May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

12 hours ago, baansgr said:

Reciprocal agreements are in place for a reason, thats understandable 

It is all about cost, which brought reciprocal agreements to an end. Brexit will only aggravate the position, certainly not improve it.

BRIEFING PAPER Number CBP-01457, 13 April 2017

The UK State Pension is payable overseas only uprated annually if the individual is resident in an EEA country or one with which the UK has a reciprocal social security agreement requiring this. UK pensioners in other countries – most notably Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa – have their pension frozen i.e. paid at the same rate as it was when they first became entitled, or the date they left the UK if they were already pensioners then. The policy of not awarding increases in some countries overseas has been followed by successive governments and continued with the introduction of the new State Pension on 6 April 2016. Essentially, the reason is cost and the desire to focus constrained resources on pensioners living in the UK.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjRjKDMk-XXAhWJuo8KHUjDDxkQFgiBATAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fresearchbriefings.files.parliament.uk%2Fdocuments%2FSN01457%2FSN01457.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1fABe6S_6P2ny0v46rJW4B

The brexit effect, to be determined.

BRIEFING PAPER Number CBP-07894, 8 November 2017

A parliamentary written answer from January 2017 said that “the reciprocal rights and entitlements that will apply following the UK’s exit are subject to the wider negotiation on our future relationship with the EU.” (PQ HL 4944). The UK Government’s offer for EU citizens in the UK and UK nationals in the EU on their rights and status after the UK leaves the EU published on 26 June 2017 said: 7. In relation to benefits, pensions, healthcare, economic and other rights, in the expectation that these rights will be reciprocated by EU member states, the Government intends that: […] • the UK will continue to export and uprate the UK State Pension within the EU; • the UK will continue to aggregate periods of relevant insurance, work or residence within the EU accrued before exit to help meet the entitlement conditions for UK contributory benefits and State Pension, even where entitlement to these rights may be exercised after exit

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjRjKDMk-XXAhWJuo8KHUjDDxkQFgiHATAR&url=http%3A%2F%2Fresearchbriefings.files.parliament.uk%2Fdocuments%2FCBP-7894%2FCBP-7894.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0CYCInMn9oh1H5N4lAIL-7

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

According to brexiteers, workers have no need of the ECJ.

A European court ruling in favour of a gig economy worker who never got a paid holiday in 13 years has been declared an example of how Brexit would be “a disaster for workers’ rights”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-workers-rights-european-court-of-justice-ruling-conley-king-ecj-gig-economy-eu-a8082801.html

When I was working as an independent contractor for 10 years I never go a paid holiday either. Not only that but when I was between jobs I was not paid anything at all.

quote from the Independent " The salesman worked for The Sash Window Workshop on a commission-only contract from 1999 until he reached the age of 65 in October 2012."

He must have known at the time of signing the contract what the terms and conditions were. In the jobs that I was employed directly by any company I worked for all this was laid out for me at the interview before I took the job.

If I didn't like the offer I was free to refuse it though it meant that I would not get the job. This guy most probably would have known and understood that at the job interview. I can't comment directly as I was not at the interview.

Also in my entire 50 year working life I was never in any union and the only time I asked for union help was over a matter of health and safety. I was working for the Home Office on police telecommunications and asked if steel toe cap shoes or boots could be made available to technicians on request. The HO said no so I talked to the local union rep who brought it up at a higher level and it was granted.

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I was working as an independent contractor for 10 years I never go a paid holiday either. Not only that but when I was between jobs I was not paid anything at all.

quote from the Independent " The salesman worked for The Sash Window Workshop on a commission-only contract from 1999 until he reached the age of 65 in October 2012."

He must have known at the time of signing the contract what the terms and conditions were. In the jobs that I was employed directly by any company I worked for all this was laid out for me at the interview before I took the job.

If I didn't like the offer I was free to refuse it though it meant that I would not get the job. This guy most probably would have known and understood that at the job interview. I can't comment directly as I was not at the interview.

Also in my entire 50 year working life I was never in any union and the only time I asked for union help was over a matter of health and safety. I was working for the Home Office on police telecommunications and asked if steel toe cap shoes or boots could be made available to technicians on request. The HO said no so I talked to the local union rep who brought it up at a higher level and it was granted.

So you gave up your human rights?

Fine, but do not expect others to do so too. But then again, I guess this is what the UK model is all about.

19th century. Only slightly ahead of muslim thinking. Very uneuropean.

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

"If I didn't like the offer I was free to refuse it though it meant that I would not get the job."  Say no more.:smile:

I think the main point here is that the worker was effectively an employee of the company.  It is a rule to protect an employee from exploitation.  As you say, there is a choice of sorts, but not really!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

"If I didn't like the offer I was free to refuse it though it meant that I would not get the job."  Say no more.:smile:

I think the main point here is that the worker was effectively an employee of the company.  It is a rule to protect an employee from exploitation.  As you say, there is a choice of sorts, but not really!

This started for him 18 years ago and not last year or the year before this one.

That was the same year that I quit my safe company job with all it perks and went self employed contract working. I was 55 years old at the time and it was my choice.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

So you gave up your human rights?

Fine, but do not expect others to do so too. But then again, I guess this is what the UK model is all about.

19th century. Only slightly ahead of muslim thinking. Very uneuropean.

Temporary/zero hours/'self-employed' contracts have become ever more prevalent in the UK over the last couple of decades, and the EU has done little to stop this trend.

But to be fair, the EU has made it harder for companies in this respect.

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

I'm going back to bed

Best place for those who are politically asleep. If you want I'll come over and tell you a bed time story about Princess Theresa and how she saved the Kingdom of United. In June of this year Baron Grouse said she would no longer be a Princess in 6 weeks and here we are almost 6 months later and she continues to wield Excalibur. As a result the Baron has been doing a lot of star gazing recently and has a new lean on those nasty Brexiters.

romance-dating-astronomy-stars-star_gazer-star_gazing-astronomer-78630078_low.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aright said:

Best place for those who are politically asleep. If you want I'll come over and tell you a bed time story about Princess Theresa and how she saved the Kingdom of United. In June of this year Baron Grouse said she would no longer be a Princess in 6 weeks and here we are almost 6 months later and she continues to wield Excalibur. As a result the Baron has been doing a lot of star gazing recently and has a new lean on those nasty Brexiters.

romance-dating-astronomy-stars-star_gazer-star_gazing-astronomer-78630078_low.jpg

I know I have posted this before but it does fit well with your post:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

This started for him 18 years ago and not last year or the year before this one.

That was the same year that I quit my safe company job with all it perks and went self employed contract working. I was 55 years old at the time and it was my choice.

Yes, I see your point but the scenario we are talking about is as follows: in order for Joe Bloggs to get work from a company, or others perhaps, he must agree to devote his working week to them.  He won't be employed any other way and he is not on a special wage, perhaps the opposite.  Here, the company is merely exploiting employment laws to avoid holiday pay and tax obligations.  The length of time is also crucial, as anyone working for one company week in week out, year in year out, is effectively an employee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

You are probably right Bill in that he knew the T & C's, but how many would be aware if a contract is flawed and depriving them of certain entitlements.

I won't mention frozen pensions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Basil B said:

More difficult to export and imports cheaper so another nail in the coffin of British producers. 

Sterling is roughly at it's right level now. It's going to fluctuate a little on good or bad news. The point Aright was making is that remainers were whinging about the drop in value of Sterling, because it was one of the few effects of the brexit vote that they had to whinge about, but they say nothing when Sterling goes up. The dire economic forecasts have turned out to be fake. And now all the whinging about how badly the negotiations are going is starting to look silly. No doubt they'll bang on about the compo fee now, even though they were the ones who always said we had to pay it. And they always said the yearly sub (currently £B10.9 nett) was peanuts and great value for money. So I'm sure they'll agree that 4 -5 years subs for a good trade agreement AND to be rid of the EU's shackles is fantastic vfm.

9 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Yes, I suspect their only interest is how many baht they get to the pound to spend down soi 6.

You need to address your remarks to the forum's remainers: they're the ones who are always whinging about the exchange rate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aright said:

Morning!

The pound rose on the news that the hard Brexiters look weakened and the possibility of a soft Brexit including remaining in the customs union has surged ahead. 

Happy now?

Where's my pipe?

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

More difficult to export and imports cheaper so another nail in the coffin of British producers. 

Where does it talk  about exports and imports in the article I quoted. Stay on topic.......pathetic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Temporary/zero hours/'self-employed' contracts have become ever more prevalent in the UK over the last couple of decades, and the EU has done little to stop this trend.

But to be fair, the EU has made it harder for companies in this respect.

Haha! But you still blame the EU rather than the UK government?

They don't have such Dickensian contracts in the rest of Europe now do they?

I think 2 weeks holiday is still the norm in the USA.

Anyway Brexit turkeys, Christmas is nearly here! Don't tell me the UK government have promised you free heating ? ?

4 hours ago, aright said:

OK Merlin, very clever. You do realise that the princess has no clothes and her Excalibur is plastic?