May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

Please to see British steel getting good news from Tata!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/12/07/tata-unions-edge-towards-port-talbot-rescue-deal/amp/?client=safari

I hope Tata also manage to a deal with Thyssen Krupp and really dominate special steels. This is just the sort of area where we have the opportunity to do well! 

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

At l least you read it! However, not the key conclusions I drew. We will always have the poor but blue colour workers at the big problem

9 hours ago, jpinx said:

"blue colour workers" ????  you need to ease up on the Sangria over there.

He might be indirectly referring to the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band's rendition of the song "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites" from the album The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse.

• Like 2

The EU's secret weapon?

Nigel Farage’s tunnel vision about the European Union will not change. And, since being patted on the head by Donald Trump, he sees himself more and more as a statesman, a key player in shaping the destiny of Europe. It is highly unlikely that he will stop seeking to interfere in the elections to come on the Continent. But if that actually leads to results such as the one in Austria, those who do not want to see the far right gain power may well ask themselves, “What’s not to like?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nigel-farage-norbert-hofer-austria-far-right-arron-banks-european-union-a7461396.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

He might be indirectly referring to the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band's rendition of the song "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites" from the album The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse.

I doubt it. We all make mistakes and its unfair to 'call out' the poster for this mistake.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The EU's secret weapon?

Nigel Farage’s tunnel vision about the European Union will not change. And, since being patted on the head by Donald Trump, he sees himself more and more as a statesman, a key player in shaping the destiny of Europe. It is highly unlikely that he will stop seeking to interfere in the elections to come on the Continent. But if that actually leads to results such as the one in Austria, those who do not want to see the far right gain power may well ask themselves, “What’s not to like?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nigel-farage-norbert-hofer-austria-far-right-arron-banks-european-union-a7461396.html

UKIP (and Farage) eventually forced a referendum on EU membership - as it had become clear that ignoring the issue wasn't working.

Farage then resigned, placing himself in a similar bracket to Cameron IMO - albeit there is a difference insofar as Cameron couldn't pursue a policy with which he couldn't whole-heartedly support, and Farage was looking for an important role in the negotiations?

Meanwhile, little has changed, apart from UK newspaper articles saying that there will be an MPs vote in the next few days?

Edit - My mistake (and I PROMISE that I only read this when after posting this) I gather MPs have agreed that article 50 will be invoked?

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I doubt it. We all make mistakes and its unfair to 'call out' the poster for this mistake.

It wasn't a mistake. It was an ironic pun on blue in the face blue collar workers or the middle class as the American's persistently misname them. ?

Humerous retorts though!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

UKIP (and Farage) eventually forced a referendum on EU membership - as it had become clear that ignoring the issue wasn't working.

Farage then resigned, placing himself in a similar bracket to Cameron IMO - albeit there is a difference insofar as Cameron couldn't pursue a policy with which he couldn't whole-heartedly support, and Farage was looking for an important role in the negotiations?

Meanwhile, little has changed, apart from UK newspaper articles saying that there will be an MPs vote in the next few days?

Edit - My mistake (and I PROMISE that I only read this when after posting this) I gather MPs have agreed that article 50 will be invoked?

I am obviously missing something, but I fail to see the relationship between your comments and the vote in Austria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38258976

Conservatives win Sleaford by election, with UKIP second.

Using the same logic that was being argued by some in the discussions about the Richmond by election, this is a ringing endorsment of the government's brexit policy, and UKIP is now the Opposition party :biggrin:.

Not necessarily - it was a strong, Conservative seat before hand and voted heavily for leave in the referendum so hardly a surprising result.

The interesting bit would be the change in share of the vote where both the Tories and UKIP having a smaller share than the previous election with over a 2% drop in support and the LibDems gaining over a 5% increase from the previous result.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Orac said:

Not necessarily - it was a strong, Conservative seat before hand and voted heavily for leave in the referendum so hardly a surprising result.

The interesting bit would be the change in share of the vote where both the Tories and UKIP having a smaller share than the previous election with over a 2% drop in support and the LibDems gaining over a 5% increase from the previous result.

It was a joke. But congratulations for being the first poster to put a serious spin on the result :thumbsup:.

• Like 1

Apologies - when you brought it up I thought you wanted to discuss the result.

Personally I was quite pleased with the result particularly seeing the far-right UKIP candidate get such a poor response given they threw the kitchen sink at it and claimed they had a chance of winning.

• Like 1

UKIP went for and achieved second place.

They were claiming they had a chance of winning it and put up an ex National Front candidate who got a smaller percentage of the vote than they did in 2015.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Let me kindly assist you across the road. Sleaford is the type of constituency where all the candidates begin to resemble Alan Partridge.

10 minutes ago, evadgib said:

They voted out which is OK by me :)

A-ha! Hello Alan.

Potential new legal challenge in Irish High Court.

However what was curious is the claim notification as already been given. The UK government sees the referendum as the decision and following T May conference speech she told D Tusk in October the UK is leaving the UK. 

Is there a requirement for the intention to withdraw to be in written form

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

However what was curious is the claim notification as already been given. The UK government sees the referendum as the decision and following T May conference speech she told D Tusk in October the UK is leaving the UK. 

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, can find something that can somehow be interpreted to that effect. But they're not trying so stop brexit. Oh no. They're only interested in seeing due legal process being followed. :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, can find something that can somehow be interpreted to that effect. But they're not trying so stop brexit. Oh no. They're only interested in seeing due legal process being followed. :coffee1:

June 26th Eu confirms written notification not required , a statement would be sufficient.

The European council has confirmed that notification does not have to be in writing, but could be in the form of a formal statement to the summit – so Cameron had better be careful about what exactly he says. '

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/who-will-dare-pull-trigger-article-50-eu

Oct 20th 

On arrival, Mrs May said: "The UK is leaving the EU, but we will continue to play a full role until we leave and we will be a strong and dependable partner after we have left."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/theresa-may-to-hold-talks-with-jean-claude-juncker-after-series/

If the government is correct about the royal prerogative then the clock might be ticking

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

June 26th Eu confirms written notification not required , a statement would be sufficient.

The European council has confirmed that notification does not have to be in writing, but could be in the form of a formal statement to the summit – so Cameron had better be careful about what exactly he says. '

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/who-will-dare-pull-trigger-article-50-eu

Oct 20th 

On arrival, Mrs May said: "The UK is leaving the EU, but we will continue to play a full role until we leave and we will be a strong and dependable partner after we have left."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/theresa-may-to-hold-talks-with-jean-claude-juncker-after-series/

If the government is correct about the royal prerogative then the clock might be ticking

The government's clock stopped the moment the High Court deliberated.

Plans to allow British nationals to retain their EU citizenship after Brexit are to form part of the European parliament’s negotiating position. The “associate citizenship” status, plans for which were first revealed in The Times, would give those who adopt it the right to freedom of movement and residence throughout the EU as well as the right to vote for a representative in the European parliament.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britons-will-be-offered-chance-to-keep-their-eu-citizenship-m6zrjsk29

Merry Brexit Christmas to you all!......

15380761_10154309513475817_2678714740545296260_n.jpg

Did you vote to leave? Then why not rejoice in the fallout this winter with the brand new... 

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL BREXIT CHRISTMAS!!!

...an incredible double CD compilation packed with all of your festive Brexit favourites, including…

1. The Cameronards – Don't Leave Me This Way
2. Nigel the Red Nosed Racist 
3. Silent Night, Corbynite
4. Farage Against The Machine – Grinning In The Name Of 
5. The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Gove
6. Driving Home For Brexit (can't look them in their faces)
7. So This Is Brexit, And What Have You Done?
8. On The First Day Of Brexit (we sunk our currency)
9. I'm Dreaming Of A Far Right Christmas 
10. Article 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Johnson And Farfunkel
11. Freedom Of Movement Clause Is Coming To Town
12. Last Christmas (you can afford) – Wham! 
13. Trump They Sold Me (pa rum pum pum pum)
14. Do They Know It's Brexit?
15. I Saw Mommy Kissing Goodbye To A Strong Pound Sterling
16. Theresa May in a Manger (no clue for ahead)
17. Boris You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?
18. Do You Fear What I Fear?
19. Mary’s Boy Child (is being deported)
20. I Still Haven’t Found Out What I’m Voting For – U2?
21. Oh Come All Ye Hateful
22. Skinter Wonderland 
23. Rocking Around The Christmas Theresa 
24. Baby It's Cold Outside (the EU)
25. Brexit's Like That (and that's the way it is) - RUIN DMC
26. Mistletoe And Wining Won't Change A <deleted> Thing
27. Hark! The Right Wing Papers Sing
28. We Wished You A Very Shit Mess 
29. What's The Story, Lying Tory?
30. It's The Most Wonderful Crime Of The Year

OUT NOW! ONLY €12.99 or £48.76!

Edited by Loeilad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Plans to allow British nationals to retain their EU citizenship after Brexit are to form part of the European parliament’s negotiating position. The “associate citizenship” status, plans for which were first revealed in The Times, would give those who adopt it the right to freedom of movement and residence throughout the EU as well as the right to vote for a representative in the European parliament.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britons-will-be-offered-chance-to-keep-their-eu-citizenship-m6zrjsk29

This would blow HMG's 'No new agreements since 1981'  out of the water re frozen pensions therefore bring it on :)

• Like 1