May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

10 hours ago, aright said:

No I don't.  "does not mean a great deal"?  If it didn't why do political parties use it as an economic indicator when it goes up or down. The great unwashed also look on it as an indicator as to how well the government is doing. Our current Government always talk unemployment figures when they are larging themselves because they have done so well. Corbyn only touches the figures if they go up significantly.

I also think comparisons between third and first world countries in some instances can be apples and eggs time. 

Que? Apples and eggs?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, elliss said:

Zero hour contracts soon to be the norm, shameful.  Civil servants, the brown tie brigade, of course will continue to be protected .

I fondly remember the days of company pensions  for the working man ,  thanks BP. 

Civil servants are not workers? zero hours contracts the norm? What? Company pension? Are you referring to defined benefit schemes only? Sloppy.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Que? Apples and eggs?

Yes . Sandy said 1.2% of people in Thailand were unemployed. I don't know who did the counting in Thailand was it independent or government run. In the UK these surveys are independent. Would you trust a survey done by the Zimbabwe or even the Chinese government? As a result, in third world countries, without independent counting, security and common standards, apples and eggs. I spend a lot of business time in India which claims 5% unemployed. Once again I don't know who did the counting but my business contacts tell me the Government creates 100's of thousands of jobs where people toil for 8 hrs sweeping leaves , watching holes in the pavement so people don't fall in etc and at the end of the day get paid enough money for a family evening meal. 5% is accurate maybe but unreal......apples and eggs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aright said:

Yes . Sandy said 1.2% of people in Thailand were unemployed. I don't know who did the counting in Thailand was it independent or government run. In the UK these surveys are independent. Would you trust a survey done by the Zimbabwe or even the Chinese government? As a result, in third world countries, without independent counting, security and common standards, apples and eggs. I spend a lot of business time in India which claims 5% unemployed. Once again I don't know who did the counting but my business contacts tell me the Government creates 100's of thousands of jobs where people toil for 8 hrs sweeping leaves , watching holes in the pavement so people don't fall in etc and at the end of the day get paid enough money for a family evening meal. 5% is accurate maybe but unreal......apples and eggs

I think you mean apples and pears.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:
1 hour ago, aright said:

I think you mean apples and pears.

And I think you mean apples and oranges:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_and_oranges

Or maybe you were using cockney rhyming slang in some oblique way :laugh:?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aright said:

No I don't.  "does not mean a great deal"?  If it didn't why do political parties use it as an economic indicator when it goes up or down. The great unwashed also look on it as an indicator as to how well the government is doing. Our current Government always talk unemployment figures when they are larging themselves because they have done so well. Corbyn only touches the figures if they go up significantly.

I also think comparisons between third and first world countries in some instances can be apples and eggs time. 

No figure or set of figures mean a great deal of anything in isolation, there must be meaningful context, which rules politicians out.

In the context of employment does it mean a great deal if you are still poor. The UK is working harder and getting nowhere.

Despite Theresa May's recent saying that she believed that work was "the best route out of poverty”, researchers at by Cardiff University found a record 60 per cent of those in poverty live in a household where someone is in employment. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-poverty-60-per-cent-working-families-uk-jobs-employed-study-tax-credits-housing-university-a7751201.html

13 hours ago, aright said:

I said no such thing so please get your facts right. I posted a link that indicated the unemployment rate in Thailand was in the order of 1.2%.

As usual you missed the point completely, it is totally irrelevant if the figure is accurate or not, like anything else it does not mean a great deal in isolation.

Well reality is now coming with a vengeance. Probably a further reduction in unemployment as the foreigners head for a friendlier environment.

Long term prospects will be very uncertain as the multinational scratch their heads.

Theresa May has warned the British public to prepare for crashing out of the EU with no deal, setting out emergency plans to avoid border meltdown for businesses and travellers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-theresa-may-warns-britain-prepare-david-davis-negotiations-brussels-a7991606.html?S2ref=1532332

Looks like the Treasury did get it wrong.

The OBR has been persistently over-optimistic about UK productivity growth since it began forecasting in 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-productivity-growth-latest-treasury-watchdog-forecaster-november-budget-public-finances-philip-a7992326.html

Makes you wonder if they are looking in the wrong direction

Anxiety and depression among workers in the UK has hit a record high, rising by nearly a third in the last four years, new figures reveal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/depression-uk-stats-figures-anxiety-record-high-a7991056.html?S2ref=1532332

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

Looks like the Treasury did get it wrong.

The OBR has been persistently over-optimistic about UK productivity growth since it began forecasting in 2010.

What ,

Civil  servants, never get it right ,no common sense, and  UK  workers pay their  salaries , and index linked , etc .

Give  me  a gun ..

Edited by elliss

Received today FYI:

Dear Evadgib,

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – "Another Scottish independence referendum should not be allowed to happen".

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/180642

The debate is scheduled for 13 November 2017.

Once the debate has happened, we'll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Happy for this to be moved if there's a better place for it.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

One rule for Brexit and another for the essential services.

Speaking in the House of Commons, Ms May was cheered by Brexit-backing MPs as she said: “Where money needs to be spent, it will be spent.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-philip-hammond-no-deal-spending-split-a7995616.html?S2ref=1532332

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-lord-lawson-philip-hammond-sacked-sabotage-irresponsible-chancellor-budget-eu-leave-a7996591.html

Lawson used to be good. Then he went on a diet and off the rails!

Received today FYI:

Dear Evadgib,

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – "Another Scottish independence referendum should not be allowed to happen".

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/180642

The debate is scheduled for 13 November 2017.

Once the debate has happened, we'll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,

The Petitions team

UK Government and Parliament

Happy for this to be moved if there's a better place for it.

Can’t really see the point of this as it seems a bit self defeating.

There was no option for a Scottish independence vote but now the whole issue will be debated in parliament which will be spun as a big win for the SNP. The only real option is for the govt to state that an independence vote will not take place under the current govt as they cannot bind future govts to such a decision which is already the current position. Any attempt to extend a block further than that would mean either a time period being defined which could be taken as giving a date for a future referendum or an indefinite block which would have the SNP shouting about oppression and being under the cosh of Westminster.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Right, before anyone starts, this is NOT off topic

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/rhodes-chapel-foreign-wedding-ban-sex-act-photo-british-couple-greek-island-a7998226.html

Sadly, we Brits are frequently considered louts by our neighbours. Just embarrassing. Past glories have been usurped by hooliganism, loutish behaviour and general "low rent" attitudes. No wonder the rest of the EU is ambivalent at best at us remaining ?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Right, before anyone starts, this is NOT off topic

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/rhodes-chapel-foreign-wedding-ban-sex-act-photo-british-couple-greek-island-a7998226.html

Sadly, we Brits are frequently considered louts by our neighbours. Just embarrassing. Past glories have been usurped by hooliganism, loutish behaviour and general "low rent" attitudes. No wonder the rest of the EU is ambivalent at best at us remaining ?

I can see your anti British but if your house is burgled, or you have been assaulted you will hope the  British Judiciary will take care of you. Don't worry they will. That's what they do. Luckily I was part of that. But they also realiase that the integration of the EU  is eroding this.  You can come with your anti UK rhetoric but most of Europe feels the same way. Claiming that the UK people are anti European just shows your lack of understanding.

Apparently Hitler was accused of the same in the 1930s

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I can see your anti British but if your house is burgled, or you have been assaulted you will hope the  British Judiciary will take care of you. Don't worry they will. That's what they do. Luckily I was part of that. But they also realiase that the integration of the EU  is eroding this.  You can come with your anti UK rhetoric but most of Europe feels the same way. Claiming that the UK people are anti European just shows your lack of understanding.

Apparently Hitler was accused of the same in the 1930s

I would hope the police would respond 

I'm not anti British, I'm embarrassed by British vulgar, yobbish behavior.

you'll have to explain the Hitler bit....

This feels like wack-a-mole frankly ?

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I would hope the police would respond 

I'm not anti British, I'm embarrassed by British vulgar, yobbish behavior.

you'll have to explain the Hitler bit....

This feels like wack-a-mole frankly ?

Yes the police would respond because they have the best judicial system in the EU and  others copy it. The Police and the Prison system is amazing and for me, a bit too liberal. I know I worked in it. British vulgar you sir need to know your roots, culture and your creed, You quite rightly complain about Islam but blame the UK for its increased  acceptance.

The Hitler bit I thought I wouldn't need to explain especially with you good intelligence.

Hitler and the German people actually hated the rest of Europe. French. Polish. Greeks. The UK always supported them and their independence. Maybe you should read a few more books  and understand this.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1