May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Where have all the Brex'trs gone? 

I have been in the Smoke for 2 days Christmas shopping

Firstly can I congratulate Mrs May(as I recall you said she would only last 6 weeks after the last election) Mr Davis and the negotiating team for concluding ( some said it couldn't be done at the beginning of the week) a process which will allow trade negotiations to proceed.

Remainers can mess about with the details all they want but the fact is they campaigned to stay in  the Union and that's not going to happen. As Mr Gove said today once we are in control all things are possible. We may not have got all the exit details we wanted but the most important thing was to leave and that's a demi fait accompli.

What will the Remainers do now. I suspect they will not climb aboard but will continue clinging to the side of the lifeboat waiting for their ultimate thrill ;a sinking, the very pleasurable  "I told you so" feeling. 

There is good reason for all Brexiteers to be cheerful, Mr Juncker confirmed yesterday what all brothers and sisters wanted to hear we will be leaving the EU in March 2019.

That won't give Remainers anything to cheer about.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, adammike said:

I have had a couple off suspensions,so I guess I better butt out of this thread and all things Brexit or it will be a ban.I will only stick my oar back in when I can say "I told you so".

AM....at least you are honest.

34 minutes ago, aright said:

Figures released on Thursday  showed improved export activity in every region of the UK according to data from HMRC. England's and Scotland's exports rose by 14% and 19.9% respectively.

Ruth Gregory of Capital Economics said surveys suggested "punchy" annual growth in export volumes should continue while import growth should slow with weaker consumer spending growth helping to shrink the gap between imports and exports. Amit Kara of NIesr said UK GDP growth remains supported by the dominant service sector as well as Industrial Production.

Industrial production output increased by 1.2% in the 3 months to October The single biggest area of growth was within transport equipment which grew by 9.3%. Of that Air and spacecraft manufacturing showed fierce expansion of 11.5%

Construction Showed a 1.7% contraction however record order levels have been reported for October. In the 3 months to October new orders rose by 37.4%. In the 3 months to October new housing orders grew by 4.1%

In November the Purchasing Managers Index scored 53.1 on a scale where anything over 50 is considered growth. 

Those numbers are indeed starting to look quite promising,  they're almost an incentive to remain in order that they keep improving. But actually, with a very very soft Brexit we are in effect remaining, it just means a very long walk to the door. All jibes and joking aside, I firmly believe that if we are to Brexit that a lengthy transition period is the only sensible way forward, a hard Brexit would have been economic suicide. I see that as a win win scenario for both camps although it's not the radical solution wanted by some, which is good, I think.

38 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Those numbers are indeed starting to look quite promising,  they're almost an incentive to remain in order that they keep improving. But actually, with a very very soft Brexit we are in effect remaining, it just means a very long walk to the door. All jibes and joking aside, I firmly believe that if we are to Brexit that a lengthy transition period is the only sensible way forward, a hard Brexit would have been economic suicide. I see that as a win win scenario for both camps although it's not the radical solution wanted by some, which is good, I think.

I don't think a soft Brexit means we are remaining permanently. It just means we will be remaining a little longer eg we will remain in the single market and customs union until 2021.What happens in 2021 will depend on what trade deals are possible between now and then. Michael Gove said today that after the 2 year transition  proposed by both sides Britain will have the "full freedom to diverge from EU law on the single market and customs union" 

2 hours ago, aright said:

Figures released on Thursday  showed improved export activity in every region of the UK according to data from HMRC. England's and Scotland's exports rose by 14% and 19.9% respectively.

Ruth Gregory of Capital Economics said surveys suggested "punchy" annual growth in export volumes should continue while import growth should slow with weaker consumer spending growth helping to shrink the gap between imports and exports. Amit Kara of NIesr said UK GDP growth remains supported by the dominant service sector as well as Industrial Production.

Industrial production output increased by 1.2% in the 3 months to October The single biggest area of growth was within transport equipment which grew by 9.3%. Of that Air and spacecraft manufacturing showed fierce expansion of 11.5%

Construction Showed a 1.7% contraction however record order levels have been reported for October. In the 3 months to October new orders rose by 37.4%. In the 3 months to October new housing orders grew by 4.1%

In November the Purchasing Managers Index scored 53.1 on a scale where anything over 50 is considered growth. 

And what does "weaker consumer spending spending growth" signify? 

5 hours ago, aright said:

I have been in the Smoke for 2 days Christmas shopping

Firstly can I congratulate Mrs May(as I recall you said she would only last 6 weeks after the last election) Mr Davis and the negotiating team for concluding ( some said it couldn't be done at the beginning of the week) a process which will allow trade negotiations to proceed.

Remainers can mess about with the details all they want but the fact is they campaigned to stay in  the Union and that's not going to happen. As Mr Gove said today once we are in control all things are possible. We may not have got all the exit details we wanted but the most important thing was to leave and that's a demi fait accompli.

What will the Remainers do now. I suspect they will not climb aboard but will continue clinging to the side of the lifeboat waiting for their ultimate thrill ;a sinking, the very pleasurable  "I told you so" feeling. 

There is good reason for all Brexiteers to be cheerful, Mr Juncker confirmed yesterday what all brothers and sisters wanted to hear we will be leaving the EU in March 2019.

That won't give Remainers anything to cheer about.

Actually, I think May has dealt with the DUP and the slavering Komodo wing rather well.

I am relieved that there will be no hard Brexit. Indeed you will not be able to get a cigarette paper between the "new deal" and the the status quo ante. (Except that we will be 50 Billion out of pocket at a time we can least afford it)

The true winners are the EU negotiators who, having done their home work, identified the key divorce issues, stuck to their guns and ran rings around that oaf "Mr Davis"

In short, I am reasonably content ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

According to my Belgian newspaper, the Irish problem has not been resolved, only postponed.

Is that correct?

A friendly word of advice, don't believe anything you read on the side of buses or Belgian newspapers. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aright said:

I don't think a soft Brexit means we are remaining permanently. It just means we will be remaining a little longer eg we will remain in the single market and customs union until 2021.What happens in 2021 will depend on what trade deals are possible between now and then. Michael Gove said today that after the 2 year transition  proposed by both sides Britain will have the "full freedom to diverge from EU law on the single market and customs union" 

But now the temperature looks less hot and cold and not withstanding the full freedom to walk out in the middle of the road in front of oncoming traffic, moderation is more likely to prevail or at least is in the driving seat for the moment.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

According to my Belgian newspaper, the Irish problem has not been resolved, only postponed.

Is that correct?

Well, it's all over Bar the shouting!

There will be no hard border separating NI from Eire. There will be no border down the Irish Sea.

That implies either staying in the Single Market and The Customs Union or the UK adopting a new deal which is as close to that as makes no difference.

We are remaining with the status quo for a 2 year (assumed) transition period before walking off the carpet onto the concrete. Not exactly a cliff edge I grant you. European Court on board for 10 years.

• Like 1

Well, it's all over Bar the shouting!

There will be no hard border separating NI from Eire. There will be no border down the Irish Sea.

That implies either staying in the Single Market and The Customs Union or the UK adopting a new deal which is as close to that as makes no difference.

We are remaining with the status quo for a 2 year (assumed) transition period before walking off the carpet onto the concrete. Not exactly a cliff edge I grant you. European Court on board for 10 years.

Worth bearing in mind that Norway, as a useful example of what is possible, has a hard border between itself and Sweden despite being in the single market and Schengen area since it is not in the Customs Union allowing it to set its own tariffs and do trade deals.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, Orac said:

Worth bearing in mind that Norway, as a useful example of what is possible, has a hard border between itself and Sweden despite being in the single market and Schengen area since it is not in the Customs Union allowing it to set its own tariffs and do trade deals.

The DUP will not allow it.

Thats why we need to stay in the customs union or damn close.

The DUP have killed Brexit! Hooray!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Orac said:

This is what the Norwegian PM says about the relationship with the EU:

(Can the brexiteers swallow their pride just as good as the Norwegians?)

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-referendum-look-before-you-leap-norways-pm-tells-brexiteers/

• Like 1

Finally. An admission that leaving the EU gives you a reasonable degree of contentment

I think he's content, to a reasonable degree, with the very soft Brexit, which is likely to be watered down even further, that is now on the table. As Gove has stated, a vote by the British public could still scupper the whole thing and we might be able to forget the disaster completely.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aright said:

err the 'Ireland question' will continue for ever and in order to have no hard border between the EU and NI will require a tariff free border. Ergo the UK continues in such an arrangement probably with a modified off the peg EEA type deal. So we have kicked the can down the road but as we approach the crunch point this issue will always rear it's head. So unless Eire leaves the EU then for all intents and purposes we won't. That is the clear , hard earned lesson of the last few days. Plus you need to realise that the negotiating team is literally hundreds of briefed to the eye balls civil servants - who will be Remainers as to every last man and woman and the Irish question is seared now into their DNA. Only a Trumpian like PM which won't happen in the UK would be able to fight such a force and engineer a swivel eyed , taking control back BREXIT. 

That said we are all worse off now just not as worse off as we could be and for that we should be grateful for small mercies. Cameron though still needs shooting for bringing this almighty mess down on the country and diverting a huge amount of energy and resources which are vitally needed to help Britain make it's way in what is becoming an ever darkening world. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1