May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

2 hours ago, Orac said:

There would be a need for three external tariffs ready to roll on our exit, one for a 'no trade deal' scenario, a second, flexible one,based on the ongoing negotiations and a third for use under a transitional arrangement which would probably be a mirror of the customs union rates.

Though there is the promise of quick trade deals with other countries this would be extremely difficult if not impossible to negotiate until our final, totally out of the EU wether or not a trade deal is in place, profile is in place since there is little point negotiating with a partner who has not even established a starting position for trade talks.

On the assumption that we are leaving the EU Single Market, the sooner we can get our new profile in place, the better for sorting out our trading position with the rest of the world and moving towards the future whatever it may hold.

There is a bit more to it than that, for some idea of the complexity have a look at the WTO download facility

http://tariffdata.wto.org/ReportersAndProducts.aspx

22 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Good, in-depth analysis of how WTO tariffs would work for both the UK and the EU:

http://www.civitas.org.uk/reports_articles/potential-post-brexit-tariff-costs-for-eu-uk-trade/

The tariffs applied by the EU for 2015 can be seen here. http://stat.wto.org/TariffProfiles/E28_e.htm

As tariffs vary from country to country the figures quoted are 'average' and 'maximum'. Any estimates can only be based on the breakdown of exports and imports remaining unchanged and that the UK tariff profile will be a mirror image of the EU. At this point in time the UK is not a country within the EU profile so there are no actual rates available so it is all a bit of a guesstimate and we know how reliable they are.

26 minutes ago, shanesox said:

No! Completely different. There are those who WANT European government. Success would destroy their fantasies!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Success does come into it, the UK has been split down the middle and effectively beyond repair. TM's 'best deal' is nothing more than a damage limitation exercise.

I have been fortunate enough to have lived through the best years in UK history just a bit sad they have come to an end.

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The tariffs applied by the EU for 2015 can be seen here. http://stat.wto.org/TariffProfiles/E28_e.htm

As tariffs vary from country to country the figures quoted are 'average' and 'maximum'. Any estimates can only be based on the breakdown of exports and imports remaining unchanged and that the UK tariff profile will be a mirror image of the EU. At this point in time the UK is not a country within the EU profile so there are no actual rates available so it is all a bit of a guesstimate and we know how reliable they are.

The report sets out it's limitations but is a very good indicator of what the trade tariffs will be and how they will impact.

9 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The UK is getting along just fine. Other than people arguing in pubs and on message boards, and the odd protest, it's business as usual.

Everyone has their own interpretation of 'business as usual', all depends on the parameters applied to 'usual'.

A twenty percent spread would mean the pound is performing as 'usual'. 

14 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The report sets out it's limitations but is a very good indicator of what the trade tariffs will be and how they will impact.

Its not the tariffs per se, its the problems surrounding tariff collection. We have been there before and obviously selective memory is taking precedence.

51 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Its not the tariffs per se, its the problems surrounding tariff collection. We have been there before and obviously selective memory is taking precedence.

In view of the fact that it would be a two way street, so long as the UK played a careful game, the worst case scenario would be a nett no tariffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Success does come into it, the UK has been split down the middle and effectively beyond repair. TM's 'best deal' is nothing more than a damage limitation exercise.

I have been fortunate enough to have lived through the best years in UK history just a bit sad they have come to an end.

Not split down the middle, 52% / 48%.

Had we ignored the result and stayed in, 52% would be getting a deal they do not want instead of 48%.

As I have said many times, it's democracy at work. If you do not like it, live somewhere else like North Korea where democracy does not exist.

Having lived through rationing after WW2, the growth years of the 50s, the bust years of the 70s, the boom years of the 80s, the bust years of the Brown destroyer and now potentially one of the best boom periods ever, one fact emerges.

Despite Gordon Browns claims to have finished boom and bust forever, ups and downs are a fact of economics that will never change. You just have to make the most of whatever comes along.

Stop whining and get on with your life. Brexit is a fact you cannot change and the majority of the UK wanted it.

• Like 2

Not split down the middle, 52% / 48%.

Had we ignored the result and stayed in, 52% would be getting a deal they do not want instead of 48%.

As I have said many times, it's democracy at work. If you do not like it, live somewhere else like North Korea where democracy does not exist.

Having lived through rationing after WW2, the growth years of the 50s, the bust years of the 70s, the boom years of the 80s, the bust years of the Brown destroyer and now potentially one of the best boom periods ever, one fact emerges.

Despite Gordon Browns claims to have finished boom and bust forever, ups and downs are a fact of economics that will never change. You just have to make the most of whatever comes along.

Stop whining and get on with your life. Brexit is a fact you cannot change and the majority of the UK wanted it.

The majority of us do live in a country where democracy doesn't exist. Or are you just sad enough to be commenting on a Thai forum and actually don't live here.

9 hours ago, Flustered said:

Very interesting reading.

What a shame it will be wasted on the remainers who refuse to see past their noses and still want the Brussels ideal of a one size fits all Europe.

Another shame is that only time will tell that Brexit was the best thing to happen since England beat Germany in the world cup (long before most of the remainers were even born I dare say).

I also see that despite certain financial giants on the forum saying the pound was doomed to sink further, it has risen quiet well over the last few days since Article 50 was triggered.

Living in the past of how many years ago? Dear me, Planet Football Brexiteering . (Probably thinks the ball crossed the line for the third goal as well). Grouse will be shocked indeed.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Living in the past of how many years ago? Dear me, Planet Football Brexiteering . (Probably thinks the ball crossed the line for the third goal as well). Grouse will be shocked indeed.

One day we may have a constructive post from you instead of insults and baiting.

You do yourself no favours.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2016 at 2:30 PM, Grouse said:

We just had one thread shut down because it was hijacked by stupidity. This thread will have sensible discussion of the actual issues. If you can't contribute sensibly, please leave us alone. Thank you.

When YOU are a moderator maybe so until then pipedown

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

"He will nowww!":smile:

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, evadgib said:

This puts it in a nutshell. Well done, best post this year.

22.2864° N, 114.1491° E  this could have been made with you in mind. 555

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Flustered said:

This puts it in a nutshell. Well done, best post this year.

22.2864° N, 114.1491° E  this could have been made with you in mind. 555

One wonders whether all the forum Brexiteers are like that grumpy old git in the video. Its one long chips on shoulder lament. What a misery. Anyway, looking forward to a break from the Land of Smiles next month for a little perambulating in the Mid Levels of HK.

Edited by SheungWan

22 hours ago, Khun Han said:

In view of the fact that it would be a two way street, so long as the UK played a careful game, the worst case scenario would be a nett no tariffs.

You keep missing the point, the real problem has nothing to do with who will be better off, although everyone will lose out through increased prices. It is all about the paperwork, it was a deterrent to exporting in the past and it will come back to haunt.

Looks like the new system that was supposed to reduce some of the hassle has run into problems.

"But the Prime Minister also said that she wanted a “completely new customs agreement” with the EU in order to prevent a return to costly “rules of origin checks” on UK goods sent to the continent, our largest single export market."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-confidence-uk-customs-system-collapse-a7660461.html

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

One wonders whether all the forum Brexiteers are like that grumpy old git in the video. Its one long chips on shoulder lament. What a misery. Anyway, looking forward to a break from the Land of Smiles next month for a little perambulating in the Mid Levels of HK.

If I were you I would be more worried about the latest Hong Kong immigration clamp down. Or perhaps it would work in our favour if they kept you there.

"Hong Kong to clamp down on non Thai tourists coming to Hong Kong from Thailand."

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/press/pressreleases.html

32 minutes ago, Flustered said:

If I were you I would be more worried about the latest Hong Kong immigration clamp down. Or perhaps it would work in our favour if they kept you there.

"Hong Kong to clamp down on non Thai tourists coming to Hong Kong from Thailand."

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/press/pressreleases.html

Yes. Its April 1. HK Immigration much simpler than Thailand. Tourist entry 180 days. More people should visit. Its further than Singapore from Thailand but far more interesting IMHO. If I stayed longer in HK it wouldn't be too much of a punishment.

Edited by SheungWan

[/url]  

Old Brits who live in the U.K. must be some of the most miserable guys I have ever met. Not surprised that most Brits as soon is they can afford it get TFO. Unfortunately for these poor folk on the video only Brexit is left to cheer their sorry lives.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You keep missing the point, the real problem has nothing to do with who will be better off, although everyone will lose out through increased prices. It is all about the paperwork, it was a deterrent to exporting in the past and it will come back to haunt.

Looks like the new system that was supposed to reduce some of the hassle has run into problems.

"But the Prime Minister also said that she wanted a “completely new customs agreement” with the EU in order to prevent a return to costly “rules of origin checks” on UK goods sent to the continent, our largest single export market."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-confidence-uk-customs-system-collapse-a7660461.html

I'm not missing the point, and you are comparing two entirely different eras. If you think that Germany is going to stop selling cars to us because of a bit of (online) paperwork, you are mistaken.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I'm not missing the point, and you are comparing two entirely different eras. If you think that Germany is going to stop selling cars to us because of a bit of (online) paperwork, you are mistaken.

Outside the USA the UK is BMW,s biggest importer of cars,we are also Italy,s biggest export market for wine :thumbsup:

59 minutes ago, petermik said:

Outside the USA the UK is BMW,s biggest importer of cars,we are also Italy,s biggest export market for wine :thumbsup:

But dont drink n drive hicccccc

16 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Selective memory again, I have mentioned this point several times and always referred to small business. As usual it will be the small fish that lose out.

Era has nothing to do with it. In a free trade arrangement export product grouping is purely statistical, once tax has to be collected it becomes a completely different ball game.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Selective memory again, I have mentioned this point several times and always referred to small business. As usual it will be the small fish that lose out.

Era has nothing to do with it. In a free trade arrangement export product grouping is purely statistical, once tax has to be collected it becomes a completely different ball game.

Sorry Sandy, I don't catalogue your posts. Anyway, it's become obvious you were just raising a red herring on this particular issue.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Although they voted to remain looks like Gibraltar has been flustered, should they accept the will of the Spanish in accordance with the will of the English.

If you think anything's going to change for Gibraltar you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 1