30,000 To Rally On Constitution Day To Demand Election

Jai Dee

Yes, it wouldn't look good for Thaksin if drunken motorbike- taxi drivers and local groups appeared at Sanam Luang on Sunday like they did at the Nation and Prem's residence.

Particularly embarrassing when a reporter from The Nation asked one protestor what The Nation did and she replied, make batteries !(thinking National).

As for the intellectuals who oppose both Thaksin and the coup, what alternative do they propose?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the intellectuals who oppose both Thaksin and the coup, what alternative do they propose?

From what i gathered, most demand immediate restoration of the '97 constitution (which they still feel valid as it was torn up by a military junta, which was, according to them, an illegal act), resignation of the CNS and the present government, and elections as soon as possible.

From what i gathered, most demand immediate restoration of the '97 constitution (which they still feel valid as it was torn up by a military junta, which was, according to them, an illegal act), resignation of the CNS and the present government, and elections as soon as possible.

What's the point in having elections when both TRT and the Democrats are facing court decisions regarding possible dissolution around May next year?

What will be an interesting debate over the next few months is how to make the independent checks and balances really work. The previous Senate was a big disappointment and failure in that respect.

What's the point in having elections when both TRT and the Democrats are facing court decisions regarding possible dissolution around May next year?

What will be an interesting debate over the next few months is how to make the independent checks and balances really work. The previous Senate was a big disappointment and failure in that respect.

I am not a legal expert, so i cannot comment on complex issues such as the legalilities on the possible dissolution of the parties.

Regarding their demands on restoring the '97 constitution they do have a point though, and where we are at talking about legalities - i wonder what law authorised the junta to make a coup.

Personally - i believe that the whole debate here is on very thin ice, as one the one hand there are demands made to treat certain issues according to the letter of the law, while the whole present government, and its existence because of a not exactly legal military takeover is not discussed about. Since the dissolution of the Thaksin cabinet everything here moves in a legal sense on very thin ice, and i wonder where that will lead. One thing i am convinced off is that the mess is far from over, and that the many opposing fractions of Thai society are as far distanced, if not more, than before the coup.

Independent checks and balances?

I really wonder about this point. There always was much talk about it, but in reality there never was independent checks and balances. Under Chuan 2 there definately were more of that than under Thaksin, but it was far from ideal, only a matter of shades of grey. I do not hold my hopes high that this will improve significantly, especially not by an NLA that to a large part only represents the old powers that have never shown any more enthusiasm Thaksin to a western style system of checks and balances.

In the present discussion of "Thai style democracy" you have also some very outlandish views voiced that are clearly aimed at prohibiting large sectors of Thai society from taking part of the political decision making process, such as ideas from some academics to have representatives appointed.

The political scene here moves into increasingly ideological based argumentations. This is very frightening if looking at how Thai society is going to deal with the inevitability of globalisation.

It's easy to see why they have so few people among their ranks.

If they don't have more concrete plans than what has been said, I'm not surprised they could find but a handful of whacky people to attend their rally.

If, on the other hand, TRT-funds are provided for the attendees, then these ranks could swell.

Edited by sriracha john

Chanapat is a ex-Communist sympathiser and claims to have been paid by remnants of the Thai Rak Thai Party to oppose the coup.

Lunacy. Absolutely idiotic.

We seem to get back into fabulating brainless conspiracies to rouse the rabble.

I dunno. Thepanom seems to be doing a pretty good job at discrediting the anti-coup movement, even the bits not linked to him or TRT, and he is a self confessed supporter of the previous government. Old Newin must be squirming as Thepanom boldly maintains how money was used and how it will be used and can see nothing wrong with it. If it all led to some very belated action over the Nation building incident that would be a good thing.

Chanapats group consists mainly of middle class people who have met in internet discussion forums. Most i believe are somewhat pro TRT, but there are many outspoken Thaksin critics as well. Pictures of the king and singing of the royal anthem are a regular feature of the demonstrations.

If TRT is funding their demonstrations - then TRT must be in dire straights indeed. After they have used a chair and a megaphone as a stage on their first demonstration, they have invested then in a tiny 2x2 meter stage, with a speaker system smaller than even a poor men's village wedding has.

In their Saturday Sanam Luang demonstrations were not more than 200, at most 300 supporters attending, and no "hired thugs" whatsoever. No taxi drivers, motorcycle taxi drivers. There were no free meals, only the usual Sanam Luang foodstalls were food and drink had to be bought.

"Communists" paid by TRT? Not really. :D

The conspiracy theories i can read here and in the media about those demonstrations and groups don't hold up to any reality. So far regular demonstrations have been held by Chanapat's group, and the clearly anti Thaksin social forum, and the equally Thaksin opposing, mostly academic 'Anti 19th September Coup Network'. Only one demonstration drew more than the usual 200 people, that was a march to the Army headquarters at the 18/11, organised by the 19th Sept. network, where, while passing Sanam Luang, most members from Chanapat's group joined. It was then about 500 people. All was very orderly.

I honestly do not understand why such outlandish theories are created with these groups at the center. I don't doubt that there are very shady groups that are/have been affiliated with TRT (and other social forces in Thailand that are not yet debated here in this forum). But so far i have seen no indicator that any of them are out in the open, and especially not allied with these groups planning a protest there.

As if it serves a particular purpose to throw around with baseless accusation and giving that way more attention to a basically symbolic protest... :o

I have little comment on the 3 or 4 small anti-coup groups, which of course have the right to have peaceful rallies, and which seem to come from quite complicated political backgrounds. I am more interested in what Thepanom is doing because it does not help TRT or the anti-coup people. Maybe it is just more TRT falling out as he and Newin fight, or maybe it is TRT cadres disagreeing on tactics. All I can say is at least he is dropping Newin in it, which cant be bad.

By the way there will be lots of people rallying around the country on dec 10. There always are on this day, but most wont be connected to any of the said groups and will be rallying for historical reasons.

By the way there will be lots of people rallying around the country on dec 10. There always are on this day, but most wont be connected to any of the said groups and will be rallying for historical reasons.

Lets wait and see what is happening at the 10th. It serves no purpose to speculate wildly on what gangs of hired thugs might appear.

I wonder if these supposedly 30 000 people are celebrating a birthday today and will turn around opposing this same man's approval of the coup on Sunday. :o How quickly many forget or simply don't care when a few hundred baht notes appear out of thin air.

Like the Nation incident (National batteries), Next Sunday ask them first if they celebrated a birthday today, then ask "<deleted> are you doing here then?"

I still have to chuckle when I re-read that little nugget about The Nation/National Batteries that Siripon provided.... :o

It exemplifies so perfectly the caliber of the pro-Thaksin league (or perhaps as the numbers have so quickly dissipated, perhaps a better term would be the Pro-Thaksin squad).

Activist files complaint over funding claims

A political activist filed a police complaint against another activist yesterday for accusing him of receiving Bt10 million from a former minister to campaign against the Council for National Security.

Sudchai Bunchai, a member of the Democracy for the People Network, filed the complaint at Dusit police station against Chanapat na Nakhon.

Sudchai and his lawyer also supplied police with newspaper clippings of Chanapat's allegations and photocopies of Sudchai's bank passbooks.

Chanapat, leader of a group called Democracy for the People, allegedly said recently Sudchai had received money from Newin Chidchob, a former member of Thaksin Shinawatra's deposed government, to stage a rally against the junta on Constitution Day on December 10. On Sunday, Newin's lawyer filed a police complaint against Chanapat accusing him of defamation.

Sudchai, 42, said yesterday he had communicated via the Internet with someone called Te Mu Chin, who proposed himself as the leader of the rally. Later he met Chanapat, who told him that he was Te Mu Chin.

Sudchai said his group found out later that Chanapat was not Te Mu Chin. Chanapat was also found to have a link with certain political parties, which caused Sudchai and his group to withdraw from Chanapat's group, Sudchai said.

"We didn't talk with Chanapat after we withdrew," Sudchai said, adding that Chanapat now was campaigning on his own and had little support from anyone because they suspected he had ulterior motives.

Sudchai said he would hold a press conference today to defend himself.

- The Nation

Gen. Sonthi is not worried of the Dec 10th demonstration

Army Commander-in-Chief and Chairman of the National Security Council, Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkrin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) said he is not too worried about the planned rally scheduled on Dec 10th, while authorities believe that participants in the rally will not inititate any form of violence as this year is considered an auspicious year to the royal monarch.

Gen. Sonthi refused to express his views over the Dec 10th demonstration, and he is confident that violence will not be created. He believes that people will not stir up any violence to worry His Majesty the King.

However, he has assigned all security-related units to closely observe situation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 6 December 2006

Time for government to quell 'activists' paid to stir up trouble

During the previous regime, there were protracted anti-government rallies by pro-democracy demonstrators that posed a menacing threat to the well-entrenched Thaksin Shinawatra, whose CEO-style rule resembled an iron fist in kid gloves.

Among the various means that Thaksin's cronies and underlings used as counter-measures were paid mobs to support the government and harass critics and the pro-democracy crowd with messy criminal charges and expensive libel suits.

There were strong suspicions then, that government-cheering crowds were given daily allowances by politicians to sustain their rallies. At one point they staged a day-long blockade of The Nation complex with a threat of violence.

There was always denial, of course. The suspicion led to the conviction that paid mobs were real. Their background, pattern of behaviour and other factors fit well with the description of organised rallies. Money was the key inspiration instead of conviction or sense of outrage against injustice, or whatever.

Although Thaksin has to endure disgrace and discomfort in exile, there are periodic "undercurrents" of support in the form of Saturday rallies at Sanam Luang, with just a few hundred participants and onlookers. Their battle cry fails to attract even lukewarm public attention due to dubious intent and lack of credibility.

Government authorities and political watchers suspect that the organisers of these rallies must have financial support from some source, most probably politicians who form an inner circle of Thaksin's cronies.

This suspicion would have remained so, had there not been a startling revelation by one "Thepanom Sirivithayaraks", who is a self-confessed organiser of mob rallies with fat pay cheques from politicians and others originating from Thaksin's residence.

"Thepanom" sang like a lark last Friday at a press conference in a Khon Kaen hotel, where he detailed how he had accepted money from politicians to organise street protesters for various purposes, with specific targets assigned.

Each time, the amount of money received ranged from Bt5 million to Bt9 million. He was impressed by the generosity of politicians who needed results. But the money paid was negligible compared with the high stakes for the politicians. These, of course, took the form of wide-ranging opportunities for fast-track enrichment through kickbacks in multi-million baht deals.

It was General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the Army chief, who lamented over the pathetic state of the country. Through various tricks and scheming by crooked politicians and their partners in crime, the nation's assets had been plundered. Over the five years of Thaksin's rule, there was an unprecedented level of corruption.

At one point, Sonthi blurted out that if those politicians still remained in power, they would have eaten everything, leaving only the bones. He was off the mark. If Sonthi and his comrades in arms had not rolled out the battle tanks to oust Thaksin from power, those greedy criminals would have got down to the bone marrow, leaving virtually nothing,

Investigators are still busy unravelling the massive graft cases committed during the Thaksin regime. That's why the cronies of the wealthy politician-in-exile are desperate to protect themselves from criminal prosecution and punishment.

Organised rallies of paid demonstrators -disgruntled rural people now suffering from the removal of populist projects and freebies - are the most promising non-violent option for supporters of the former regime. But the interim government has to provide assistance to those poor souls if it wants to win the psychological war.

At the same time, it might be more difficult for paid mobs to gain support now that Thepanom has spilt the beans and confirmed the public's suspicion that there were indeed demonstrators for hire at the beck and call of politicians.

Life will surely be more miserable for Thaksin and his family members, who face a series of investigations for criminal wrongdoing. Thepanom's confession has made them look worse. They have still not been able to come to terms with the reversal in their political fortune.

It is not only Thepanom who dropped a bombshell over paid mobs. Another rag-tag organiser at Sanam Luang on Saturday had taken Bt10 million from a notorious politician who was close to Thaksin and did some dirty work for him.

The revelations, exposing malicious intent and dubious political objectives, have erased whatever credibility the organisers of rallies still have. They also enable the government and the military to deal with paid demonstrators through various measures, starting with soft talk and moving towards coercive persuasion for them to cease subversive anti-government rallies planned for December 10.

After being on the defensive for two months, General Sonthi and the government are obviously staging an offensive, with more investigations into corruption cases linked to Thaksin and his crowd.

The period of exile could be permanent if the man does not want to face criminal charges back home.

Likewise, the authorities can roll back the "undercurrents" of support now that there is proof beyond reasonable doubt that those menacing protesters have been on the take from politicians. Their claim to be pursuing democracy is just a cry in exchange for money.

The Nation

EDITORIAL by Sopon Onkgara

Lets wait and see what is happening at the 10th. It serves no purpose to speculate wildly on what gangs of hired thugs might appear.

My point here is not about hired gangs of thugs, but that December 10 Constitution Day is a day celebrated every year by certain groups of politically minded people who hold rallies albeit it usually small ones. These groups would rally whether we had had a coup or not. I would not suggest that these people are hired thugs. I would also suggest that their rallies may well have nothing to do with Thaksin or the current government. Not every group having a rally on December 10 will be connected to anti-coup groups. Even in the small town where I live there is a small rally every Dec 10 to celebrate Constitution Day.

Democracy versus Corruption: the latest episode

Both the Angel and the Demon have regained some strength after their near-catastrophic clash over the Kingdom of Thailand in September. The long pause since has only served to mix up their already inseparable appearances.

Now, not only are the World, Heaven and hel_l confused, the two great enemies - known as Democracy and Corruption - are barely aware themselves who they really are.

Who's who now? Which one of them is dying? Which one is getting back its power? Their fiery exchanges, as both brace themselves for yet another showdown, shed no light on these questions and reveal only one thing: this is very far from over.

Corruption: Now, what are you going to do about it?

Democracy: About what?

Corruption: The protest. The rally that people are planning to mark Constitution Day. They are bemoaning your supposed death. They think the tanks have killed you, not me. What will you do about that?

Democracy: Everyone has the right to peaceful assembly as long as ...

Corruption: ... they don't create trouble or threaten national stability. Yeah, I heard that a thousand times before. Coming from your mouth, it is encouraging, though. Now I guess you've seen the merits of martial law, too, huh?

Democracy: If it can prevent your return, I'm not going to shed a tear over the existence of martial law.

Corruption: Well, well, well. A coup has been condoned and now martial law. What's next? Arresting protesters or even shooting them? I knew you would join the dark side; I'm just amazed at the speed of your transformation.

Democracy: Go on, as if I care. For many years you took advantage of my tolerance, of my decency. You kept pushing my limits. You didn't use ballot boxes to do anything good for my name. All you did was hide behind them while chipping away at my very essence. You fouled me first, so don't cry like a baby now that I have fouled you.

Corruption: You never get it, do you? Has it ever occurred to you that all this is one hel_l of a clever scheme to provoke you into destroying your own soul?

Democracy: We've gone through this before. It takes one to kill one. I'll be worried about my soul later. I'll fight the tanks later, if you don't manage to consume them.

Corruption: Well, you'd better start working out now. This world abhors military governments for good reasons. In most parts of the world, they are my best pals.

Democracy: You just said I could be your best secret partner.

Corruption: That's true. Look what's happened in Thailand over the last five years. You may be getting it, dear boy. I exist everywhere. I am the real power, and all the political ideologies are just pretenders, and you are one of them. They think they can rule. They think they can get rid of me. Truth is, I can corrupt them all. I can take any ideology and brand it with my name.

Democracy: You've lost in many countries.

Corruption: Don't believe everything Time magazine tells you. You've won some battles, but you're not going to win this war. You're saying I've been defeated in Thailand, but check out what the world thinks. Nobody really knew what actually happened.

Democracy: You consumed me and left the body when the tanks came.

Corruption: Voila! Congratulations!

Democracy: And now you're set to repossess the tanks.

Corruption: Now you got it. I know you hate "Star Wars" quotes but I can't help it: "Luke, I'm your father." How's that?

Democracy: You can't be real.

Corruption: I'm as real as they come. I've been here since the beginning of time. You are just a dream, an imaginary friend of people outside the corridors of power. Your very essence can't handle reality. You couldn't handle Thaksin Shinawatra. You produced a Constitution that he violated, and then was torn apart by the generals. You can't find your own way of expelling him. You don't even know what to call his supporters. You don't know what to do about the upcoming protest, or with martial law. Now, tell me who's not real.

Democracy: Are you saying Evil is truer than God? I will send you to hel_l, I swear.

Corruption: Don't bother. I'll take you on a tour, because it's where I came from. Now, after all the assets and tax investigations, let's see if you're ready for the next round.

And World, Heaven and hel_l continue to hold their breath...

Editorial Opinion by Tulsathit Taptim - The Nation - 6 December 2006

Chief of staff of RTA urges officials to closely monitor 'undercurrents'

Chief of staff of Royal Thai Army (RTA), Gen. Montri Sangkasub (มนตรี สังขทรัพย์), stated that security-related units have been closely monitoring movements by the undercurrents. Gen Montri said authorities have been investigating into the lead of financial support for movements against the the Council for National Security (CNS) and the government.

Referring to the Dec 10th demonstration at Sanam Luang, he believes that the number of participants will not reach 30,000 as claimed. Gen Montri said that he has been receiving reports of financial aid from various 'influential' figures, a key catalyst to the demonstration.

Gen Montri further added that the Thais in general understand that this year marks the auspicious occasion of Golden Jubilee and that it is not a good idea to create conflicts in the country.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 6 December 2006

There was a quote on page 4 that has been retracted, it was wrongly attributed to Ji Ungpakorn instead of some real lunatic. It was a bit over the top for Ji.

"Network leader Assoc Prof Ji Ungpakorn said he would lead the protests at Sanam Luang and Democracy Monument on Sunday. He said the junta had tried to stop the network from protesting. "They release daily threats and reports they have sought negotiations with us.''

Ji said his group was entitled to protest dictatorship and the junta could not stop them. "We announce here that we will not negotiate with any dictators because they have no legitimacy."

Northeastern protesters opt out of Bangkok rally

Two northeastern activists have agreed not to lead anti-coup protesters into Bangkok next Sunday

Theppanom Siriwithayarak, chairman of the Assembly of Northeastern Farmers, said the decision came after talks with a Council for National Security (CNS) leader. CNS deputy secretary-general and assistant Army commander General Saprang Kalayanamitr has been assigned to mediate with protest leaders.

Saprang yesterday confirmed that Theppanom and Isaan Liberation Front leader Thaikorn Polsuwan had agreed to cancel their rally next Sunday in Bangkok.

Saprang accepted a request for government assistance to rice farmers.

He reaffirmed the junta's promise to hold elections within a year of the September 19 coup.

Both northeastern leaders said they and as many as 300 supporters would still attend Constitution Day celebrations in the capital on December 10.

"I will no longer accept former [government] ministers' money to organise demonstrations to oust the government and the CNS. I have talked to General Saprang now, and he has accepted our requests," he said.

Theppanom admitted he had previously agreed to take money from former ministers and northeastern members of parliament to stage an anti-coup rally.

He denied knowing Chanapat na Nakhon.

Chanapat heads a group calling itself People for Democracy. He claims it will attract 30,000 to the rally at Democracy Monument next Sunday.

- The Nation

Thai Rak Thai linked to most key anti-coup groups

Army watching several groups and various individuals in the lead-up to Sunday's big rally but recent revelations have left a cloud over the event

All eyes are now fixed on Sunday, when a rally at Sanam Luang is expected to take place - "to reclaim democracy" from the Council for National Security.

The momentum of this protest, which has been backed by several activist and vested interest groups, including remnants of the Thai Rak Thai, has been disrupted. So, it is now unclear if the gathering will carry as much political weight as initially appeared likely - or if it will it turn out to be a non-event.

Thepphanom Sirivithayarak and Chanaphat Na Nakhon, two men who have helped lead grassroots movements to support the Thaksin regime, have come out to discredit remnants of Thai Rak Thai for contributing to the "political undercurrents".

Chanaphat revealed that a network of people allegedly received money from Newin Chidchob, one of Thaksin Shinawatra's closest aides, to create political tension for the Surayud government. Newin has hit back with a lawsuit. Other senior Thai Rak Thai members such as Phadung Limcharoenrat, Phutham Wechayachai, Somchai Wongsawat and Thaksin have also felt repurcussions from Chanaphat's tell-all confession.

The December 10 Movement to discredit the military regime looks as though its resolve has been weakened.

Military intelligence officials have been closely following political developments, both open and underground, monitoring groups or individuals they suspect want to hit the Council for National Security and the Surayud government.

A week after the coup, between September 19 and 25, the military intelligence officers identified three groups as playing key roles in bids to undermine the coup makers.

The first group consisted of leftists and non-government-organisation (NGO) activists, who oppose the revered institution. The second group was made up of the Sept 19 Network against the Military Coup and Students' Activity News Centre, led by Chotisak Onsung. The third group included remnants of the Thai Rak Thai Party, plus some pro-democracy activists.

Military intelligence reports have said that these three groups have broadened their allies in the 10 weeks since the coup. The leftists and NGO activists have brought in academics linked to the October 6, 1979 tragedy. They have been attacking the CNS in seminars at various institutions and via their websites.

The leftist and NGO group has reportedly been working closely with former TRT heavyweight Phumtham, since the beginning of this year. It is well-organised, has an ideology and foreign network support. The military is paying closest attention to this group.

The September 19 Network against the Military Coup has been making political moves without mass support. Chulalongkorn University lecturer Ji Ungphakorn has been identified as part of this group in the military report, but Ji told The Nation this week he had nothing to do with it. Remnants of the Thai Rak Thai have sought to infiltrate this group, reportedly in a bid to instigate violence, but this has created conflict among the members.

Former Thai Rak Thai members have diversified into different movements. One of them is linked to Chanaphat, who used to work with well-known socialist Prasert Sapsunthorn. He works closely with Suchart Nakbangsai.

They report to Newin, and there are concerns that members of this group have a tendency to use violence. This has led Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the army chief, to invite Chanaphat for a chat. Chanaphat came away with a promise that he would not lead any political rally. But on November 23, he reversed his stance by declaring that he would hold a rally on December 10.

Another group to watch is a "Club of Saturday lovers, Say No to Dictatorship", which has Vithoon Viphuthalaeng as a key leader. He is reporting to Sitha Thivaree, a key Thai Rak Thai person. Vithoon has separated from Chanaphat due to logistical conflicts.

The final group is called "White Dove 2006 - Reclaiming Democracy", and has Nopharuj Vorachitvuthikul as its leader. He has been worked with the Thaksin regime's network all along. Nopharuj led a rally to support the former PM during his asset concealment case five years ago. He also rallied against the People's Alliance for Democracy, which had moved to oust Thaksin early this year.

Nopharuj has separated himself from Chanaphat. He is now works under an umbrella with Je Tim Bobe, a key canvasser for Sudarat Keyuraphan, one of Thai Rak Thai's key players.

These are the political "subversives" that the Council for National Security is watching closely. Whether they have the capacity to make political waves remains to be seen.

But for now, everybody is watching their steps.

- The Nation

=====================================================================

Anti-coup activists argue over who loves democracy the most

Two organisers of the anti-coup rally planned for next Sunday have slung mud at each other, with accusations of political bribery triggering a legal feud over claims of being the foremost advocate of democracy.

In the latest twist in the legal wrangling, activist Sudchai Bunchai yesterday filed a police complaint charging fellow activist Chanapat na Nakhon with libel in regard his claim of having Bt10-million to fund the rally.

"Chanapat is trying to tarnish my reputation after he was ostracised by other democracy advocates," Sudchai said.

The complaint was the second filed against Chanapat. Former PM's Office Minister Newin Chidchob petitioned on Monday for a police investigation into alleged defamation stemming from an interview given by Chanapat on Saturday.

In the interview, Chanapat claimed Newin had hired Sudchai to organise the anti-coup rally. He also asserted that his People's Group for Democracy was the true pro-democracy movement and he the real organiser of the rally.

He came out to attack Sudchai after the latter exposed him as an activist for hire who organises protests for the highest political bidder.

Two weeks after the September 19 seizure of power, Sudchai and Chanapat jointly formed an anti-coup coalition called the Saturday Opposition Group against the Coup.

This became the springboard for the People's Group for Democracy, which Chanapat later took control of by forcing Sudchai's departure. In retaliation, Sudchai kicked Chanapat out of the Saturday Opposition Group against the Coup.

Both groups have claimed the lead role in organising the upcoming rally.

Asked to comment on the allegations against him, Chanapat said he would not file counter charges, but instead use the opportunity to prove his dedication to the fight for democracy.

He was speaking during his awareness campaign encouraging public participation in the rally.

He distributed some 1,300 leaflets in Siam Square urging people to demand a speedy restoration of democracy.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Seems like they're asking for it, provocation at it`s best. Thaksin`s minions improvising or still taking orders?

Protest will go ahead: anti-coup group

"Let them talk. I will deal with them my way. I don't want to make any comment at the moment," he said. You'd swear Thaksin said this! :D A lawyer for Newin Chidchob - a former member of the Thaksin Cabinet - yesterday filed a police complaint against an activist who accused Newin of funding the rally.

Meanwhile, Isaan Liberation Front leader Thaikorn Polsuwan suggested a possible return by Thaksin because of a lack of competency and experience in the CNS.

He said the CNS' political analysis was flawed and the body had poor intelligence and advisers on Thai-land's grassroots.

He said Thaksin might attempt to return to power by letting the CNS govern, then claiming public opposition to junta rule and instigating protests by the middle-class and elite. The Thaksin camp could then create political upheaval and a counter-coup, Thaikorn said

In a related development, the September 19 Anti-Coup Network yesterday insisted the mass demonstration against the coup would proceed despite CNS efforts to stop it.

Network leader Assoc Prof Ji Ungpakorn said he would lead the protests at Sanam Luang and Democracy Monument on Sunday. He said the junta had tried to stop the network from protesting. "They release daily threats and reports they have sought negotiations with us.''

Ji said his group was entitled to protest dictatorship and the junta could not stop them. "We announce here that we will not negotiate with any dictators because they have no legitimacy. :DI bet these political chameleons are trying to blend in, crawling around wearing yellow shirts. :D:D:D Their power was acquired undemocratically,'' he said.

He said the conflict was between the public and the junta and not personal.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/04...cs_30020662.php

If Mr. T is still pulling the strings on this, may I suggest a little ''fusion'' cuisine on his next visit to London. I heard the Polonium Pot Pie is arrrroyyy and phet maak maak. :o

R.I.P. Mr. Litvinenko :D

If Mr. T is still pulling the strings on this, may I suggest a little ''fusion'' cuisine on his next visit to London. I heard the Polonium Pot Pie is arrrroyyy and phet maak maak. :D

R.I.P. Mr. Litvinenko :D

Tony, you got a few things wrong here.

I try to keep it simple:

Newin was a Thaksin man.

He filed a case against a protest leader, Chanapat Na Ayutaya. Chanapat has kicked out a man, Suchai Bunchai, from his group who he accused of having taken money from Newin. That is why Newin has filed a defamation case against Chanapat.

Giles Ungpakorn is a famous political scientist, an associate professor at Chulalongkorn University who never was pro Thaksin, which you can find out by reading up on him. Neither is he pro coup.

Both Chanapat and Giles are leaders of the protest, according to the News. Now, how can Thaksin be behind this?

Be careful of the Black Helicopters! :D

I try to keep it simple.

Newin is still a Thaksin man, his head so far up his a55 you can't tell which is which.

There are always smaller remoras swimming around sharks, looking for a free ride, no matter if the shark is heading for deep sea or the nearest sewer discharge, it's all about the free ride which in this case is money...

Why is Newin allowed to finance these people and still walk around anyway?

I have more than a hard time to believe the content of the nation report, and the alleged military intelligence investigation results.

Anybody who is informed about the different groups knows that the so called group of "leftists and NGOs" had a huge split more than one and a half months ago that rendered them more or less ineffectual. The 'foreign support' network is nothing else than a few NGOs and idealistic leftists that are inconsequential.

This group is not in any way a danger to the coup leaders or the government, it does not even openly campaign against the coup, but on a platform of leftist policies.

The Sept. 19 network mainly consists of idealistic students from Thammasat and Chula. Their meetings in Thammasat never had more than a few dozen, at most 100 attandents. I have a hard time to believe that "TRT" remnants would even bother to "infitrate" this group as the leaders are anti TRT. There were TRT supporters in the small group of attendents, but none of consequence.

Giles Ungkaporn indeed has nothing to do with this group on any organisational level, he doesn't even attend their meetings anymore since the first one.

Chanapat's group is the only group that consists of mostly TRT supporters. But it is a group of people who have met internet discussion boards.

The rest are tiny groups with only a dozen or so members.

I am truly shocked how these groups can be given so much attention. However one may stand towards Thaksin, or the coup - reality is that these groups do not pose any danger whatsoever. Tendency towards violence?????? These groups do not consist of hired thugs, motorcycle taxi drivers or such. They are all middle class - students, businessmen, employees, even mothers and their children. These are not the "undercurrents".

Why can such an article be released?

Why is such paranoia spread?

:o

The Army prepares Plan 149 to deal with upcoming Dec 10 rally

The Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army has instructed the implementation of Plan Pathaphi (ปฐพี) 149 to handle rallies on December 10.

Army Commander in Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratklin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน ), in his capacity as Chairman of the Council for National Security, said that a mass rally scheduled for December 10 was not worrying. Gen Sonthi believes that no chaos will occur during the gathering as can be observed from the past few days when Thais have displayed their patriotism, peace-loving nature, and reverence to the monarchy. The General calls on all parties to adhere to His Majesty the King's royal counsel.

Gen Sonthi reports that security forces will be keeping peace during the rally and that authorities will implement the Pathaphi 149 Plan in handling any situations. The plan is the same one used during the protests by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

The General added that authorities cannot force the public to take a certain course of action, and that it was up to the people to decide on their own behavior.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 7 December 2006

Interior Minister denied putting political activists from the North, on blacklist

Interior Minister Aree Wong-araya (อารีย์ วงศ์อารยะ) denied that the ministry has blacklisted some political activists in the North, saying that it was just a misunderstanding. The ministry has never done such thing and it has not blocked anyone from joining the December 10th rally against the government. There is nothing to be worried about as demonstrations are deemed not unlawful.

In response to news that the Department of Local Administration has sent a letter to warn the Local Government Offices (LGOs)of the activists in their area, he said the letter aims to acknowledge LGOs of the demonstration, not to instruct them to keep an eye on anyone. Mr Aree also said he had no idea whether the letter would have any effect on the rally. Mr Aree declined to answer the question whether the December 10th demonstration would escalate like the one which took place on October 14, 1973.

However, he affirmed that the ministry will promulgate His Majesty the King’s speech regarding peace. He said all Thais should know how to bring about love and peace to the society.

Supreme Commander reminds officials one's duty to the country

Supreme Commander Gen. Boonsrang Niempradit (บุญสร้าง เนียมประดิษฐ์) has requested all units to do their utmost for the country. He said that at the moment, the drafting of the new Constitution is set as priority therefore in the meantime, soldiers must do their utmost to protect the country.

As for the Dec 10th demonstration, Gen. Boonsrang has instructed units to stay calm. He said the intelligence group will look into the demonstration's 'behind-the-scene' factors.

It is interesting watching how the current government deals with potential demonstrations.

They seem fully aware that the only large scale demonstrations that can be organized without paying demonstartors are those organized by the middle classes maybe in conjunction with labor groups and some groups of urban workers and pro-democracy activists. This is basically how the PAD rallies happened. At the moment it seems clear that these groupings are not going to organize anything. That leaves December 10 in the position where either rallies of well well less than 30,000 occur that are peaceful and that consist of unpaid demonstrators exercising their right to demonstrate. However, after the 30,000 claim these will look weak and ineffectual. Another alternative is that thousands of paid demonstrators get shipped in and the demos look big. However, the government has effectively gotten out the meme that any large rally is only large because people were paid, so again the demos are undermined. This is also if they remain peaceful. If they do not the scene is already set for believable accusations that the ex-ruling party bankrolled a bunch of thugs to cause problems at the time the current administration were striving for national unity.

Whatever ones view on the demos, the government have certainly played the media game and build up to demonstrations extremely well. This also makes for an interesting comparison with how the Thaksin regime handled the PAD demonstrations. Admittedly that the PAD demonstartors were not paid made it more difficult for Mr. Thaksin to label them negatively. However, he did repeatedly label them as a mob. This was though undermined by heavy handed tactics of his own supporters against smaller gatherings of the PAD particularly in the early days. It is unlikely that the current government will make this mistake. Mr. Thaksin and his ministers also often made sure venues were booked for other groups (particularly outsid of Bangkok), so the location of demonstrations had to be changed often creating confusion. The current government have not done this. The Thaksin government also ordered provincial governors on threat of job loss to stop people travelling to the rallies. Road blocks were set up by the police that turned back large numbers of PAD supporters. To some degree the current administration may use some form of roadblocks too although governors have not been ordered to stop travellers and indeed someone from the interior ministry said it would not try to stop people from travelling, so even if there is some asction here it will not be on the scale of that seen against the PAD. Organized mobs were also used to attack gatherings of PAD and other opposition supporters both in and outside of Bangkok. To date coup opponents have been left unmolested. Then Mr. Thaksin and some of his ministers repeatedly talked about states of emergency being declared to stop people from demonstrating, which at the time General Sonthi kept saying were unneccesary. There is curently no talk of states of emergency and indeed martial law has been relaxed.

It seems that while the current administration is playing a canny and intelligent if hardball game in the media aimed at reducing the size of rallies and discrediting them, the current government has not really gone anywhere near the extremes of the previous government in terms of obstruction, threats and violence. Hopefully this will continue.

Trad Governor: No activity to support December 10th rally found in the province

In response to rumors regarding a group of people from Trad Province taking part in the coming Dec 10 rally, Trat Governor Boonchuay Kerdsukhon (บุญช่วย เกิดสุคนธ์) said that he has yet heard of anybody getting involved in the anti-coup demonstration. He said however, the province has instructed district chiefs and community leaders to inform the residents of the current political situation therefore to create better understanding and persuade them to act in accordance to His Majesty the King’s speech on unity and peace.

Regarding the four bordering districts and two sub-districts in Trad which is still under the martial law, the governor said it has not affected people’s daily life as it can be seen in thr blooming sector of the province, especially in Koh Chang.

There is curently no talk of states of emergency and indeed martial law has been relaxed.

There is hardly a need to declare a state of emergency as martial law supercedes it slightly.

Do you have a link that Thaksin has actually threatened to declare a state of emergency as a reaction of the PAD demonstrations, or was it just what the opponents have accused him off, similar to the fabulation of the "Finland declaration"?

Anyhow, what you call a "playing a canny and intelligent if hardball game in the media aimed at reducing the size of rallies and discrediting them" i feel is extremely worrying. The accusations against the opposition groups are completely out of any proportion, and partly pure fabrication.

Pot calling the cattle black?

It is interesting watching how the current government deals with potential demonstrations.

They seem fully aware that the only large scale demonstrations that can be organized without paying demonstartors are those organized by the middle classes maybe in conjunction with labor groups and some groups of urban workers and pro-democracy activists. This is basically how the PAD rallies happened. At the moment it seems clear that these groupings are not going to organize anything. That leaves December 10 in the position where either rallies of well well less than 30,000 occur that are peaceful and that consist of unpaid demonstrators exercising their right to demonstrate. However, after the 30,000 claim these will look weak and ineffectual. Another alternative is that thousands of paid demonstrators get shipped in and the demos look big. However, the government has effectively gotten out the meme that any large rally is only large because people were paid, so again the demos are undermined. This is also if they remain peaceful. If they do not the scene is already set for believable accusations that the ex-ruling party bankrolled a bunch of thugs to cause problems at the time the current administration were striving for national unity.

Whatever ones view on the demos, the government have certainly played the media game and build up to demonstrations extremely well. This also makes for an interesting comparison with how the Thaksin regime handled the PAD demonstrations. Admittedly that the PAD demonstartors were not paid made it more difficult for Mr. Thaksin to label them negatively. However, he did repeatedly label them as a mob. This was though undermined by heavy handed tactics of his own supporters against smaller gatherings of the PAD particularly in the early days. It is unlikely that the current government will make this mistake. Mr. Thaksin and his ministers also often made sure venues were booked for other groups (particularly outsid of Bangkok), so the location of demonstrations had to be changed often creating confusion. The current government have not done this. The Thaksin government also ordered provincial governors on threat of job loss to stop people travelling to the rallies. Road blocks were set up by the police that turned back large numbers of PAD supporters. To some degree the current administration may use some form of roadblocks too although governors have not been ordered to stop travellers and indeed someone from the interior ministry said it would not try to stop people from travelling, so even if there is some asction here it will not be on the scale of that seen against the PAD. Organized mobs were also used to attack gatherings of PAD and other opposition supporters both in and outside of Bangkok. To date coup opponents have been left unmolested. Then Mr. Thaksin and some of his ministers repeatedly talked about states of emergency being declared to stop people from demonstrating, which at the time General Sonthi kept saying were unneccesary. There is curently no talk of states of emergency and indeed martial law has been relaxed.

It seems that while the current administration is playing a canny and intelligent if hardball game in the media aimed at reducing the size of rallies and discrediting them, the current government has not really gone anywhere near the extremes of the previous government in terms of obstruction, threats and violence. Hopefully this will continue.

An excellent review and summation of the differences between Thaksin and the current government. The methods of dealing with rallies are as different as night and day. That's encouraging because Thaksin's complete mishandling of the situation accelerated his downfall and ultimate ouster.

As stated, the planned rallies for Dec. 10 are actually a lose-lose situation for the organizers, whether the rallies are as large as oddly proclaimed or as tiny as realistically expected. Time will tell which "lose" situation they'll fall under.

Excellent post. Well done.

:o

Gen. Boonsrang requests time for the govt to prove its work

Supreme Commander Gen. Boonsrang Niempradit (บุญสร้าง เนียมประดิษฐ์) has requested time for the government to prove its work. He has also called for the Dec 10 rally to be suspended.

He has requested cooperation from people and various sectors for a time frame so that the government can prove itself and live up to the people's promise. He said that authorities are working very hard to douse the southern flames, draft the new Constitution, and create harmony in the country. He has affirmed that all of the government's work is aimed at creating harmony in the country.

He said that people are allowed to express their views over various national matters but should do so after the action has taken place.