Renewing Road Tax outside Province

GiantFan

Road tax due early next year.  Currently registered in Ubon w/ Ubon tags.  In my GF's name.  Prefer not to drive all the way back to inspect / renew.  

She says I can inspect / renew in Phuket with blue book and signed copies of her ID / house papers, which I have.  

All seems too easy.  Lived here too long not to think I am missing something.  

Any ideas?

46 minutes ago, GiantFan said:

Gracias.  In the past, I let the authorized company down the road sort it out.  Gave them the doc's and vehicle and they did it all.  Car was in my name at the time.  Will check with them to see if still possible.  Much easier.

Agree, I do the same. It is immaterial in who's name the car is.

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, you can renew in Phuket. No need for ID or house paper. Just registration book, proof of insurance, inspection certificate if vehicle over 5 (bike) or 7(car) years. Might be a different desk, just ask when you get the wait ticket at the front desk.

Wot he said. Its one of the few systems on computer that seems to work- a shame the immigration Dept can't learn from it!

I did mine in a small licencing office 50km outside Chiang Mai a bout 6 years ago- if they can centralise computer databases  others could too. I can remember way back when people had to track back to their 'home' provinces to renew.

On 18/10/2016 at 11:32 PM, Psimbo said:

Wot he said. Its one of the few systems on computer that seems to work- a shame the immigration Dept can't learn from it!

I did mine in a small licencing office 50km outside Chiang Mai a bout 6 years ago- if they can centralise computer databases  others could too. I can remember way back when people had to track back to their 'home' provinces to renew.

The immigration don't use that system coz it only envoles foreigners an not their own people. So they don't care if they make it difficult for us.  ??

You can renew tax & insurance anywhere regardless of where the vehicle is registered. Its usually best to let one of the many 'authorised garages' (signified by the yellow gear cog sign) do it all (for around 100B fee), to save you going to the vehicle licensing office yourself.

What they won't do (for a foreigner) without a lot of fuss is change the owners address in the blue/green book and if you change the owner (Sell/buy the vehicle) where there are 2 different provinces involved, you might have to re-register (new number) at the province where the new owner is located. But for simple annual  tax / test / insurance  renewal - any office/ garage will do it.