Address issue for DL

new2here

Hi,

I hold a 5-year (my second 5-year license) and it's going to expire in the middle of December on my birthday.. So, I thought I'd get it renewed now while my university is on break..  I have my passport, and of course my current 5-year DL's (car and motorcycle).. and my work permit.

I understand that in lieu of a residence certificate from Immigration or (for US nationals) a letter from the US Embassy, that my valid work permit will meet this requirement..

Here's my first question..  On my work permit, it lists the university street address - not my actual house/home address.. My DL lists my house address which is what I gave them when I first applied years back.. As related background, when I do my 90-day reports, I give Immigration my house address, despite my WP showing university address (yes, I know Labour and Immigration are unrelated entities - but this is just for illustrative purposes).. So, only my work permit shows my employers address.  When I go to Land Transport, will this be an issue?  If so, what is/are my remedies?

Question #2..  My work permit expires on Oct 31 (my yearly university contract runs from Nov1 to Oct31) and the universities HR office set an appointment for my renewal (I go to Labour, but someone from the HR office goes with me to do all the talking) next week -- the 26th or 27th -- so right now, it looks like the WP will expire in about 2 weeks or less -- is this an issue for Land Transport? or is it just that it has to be valid on that one day of application alone?

Helpful answers appreciated!

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find Land Transport will require a Resident Cert or letter from Consulate, as proof of address. 

From the LT's own website it does directly say that a WP can be used in place of a residence certificate or Embassy letter.. but.. is this one of those cases where reality differs from theory?

I plan to use the office on Suk 62 (or the one near there - don't recall the actual soi #) if that matters

2 minutes ago, new2here said:

From the LT's own website it does directly say that a WP can be used in place of a residence certificate or Embassy letter.. but.. is this one of those cases where reality differs from theory?

I plan to use the office on Suk 62 (or the one near there - don't recall the actual soi #) if that matters

That is probably the case, but you mentioned that WP address is not the address on your current licence, so you must have used something else last time. All DLTs are different, you probably wont know until you get there.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Or WP or yellow house book.

Yes, you are correct. But like immigration offices, they all seem to have local requirements. I went to one at Samut Sahkon and they would only accept letter from consulate and they wanted license (home) translated into thai.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, you are correct. But like immigration offices, they all seem to have local requirements. I went to one at Samut Sahkon and they would only accept letter from consulate and they wanted license (home) translated into thai.

So did you try there with a work permit, which this topic is about?

On top, you're talking about the first issue of a DL, based on having a home licence, whereas the OP is talking about renewal of an existing 5 year DL.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So did you try there with a work permit, which this topic is about?

On top, you're talking about the first issue of a DL, based on having a home licence, whereas the OP is talking about renewal of an existing 5 year DL.

The particular DLT required the same paperwork for a new license or a renewal (WP or Resident cert was not acceptable, only a letter from consulate). I printed out rules from the DLT website etc, they wouldnt change their mind. It was just near were I was living and I ended up going into BKK for initial license and renewals. Op will probably have no problem with WP.

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The particular DLT required the same paperwork for a new license or a renewal (WP or Resident cert was not acceptable, only a letter from consulate). I printed out rules from the DLT website etc, they wouldnt change their mind. It was just near were I was living and I ended up going into BKK for initial license and renewals. Op will probably have no problem with WP.

That is the first time I have heard of a DLT not accepting workpermit and certificate of address from immigration. DELETED

Just thought I'd close this out with what happened to me.

Went to the Area 3 office (near Sukhumvit 63) today at about 13:30.

For being a Tuesday after a long holiday weekend, it was rather empty... no real crowds (or they had already come and gone).

The information desk staffer gave me a single form as told me to write my name and phone number. While I was doing that he quickly went thru my paperwork copies.

I had: my passport with new extension of stay (valid to October 2017); work permit valid only until October 2016 and both Thai licenses.

I had copies of all three items as well.

I was sent to the first line for paperwork verification/check, data entry and renewal packet prep.

The lady doing the paperwork verification accepted my work permit - no issues - and even noted by circling, the date that it expires (next week)..

After the paperwork was done, I did the peripheral sight test, color blindness, depth perception and reflex tests. I was then shown into the video room- which was already more than halfway finished.

After, paperwork was double checks, photo taken, fee paid and licenses printed.

In all, it took me about 2hrs from end to end.

I did ask specially about the work permit and was told that yes, it IS accepted in lieu of; 1) an Immigration-produced residence certificate, or 2) an Embassy letter.. and the WP only needs to be valid on the day I apply.

As far as the address being different (my old DLs had my old address, my work permit shows my university office address) goes.. she said that if I used the WP as the residence proof, then she had to use the address shown in the WP. If I wanted a different address, then either an Immigration Residence Certificate or Embassy letter would be required.

All in all, a painless and not all that time consuming event.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived