Minimum wage to rise by 5Bt-10Bt in 69 Thai provinces

webfact

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It's 1.6% to 3.3%

Remember it's an increase since 2012 or about 4 years ago. That works out to an annual average increase of 0.4%-0.8%. Compare that to civil service pay raises of 5% in 2014 and 2015.

But it's not so much as a minimum wage increase is the only factor to a healthy labor workforce. Other major problems of the Thai workforce are according to a Suan Dusit Poll of Suan Dusit University conducted from a random survey of the opinions of 1,070 Thai labourers during April 25-30, 2016 (for example):

• insufficient labour protection and welfare (78.5%)
  • ability to  develop their skills to become skilled workers (74.7%)
  • unfair treatment and taken advantage by their employers (79%)
  • high cost of living (77.6%)
  • indebtedness (82.2% combined with low and insufficient wages)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914069-thai-labourers-complain-of-low-wages-indebtedness-and-unfair-treatment/

If all the government does is a nominal minimum wage increase it's not fully addressing the complex economic needs of the labor force that is essentially operating under a fuedal business system.

5 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

Actually I didn’t think about Malaysia and it says The Minimum Wages Order 2016 that came into effect last July  is RM1,000 per month for Peninsular Malaysia, and RM920 for Sabah, Sarawak and Labuan. That is still only $240 US per month. I also forgot about Vietnam where they also have a great work ethic and much greater willingness to learn English than in Thailand. Vietnam's minimum wage is only  between $107 to  $256.

If you look at the following graph the initial jump back in 2012 seemed to happen too quickly compared with neighbouring countries and stands out like a sore thumb.

thailand-minimum-wages.png

Be reasonable with the scale on that y-axis. The increase was large, but no reason to exaggerate it like that.

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Workers led by the Thai Labour Solidarity Committee called for a minimum wage of 360 baht. Currently 90% of workers are  supporting at least one other person that has no income.

http://www.samuitimes.com/workers-in-thailand-seek-minimum-wage-of-360-baht/

If inflation keeps creeping upward, wonder if we'll see worker protests or strikes in 2017? Especially if elections are delayed beyond 2017.

It's a "government" of the elites, by the elites, for the elites, ... 

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

If what you say is true about the Chinese then why do many fabrication contracts in O&G have a 'No Chinese Material' stipulation.

Many of the Thai welders I've known have been well skilled and most of the QC operators are Thai and do as good a job as any.

Then why is everything made in Thailand such  a lousy quality? And also double price of China?

I wanted to buy a small pulley today, 6mm bore. 250 baht, i showed them the Banggood.com website (free shipping) where it costs 70 baht, oh china no good she said. Yeah right, at least it's better than made in Thailand but far from the German quality of course.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Then why is everything made in Thailand such  a lousy quality? And also double price of China?

I wanted to buy a small pulley today, 6mm bore. 250 baht, i showed them the Banggood.com website (free shipping) where it costs 70 baht, oh china no good she said. Yeah right, at least it's better than made in Thailand but far from the German quality of course.

German quality started going south after the wall came down where cheap supplies of cheap materials from China are used to make items stamped 'Made in Germany'.

Sad situation really. My car is 42 years old and after the work being done now will most likely still be around after another 20/30/40 years and it isn't Chinese.

Do you know which country supplies wheels to one of the major F1 racing teams?

Save you a google, Thailand.

However, back on topic, pay rises spread totally over the nation may be good or bad, the bad being factory owners cutting staff numbers and increasing workloads to maintain their own income etc. The end result will be something we will have to wait for.

No comment

What kind of post is that? Your not being interrogated by the police. And someone liked it as well.

Come up with an opinion. Example, Wow, such a small increase is an insult to the poor people. Or, if they raise the minimum wage then some companies will be forced to cut back on staff as they can't afford to pay their workers.
There, there, simple isn't it. Think, type, post.

Cheers.

51 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

What kind of post is that? Your not being interrogated by the police. And someone liked it as well.

Come up with an opinion. Example, Wow, such a small increase is an insult to the poor people. Or, if they raise the minimum wage then some companies will be forced to cut back on staff as they can't afford to pay their workers.
There, there, simple isn't it. Think, type, post.

Cheers.

Yes, it is very simple. I thought, typed and posted.

That was my opinion. 

Cheers

15 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

This is a really difficult one for the government because even though people need higher incomes to grapple ever increasing prices, Thailand’s competitors are way behind . I distinctly remember the Prime Minister in one of his televised speeches to the nation warning people here they shouldn't expect significant increases because Thais are already being paid well above workers in neighbouring countries.

Cambodia is still at $140 a month, Laos is at $111 a month  and Myanmar is only $67 a month.

This is the goal of the globalists, to eliminate governments and borders and to create a global economy based upon the lowest common denominator relative to minimum wage and the highest common denominator relative to the profits of the .10% who run the multi-national corporations.