May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

6 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Yeah yeah that is why they U-turned as soon as they realised they were paying a significant political price. They are so arrogant they thought they were immune to any crap, just spout strong and stable 1000 times and all would be OK. May is a coward, she hasn't even got the balls to appear in a debate and is sending her guard dog to battle. Is this the leader that is going to deliver the best deal for the country?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So who would your choice be to deliver the best deal for the country, Jeremy Corbyn, Tim Farron or maybe Paul Nuttall, these are the choices?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Seems unlikely as presumably the vast majority of posters are retirees living in Thailand, and consequently very interested in exchange rates?

I'm not retired. How very dare you ?

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

UK inflation was on the rise before end 2016. I suppose you expected it to stay at zero forever? Or negative? Really good for the economy that! 

What ARE you on about? The main reason for the inflation rise is the falling pound as a result of Brexit 

So who would your choice be to deliver the best deal for the country, Jeremy Corbyn, Tim Farron or maybe Paul Nuttall, these are the choices?

You got me there. I don't really like any of the above. Keir Starmer is young and dynamic. I think Brexit will go ahead regardless of who is elected and I think it's a myth that the Tories would do a better job than labour, May obviously wants everyone to believe that.

15 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Yeah yeah that is why they U-turned as soon as they realised they were paying a significant political price. They are so arrogant they thought they were immune to any crap, just spout strong and stable 1000 times and all would be OK. May is a coward, she hasn't even got the balls to appear in a debate and is sending her guard dog to battle. Is this the leader that is going to deliver the best deal for the country?

She's no Iron Lady that's for sure. The timing is almost exact This Lady is Not for Turning! Ha!

Our financial whiz  child of course means Community Charge, not "Poll Tax".  It's like the "Bedroom Tax". no such thing.

These are simply phrases made up by Lefties to try and make the tax sound much worse than it is. However, the Community Charge was Margaret Thatchers downfall. That and not knowing when to quit. If the IRA had not bombed the Grand Hotel, Norman Tebbit would have been Prime Minister and a damned good one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Thatcher went down precisely because she wasn't for turning. What ultimately got her was the poll tax. Advisors tried to get her to back off but she wouldn't. Theresa May has at least learned that sometimes a U-turn is in order, but some damage has been done and now parts of the electorate are belatedly beginning to realise that maybe Brexit is not going to be a free lunch wrapped in a Union Jack tupperware container.

What makes a lot of brexiters happy is that remaining isn't going to be a relatively short free lunch wrapped in a German flag :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nauseus said:

This has little to do with the EU or Brexit. Care costs for the aged have increased due to the fact that more people are just living longer. The UK average life expectancy is now 81+, up ten tears from the 71 average in 1960. This puts a lot of extra folk into the zone where they are likely to need more special care because that's commonly what happens when people reach 80+! The Tories see the need for extra funding soon, as the baby boomers near 70 and start to experience senior moments every millisecond. At least the Conservatives were up front about it and included it in their UK general election manifesto, when they must have known that it would be unpopular. I guess that Jeremy and Diane would just pay for it all for a while from their money tree, until the debt cripples the whole UK economy completely and then there would be no care at all.      

You can argue that all you wish, but the point remains that concerns about economic issues directly affecting families seriously impacted and reduced the Tory lead supposedly built up on non-economic issues. And on that note the forum hard Brexiteers are now unbalanced like a row of unhinged spinning tops. Lets just hope Theresa May can recover the situation but now the size of the majority is back in play and the Remainer Rabble's hopes are up again.

Edited by SheungWan

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

You can argue that all you wish, but the point remains that concerns about economic issues directly affecting families seriously impacted and reduced the Tory lead supposedly built up on non-economic issues. And on that note the forum hard Brexiteers are now unbalanced like a row of unhinged spinning tops. Lets just hope Theresa May can recover the situation but now the size of the majority is back in play and the Remainer Rabble's hopes are up again.

And the facts are that debt has increased under the Tories.

Even adjusted for inflation, public sector net debt rose £450 billion between 2010/11 and 2015/16, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility.

The government set deficit targets in 2010 (which it didn’t meet) and in 2015 (which it abandoned), Full Fact explain.
As a result, UK government debt has continued to rise.

And the solution to that is "withdraw from the EU", yep that should solve things.

• Like 2

The survey by ORB suggests that many voters share the concerns of pro-Europeans who claim the Prime Minister is seeking a “blank cheque” to take Britain out of the EU on whatever terms she decides. Some 68 per cent of people agree that she should spell out more of her Brexit plans before the election, while 12 per cent disagree and 20 per cent neither agree nor disagree.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-poll-theresa-may-brexit-plans-latest-majority-want-it-spelled-out-a7760691.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pitrevie said:

And the facts are that debt has increased under the Tories.

Even adjusted for inflation, public sector net debt rose £450 billion between 2010/11 and 2015/16, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility.

The government set deficit targets in 2010 (which it didn’t meet) and in 2015 (which it abandoned), Full Fact explain.
As a result, UK government debt has continued to rise.

And the solution to that is "withdraw from the EU", yep that should solve things.

And they are quite prepared to add the unknown cost of the withdrawal to the national debt. Not looking good for the younger generation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

And they are quite prepared to add the unknown cost of the withdrawal to the national debt. Not looking good for the younger generation.

Maybe if the younger generation had bothered to vote (figures show 64% didn't bother to cast their vote) maybe we would not be discussing this now?

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

Maybe if the younger generation had bothered to vote (figures show 64% didn't bother to cast their vote) maybe we would not be discussing this now?

Those young people are so irresponsible! In my day they were sent out, before dawn, to work down pits and if they weren't back, before tea-time with at least 6 dead stoats, they were given a good hiding! Brexit too good for them. They were good, them days.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johnyo said:

Yeah yeah yeah. At least I hope you're right about the balls bit.

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

I'm not retired. How very dare you ?

What ARE you on about? The main reason for the inflation rise is the falling pound as a result of Brexit 

I was on about the timing of the present rising trend in inflation - not the reasons for it - how very dare you too!

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Those young people are so irresponsible! In my day they were sent out, before dawn, to work down pits and if they weren't back, before tea-time with at least 6 dead stoats, they were given a good hiding! Brexit too good for them. They were good, them days.......

Sarcasm doesn't hide the fact that they were too apathetic to pull themselves away from their iphones and facebook.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

That may well be true but should't steps be taken to protect the interests of children.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That may well be true but should't steps be taken to protect the interests of children.

There may be many factors to consider, but at the end of the day they couldn't be bothered to vote, therefore the blame belongs to them, we cannot keep blaming other people for their lack of responibility.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Unhinged spinning Brexiteers! Rabbling Remainers! Now that everyone is upset we'll all need more health care!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Of course the rise in UK debt had nothing at all to do with the 2008 financial crisis! Spare us the numptynomics, please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

There may be many factors to consider, but at the end of the day they couldn't be bothered to vote, therefore the blame belongs to them, we cannot keep blaming other people for their lack of responibility.

Consider this, University Trinity Term ends 17 June. A little cynical to choose 8 June for the election? If you have been to Uni you would realise that the last week of term is not to be missed.....

Should be able to vote online actually.

49 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think that that's what a lot of mums and dads had in  mind when they voted to leave the EU.

Then those mums and dads are fools, sadly. Taking away the right to work anywhere in Europe is a crime which the younger generation will NOT forget.

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Consider this, University Trinity Term ends 17 June. A little cynical to choose 8 June for the election? If you have been to Uni you would realise that the last week of term is not to be missed.....

Should be able to vote online actually.

That depends if mummy and daddy are funding it or you have to yourself, work jobs etc. If so called educated people (at university) wouldn't vote because of celebrations, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed a vote in the first place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Then those mums and dads are fools, sadly. Taking away the right to work anywhere in Europe is a crime which the younger generation will NOT forget.

It hasn't been taken away yet.

However did we manage beforehand?

• Like 2