it simple:

Newin was a Thaksin man.

He filed a case against a protest leader, Chanapat Na Ayutaya. Chanapat has kicked out a man, Suchai Bunchai, from his group who he accused of having taken money from Newin. That is why Newin has filed a defamation case against Chanapat.

Giles Ungpakorn is a famous political scientist, an associate professor at Chulalongkorn University who never was pro Thaksin, which you can find out by reading up on him. Neither is he pro coup.

Both Chanapat and Giles are leaders of the protest, according to the News. Now, how can Thaksin be behind this?

Be careful of the Black Helicopters! :D

perhaps Khun Suriyasai read my earlier post....

CNS urged to query TRT leaders over rally

Newin files charges against accusations

The Campaign for Popular Democracy (CPD) has urged the Council for National Security (CNS) to summon for questioning leading figures in the Thai Rak Thai party accused of providing financial support to the so-called political undercurrents to join an anti-coup demonstration on Dec 10. Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the CPD, said Thai Rak Thai (TRT) heavyweights and former ministers in the deposed Thaksin Shinawatra government accused of pulling the strings behind the undercurrent movements should urgently clarify the matter. If possible, the CNS should summon those accused politicians for questioning. He maintained that his group would not join the planned rally against the government and the CNS at Sanam Luang on Dec 10. The network has turned down an invitation to talk about the current political situation with the coup leaders. Mr Suriyasai voiced disbelief that the planned rally would draw thousands of demonstrators. He urged the CNS to monitor the movements of groups joining the rally to see whether they have been supported by the old power cliques. Democrat party spokesman Ong-art Khampaiboon urged the government to look into claims made by a leading protester that some protesting groups had allegedly been paid by the old power cliques to create chaos. He said the rally would attract a mix of those who wanted to express their views against the coup and those who were just hired to join the rally. Mr Newin's lawyer Pongthai Juthaket said the allegations were untrue. Mr Newin had not been involved in any such movements since the coup, said Mr Pongthai, who distributed copies of a letter written by Mr Newin to clarify the allegations to reporters. In his letter, the leading TRT member said he reported to the coup leaders on Sept 21 that he was willing to cooperate with the CNS to restore the political situation. He agreed to cease his political activities until the new constitution is enforced. He was also ready to clarify any allegations against him if asked by the CNS or the government.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/04Dec2006_news08.php

Supreme Commander ready to handle public rally on the 10th of December

Supreme Commander and member of the Council for National Security (CNS) Gen. Boonsrang Niempradit (บุญสร้าง เนียมประดิษฐ์) has ordered the Armed Forces Security Center (AFSC) to monitor the movement of various groups which intended to hold demonstrations at Sanam Luang on the 10th of December.

Gen.Boonsrang said he did not expect damaging results as long as the gathering is conducted in peace. The AFSC has monitored the movement for quite some time.

However, the Supreme Commander urged every party to stay in unity, be a good citizen and make His Majesty the King rejoice.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 4 December 2006

Tony, you got a few things wrong here.

I try to keep it simple:

:D:D:D That'll be the day

It is very hard for the organisers of rallies to know who will attend. It would be a good idea for the organinisers to have stewards. No doubt the idea of getting a drunken mob to attend the demonstartion has been mooted by some, whether it will actually happen is another matter. From what I hear, at the moment there is little stomach for more demonstrations amongst most people, so hiring a bunch of people from Khlong Toei may actually not be the interests of even the Thaksin supporters. We should also rememeber that on December 10 other groups annually organise rallies. It could get quite confusing as to who is rallying about what.

Democrat leader is confident that no violence will take place at rally on Dec 10

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is confident that the a massive rally for the new Constitution at Sanam Luang on December 10th will not magnify because the security units have relevant information and can identify different groups of people.

Mr. Abhisit said political gathering is one of the basic rights of democracy, and it can be done peacefully. He has also expressed no concern over the possible violence even though there are some reports claiming that the old authority may hire anti-Council for National Security (CNS) and anti-government activists to join the rally. The Democrat Party leader believes the security officials would be able to distinguish the demonstrators on December 10th.

In order to prevent the rally from intensifying, Mr. Abhisit would like the government and the CNS to show their honesty in setting a clear timeframe to return the power back to the public by using the 1997 Constitution as the model for amending the Constitution. He said if the process to amend the constitution is slow, more problems would surface.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 4 December 2006

ACTIVIST'S ALLEGATIONS

Police 'should check funding of rallies'

Claims about Newin need to be probed

Police should investigate the alleged bankrolling of political rallies by former PM's Office Minister Newin Chidchob, Thammasat University law lecturer Surasak Likhasitwatanakul said yesterday.

Surasak was referring to fresh revelations about Newin made over the weekend by activist Thepanom Siriwitayarak.

Thepanom claimed that Newin had financed the anti-coup rally planned for next Sunday and had paid protesters to blockade the office of Kom Chad Luek newspaper, a sister publication of The Nation, back in March.

Newin denied his involvement in the newspaper blockade as well as the upcoming rally.

Surasak said he viewed Thepanom's remarks as new evidence in regard to the Kom Chad Luek rally.

"Police should look into the matter again because Newin has criminal culpability if he is linked to the siege at the newspaper's office," the lecturer said.

Asked to comment again yesterday, Thepanom said he would not backtrack from his remarks and was prepared to defend himself in the courts.

"I opposed the coup and I side with the deposed government, hence I see nothing wrong in admitting to the money paid by ousted leaders," he said.

He said he received a seven-figure payment to organise the anti-coup rally. He also pointed out that his planned rally was not connected with another protest organiser, Chanapat na Nakhon.

Chanapat is a ex-Communist sympathiser and claims to have been paid by remnants of the Thai Rak Thai Party to oppose the coup. Army Chief of Staff General Montri Sangkhasap said he was confident the anti-coup rally would not spiral out of control.

"I am sure everyone is loyal to the country and the King and no one will want to cause trouble," he said, dismissing speculation that ousted leaders could mobilise the crowds to undermine the interim government.

The Nation

ACTIVIST'S ALLEGATIONS

Police 'should check funding of rallies'

Claims about Newin need to be probed

Police should investigate the alleged bankrolling of political rallies by former PM's Office Minister Newin Chidchob, Thammasat University law lecturer Surasak Likhasitwatanakul said yesterday.

Surasak was referring to fresh revelations about Newin made over the weekend by activist Thepanom Siriwitayarak.

Thepanom claimed that Newin had financed the anti-coup rally planned for next Sunday and had paid protesters to blockade the office of Kom Chad Luek newspaper, a sister publication of The Nation, back in March.

Newin denied his involvement in the newspaper blockade as well as the upcoming rally.

Surasak said he viewed Thepanom's remarks as new evidence in regard to the Kom Chad Luek rally.

"Police should look into the matter again because Newin has criminal culpability if he is linked to the siege at the newspaper's office," the lecturer said.

Asked to comment again yesterday, Thepanom said he would not backtrack from his remarks and was prepared to defend himself in the courts.

"I opposed the coup and I side with the deposed government, hence I see nothing wrong in admitting to the money paid by ousted leaders," he said.

He said he received a seven-figure payment to organise the anti-coup rally. He also pointed out that his planned rally was not connected with another protest organiser, Chanapat na Nakhon.

Chanapat is a ex-Communist sympathiser and claims to have been paid by remnants of the Thai Rak Thai Party to oppose the coup. Army Chief of Staff General Montri Sangkhasap said he was confident the anti-coup rally would not spiral out of control.

"I am sure everyone is loyal to the country and the King and no one will want to cause trouble," he said, dismissing speculation that ousted leaders could mobilise the crowds to undermine the interim government.

The Nation

I know people who saw him in the area of the Nation building when the drunken mob threatened to rape every woman in the building. There was also the incident of a fellow Isaan TRT minister threatening to beat Newin up at a meeting for organizing this, which was reported to some deal but was conformed to me by a TRT insider. Of course nobody is going to admit hiring a drunken mob who run around threatening to rape people. It is also hard to trace cash back. It is a shame that the police did not arrest any of the mob at the time, for some rather weak reasons. After this journalists asked not to be on bylines so the government could not intimidate them.

Chanapat is a ex-Communist sympathiser and claims to have been paid by remnants of the Thai Rak Thai Party to oppose the coup.

Lunacy. Absolutely idiotic.

We seem to get back into fabulating brainless conspiracies to rouse the rabble.

I dunno. Thepanom seems to be doing a pretty good job at discrediting the anti-coup movement, even the bits not linked to him or TRT, and he is a self confessed supporter of the previous government. Old Newin must be squirming as Thepanom boldly maintains how money was used and how it will be used and can see nothing wrong with it. If it all led to some very belated action over the Nation building incident that would be a good thing.

Chanapat is a ex-Communist sympathiser and claims to have been paid by remnants of the Thai Rak Thai Party to oppose the coup.

Lunacy. Absolutely idiotic.

We seem to get back into fabulating brainless conspiracies to rouse the rabble.

I dunno. Thepanom seems to be doing a pretty good job at discrediting the anti-coup movement, even the bits not linked to him or TRT, and he is a self confessed supporter of the previous government. Old Newin must be squirming as Thepanom boldly maintains how money was used and how it will be used and can see nothing wrong with it. If it all led to some very belated action over the Nation building incident that would be a good thing.

Chanapats group consists mainly of middle class people who have met in internet discussion forums. Most i believe are somewhat pro TRT, but there are many outspoken Thaksin critics as well. Pictures of the king and singing of the royal anthem are a regular feature of the demonstrations.

If TRT is funding their demonstrations - then TRT must be in dire straights indeed. After they have used a chair and a megaphone as a stage on their first demonstration, they have invested then in a tiny 2x2 meter stage, with a speaker system smaller than even a poor men's village wedding has.

In their Saturday Sanam Luang demonstrations were not more than 200, at most 300 supporters attending, and no "hired thugs" whatsoever. No taxi drivers, motorcycle taxi drivers. There were no free meals, only the usual Sanam Luang foodstalls were food and drink had to be bought.

"Communists" paid by TRT? Not really. :D

The conspiracy theories i can read here and in the media about those demonstrations and groups don't hold up to any reality. So far regular demonstrations have been held by Chanapat's group, and the clearly anti Thaksin social forum, and the equally Thaksin opposing, mostly academic 'Anti 19th September Coup Network'. Only one demonstration drew more than the usual 200 people, that was a march to the Army headquarters at the 18/11, organised by the 19th Sept. network, where, while passing Sanam Luang, most members from Chanapat's group joined. It was then about 500 people. All was very orderly.

I honestly do not understand why such outlandish theories are created with these groups at the center. I don't doubt that there are very shady groups that are/have been affiliated with TRT (and other social forces in Thailand that are not yet debated here in this forum). But so far i have seen no indicator that any of them are out in the open, and especially not allied with these groups planning a protest there.

As if it serves a particular purpose to throw around with baseless accusation and giving that way more attention to a basically symbolic protest... :o