Foreign tourism unaffected by recent events, says ministry

webfact

5 hours ago, emilymat said:

The dilemma for the Thai's is that, on the one hand they want to believe the whole world is in mourning, whereas the reality is they know it isn't - hence tourism is unlikely to be hit as 'the event' was covered on the day it happened and then quietly forgotten.  

I'm in the UK at present so I know the fact above is true. It's in no way meant to be disrespectful, just a mirror of the reality of an insular society believing otherwise.

Yes.  Thais are not stupid but they are living under a very stern "government", or whatever you want to call the current military coup system.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't see many Aussie football fans flying in to watch next month's World Cup qualifier against Thailand when they read about all the things that are banned by the Thai FA.

Crowd participation can make or break a sporting event but the restrictions to be imposed will mean absolutely no atmosphere.

It's such a negative outlook I doubt it will rate a thread here. 

9 hours ago, Orac said:

Quite a few of us have invested here and many more were concerned (or hoping for) a significant drop in the exchange rate when events unfolded. At present it seems that our worst fears have not materialised though it is still early days.

Your 'no one cares' and 'good luck to them' rings hollow with me and, although I could easily make my future elsewhere, I hope that Thailand can find its way through this difficult time which would be the best result for me and my family and, I would think, many others.

You are a good man and very brave. Personally I do not agree with the current government which is merely army personal. I would never invest my money with these characters. I have better odds at the horse races  Condos are empty. Economy is not so good. I can see no law reforms. Therefore I are not happy  to invest in a what can I take now set up. They were to be a temporary situation although the mock Charter has allowed them to prosper on a long term basis. There was never any reconciliation with professional politicians. No I dislike cheers.

Edited by performance
Spell check

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes.  Thais are not stupid but they are living under a very stern "government", or whatever you want to call the current military coup system.

I believe he used the word, "insular" not "stupid" and I would find it hard to argue that Thais are not insular.  This is the same reason why you will get asked 1000 times whether you like Thailand, Thai food, and Thai culture, yet rarely will you ever be asked about anything pertaining to where you come from (which also explains why Thais have very little understanding of anything beyond the borders of their country).  

Thais think people know something about Thailand.  It simply never dawns on them that most people don't.  Even many expats forget this.  

The rest of the world sees a story on page seven of their local newspaper that says that everyone is mourning and wearing black for a year and people say, "Well, guess Thailand's off the list of vacations spots for me next year."  They don't hang out on expat forums to get the latest scoop on which bars are serving beer and which ones are closed.  Those couple of paragraphs in the newspaper are all the information about Thailand that they'll consume since they're off booking a flight to Vietnam instead.  

So they say that 24.28 million tourists came in the first 6 months of this year and expect the full year target of 32 million to be met.  This would mean just 8 million tourists will arrivie in the second half of the year, although they say, as expected,  that recent events will not affect Teflon Thailand's tourism.  Something wrong with the figures surely, although nobody will be surprised at that!

Always a possibility of course that it is just bad reporting in English?

12 hours ago, CeeGee said:

I think that the immediate effect will be very little, as the majority of tourists(from Europe) booked their holidays some months ago.They will come because the financial penalties of cancelling would be too high.Where I think we will see the drop is when they are thinking of where to go next year.(Traditionally the holiday booking season starts just after Christmas)

Thailand is a winter destination for Europeans and the booking season is from the end of the summer holidays and this event has occurred right at the time many Europeans are booking their winter holidays, therefore I would expect a drop in bookings from that market, particularly from younger travellers.

19 hours ago, performance said:

obviously Sharpen up son.

Right, I've sharpened up! :cheesy:

You mean that The Ministry figures are always 100% correct, and that 24.28 million people  have already been here in the first 6 months of this year (Where? I never saw them! Oh, they were all on tour buses in Pattaya, or went up to Esan to discover the real Thailand!), and the full year target of 32 million will be met by a mere 8 million tourists during the second half of the year. So, in spite of "recent events", the ever decreasing low exchange rate to the British Pound, the bombings in Bangkok and other parts of the country, the numerous vicious attacks on tourists by Thai  thugs/"bouncers", this has not affected tourism in ANY way, and if anything has actually been more than the original forecast, as the second half of the year should only need about half the numbers to achieve the forecasted annual figure.

Oh, I feel  really sharp now! :cheesy:

Edited by sambum
Grammar

58 minutes ago, sambum said:

Right, I've sharpened up! :cheesy:

You mean that The Ministry figures are always 100% correct, and that 24.28 million people  have already been here in the first 6 months of this year (Where? I never saw them! Oh, they were all on tour buses in Pattaya, or went up to Esan to discover the real Thailand!), and the full year target of 32 million will be met by a mere 8 million tourists during the second half of the year. So, in spite of "recent events", the ever decreasing low exchange rate to the British Pound, the bombings in Bangkok and other parts of the country, the numerous vicious attacks on tourists by Thai  thugs/"bouncers", this has not affected tourism in ANY way, and if anything has actually been more than the original forecast, as the second half of the year should only need about half the numbers to achieve the forecasted annual figure.

Oh, I feel  really sharp now! :cheesy:

Yes your as sharp as the best knife on Alixpress now. Basically I believe what u see and here direct from the Thais closing doors. There numbers are false and outrageous news casts. They have very little falang. It's all China. They love that. BIG seizures and pocket money. 

5 hours ago, performance said:

Yes your as sharp as the best knife on Alixpress now. Basically I believe what u see and here direct from the Thais closing doors. There numbers are false and outrageous news casts. They have very little falang. It's all China. They love that. BIG seizures and pocket money. 

I think we've been singing from the same hymn sheet all along - you just didn't get the intended sarcasm implied with the :cheesy: on my first post!

Me and mrs kaen,just got back from Koh Chang.Business as usual.Bars have music,and you can hear it out on the street,but not so loud.Great amount of Back packers,seeking Nirvana and a lush bag of green,on the island,
White sands very busy. Lady boy bars have a good many customers,so, not much has changed.Got given a black bow ribbon at a bar while we waited for the bus to take us to our hotel,which was buzzing all week.

Sent from my roof top,using semaphore .