May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/05/bank-england-admits-michael-fish-moment-dire-brexit-predictions/amp/

"He said: “We had foreseen a sharper slowdown in the economy than has happened, in common with almost every other mainstream macro forecaster. Why has that been the case? We need look no further than the behaviour of the British consumer, the British housing market.

“If you look at how the consumer performed during the course of the last year it’s almost as though the referendum had not taken place. In terms of the real things like pay and jobs not very much happened during the course of last year. It’s pretty much business as usual. The spending power in people’s pockets was not materially dented.”

:coffee1:

Pity you had to ignore the Guardian article and jump to The Telegraph which is behind a paywall and we are unable to confirm whether it included Haldane's remarks which the Guardian did referring to Haldane's conclusions. So let's include that as you wish to avoid:

".......has surprised to the upside. [There’s been] greater resilience, in particular among consumers and among the housing market, than we had expected. Has that led us to fundamentally change our view on the fortunes of the economy looking forward over the next several years? Not really.

“This is more a question, I think, of timing than of a fundamental reassessment of the fortunes of the economy. So back in November we published a forecast for inflation which was the highest we’ve ever published. And the forecast for growth in the UK economy, that was the lowest we have ever published."

Now go sit at the back of the class and stop jumping about.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The Guardian was my 'paper of choice back in the UK.

Unfortunately it's now as aggressively 'remain' as the Telegraph is 'leave' - which is great for those that are interested in extremely biased opinions, but (mostly) a waste of time and effort for those that prefer facts and unbiased opinions.

...is not an answer to my question....

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

German "puppet masters".

Oh dear.

One thing I truly underestimated when I started following various brexit threads, is the deep rooted racist hatred of some ancient Brits against the Germans.

That same feeling existed in most of Europe  when I was young, but as Europeans became more educated and more intelligent, that hatred slowly disappeared.

I remember hitch hiking in Norway in the 70's, with my big Belgian flag on my backpack. Not very successful - until a Norwegian advised me to remove the Belgian flag, as many Norwegians mistook it for the German flag. Nowadays many Norwegians in tourist areas speak German - in 40 years time the Nordmenn evolved, unlike some isolated islanders accross the Strait of Calais. I bet "German jokes" are still very popular over there.

Yes, really embarrassing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Nobody wants to advertise with them as so very few people read the it.

Circulation figures for UK press illustrates very nicely that education (literally) was one of the key causes of Brexit.

If you don't read or hear quality news how can you expect to know anything?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Sorry my life is not so sad that i look up "fact" about the guardian .

As you Brexiters appear to know so very little, sad would seem to be a fair summary

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

Professor Patric Minford has put together an excellent post-brexit model, but remainers refuse to accept it because it goes against their preferred, proven to be nonsense 'gravity' model.

Minford/s model was poo poo'ed by every thinking person on the planet, publically, it made him the laughing stock of the economics world, as we all know and has already been discussed in these pages.

"Mr Minford’s calculations are based on dubious assumptions". 

"Most economists say Brexit will hurt the economy—but one disagrees"

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21727078-patrick-minford-thinks-gdp-could-increase-68-most-economists-say-brexit-will-hurt

Edited by simoh1490
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

IMHO people need to read the same story in the Telegraph, Independent, Guardian etc and then read the same story again in the Express, Mail, Sun, Mirror etc and the truth will lie somewhere around the middle. That way you can read the biased comments of each and make your own mind up.

I am still not that sure about the mighty bastion of the truth that is called the BBC though.

I agree with the first half of what you wrote, I read the Independent, Telegraph and Guardian daily along with Bloomberg and others. But I refuse to read the Mail, Sun or Express for anything other than titillation, pictures and to understand what Luton man is thinking these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

As much as I want to see the Grauniad survive and prosper, those financial results can't be that good because they're still begging readers for money.

As you clearly don't read a quality paper you will not be aware of the changes in the British press largely due to the internet and social media based advertising. Many newspapers need to rely upon subscriptions which is a shame but understandable. I subscribe to The Economist. 

This also explains the increasingly shrill and populist crap that appears in the popular press. Tits, lies, anything to sell a rag. 

We used to have an excellent press. Embarrassing the way things have gone

I note that you coin the phrase "Grauniad", I would have thought Private Eye would be a little too intellectual for Brexiters :smile:

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, persimmon said:

People with overseas or Ftse 100  investments   are probably not too worried about a hard Brexit,in fact,many may be thinking " bring it on " ....as the fall in Sterling should be a positive factor.As regards the negotiations I think Mrs. May will be willing to agree to almost anything just to get an agreement,because she knows that Corbyn and marxist friends are waiting in the wings.

Pensioners on fixed income however, especially those outside the UK will rightly be worried.

• Like 1

Professor Patric Minford has put together an excellent post-brexit model, but remainers refuse to accept it because it goes against their preferred, proven to be nonsense 'gravity' model.

MINFORD???? You are joking I assume? Laughable incompetent! University of where again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persimmon said:

People with overseas or Ftse 100  investments   are probably not too worried about a hard Brexit,in fact,many may be thinking " bring it on " ....as the fall in Sterling should be a positive factor.As regards the negotiations I think Mrs. May will be willing to agree to almost anything just to get an agreement,because she knows that Corbyn and marxist friends are waiting in the wings.

Welcome Newbie! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

About Corbyn & marxist friends:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/26/a-labour-government-wouldnt-be-as-bad-as-brexit-claims-heseltine

Heseltine - HESELTINE - does not seem to be as worried about those commies as many posters here.

The article makes it v clear that Heseltine is so desperate for 'remain' - that he'd support the Labour party if necessary....

Edit - but I agree with the sarcasm towards 'commie' comments and wish posters would stop using these terms inappropriately.

Edited by dick dasterdly

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

German "puppet masters".

Oh dear.

One thing I truly underestimated when I started following various brexit threads, is the deep rooted racist hatred of some ancient Brits against the Germans.

That same feeling existed in most of Europe  when I was young, but as Europeans became more educated and more intelligent, that hatred slowly disappeared.

I remember hitch hiking in Norway in the 70's, with my big Belgian flag on my backpack. Not very successful - until a Norwegian advised me to remove the Belgian flag, as many Norwegians mistook it for the German flag. Nowadays many Norwegians in tourist areas speak German - in 40 years time the Nordmenn evolved, unlike some isolated islanders accross the Strait of Calais. I bet "German jokes" are still very popular over there.

Of course they are buddy, why are there so many tree lined avenues in continental Europe?, because the German army likes to march in the shade. They passed through your country twice. Less of the isolated nonsense too, there are 65 mil + and we were always taught foreigners begin at Calais.

Thatcher, or Jim Davidson?

Edited by phutoie2
Leo spillage
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I agree with the first half of what you wrote, I read the Independent, Telegraph and Guardian daily along with Bloomberg and others. But I refuse to read the Mail, Sun or Express for anything other than titillation, pictures and to understand what Luton man is thinking these days.

Then you read biased reports from one side only.

How can you counterbalance your bias without reading both sides of the story?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Of course they are buddy, why are there so many tree lined avenues in continental Europe?, because the German army likes to march in the shade. They passed through your country twice. Less of the isolated nonsense too, there are 65 mil + and we were always taught foreigners begin at Calais.

Sarcasm or bigotry?

Sometimes it is hard to tell.

PS. I know Thatcher Belgrano, but who is J Davidson?

21 hours ago, oldhippy said:

21 hours ago, oldhippy said:

German "puppet masters".

Oh dear.

'the deep rooted racist hatred of some ancient Brits against the Germans.'

That is an inappropriate remark considering we are both from the same Anglo  Saxon 'tribe'.  The 'racial hatred' red card is offensive and can not be justified.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hang on a minute - I was unfortunate enough to live in (or nearby) to Luton for a while.  It's turned into an appalling place with certain areas entirely devoid of any 'white faces'.  This sounds equally appalling - except those areas are now the home of many Brit hating, moslem radicals.

But this has nothing to do with the EU.

Nonetheless your derogatory comment about 'what the Luton man is thinking these days' annoyed me as I'm sure you know nothing about the area, and so have no understanding as to why so many locals have become racist.

QUOTE: But this has nothing to do with the EU.

Exactly.

It has all to do with your country's glorious past, that Brexiteers are so eager to restore.

555 I am relieved that after brexit, those muslim Brits that you talk about will no longer have the right to freely  come to Europe.

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sarcasm or bigotry?

Sometimes it is hard to tell.

PS. I know Thatcher Belgrano, but who is J Davidson?

James Cameron Davidson, OBE (born 13 December 1953) is an English comedian and presenter. 

Davidson has become known for his use of controversial jokes about women, ethnic minorities, gay people and disabled people, although he denies accusations that he is prejudiced against these groups.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Davidson

8 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

'the deep rooted racist hatred of some ancient Brits against the Germans.'

That is an inappropriate remark considering we are both from the same Anglo  Saxon 'tribe'.  The 'racial hatred' red card is offensive and can not be justified.

OK - so with what word  would you typify this bigoted hatred?

57 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Yes clearly the German armed forces pose a major threat to the rest of Europe.

German Military Called 'Overstretched, Underfunded

https://www.defensenews.com/home/2016/01/26/german-military-called-overstretched-underfunded/

Germany’s Entire Submarine Fleet Is Out of Commission

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a14480191/germanys-entire-submarine-fleet-is-out-of-commission/

Where do you get your news from? Old movies?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

In my experience, nobody in recent years bore any animosity towards the Germans - until brexit :sad:.

It is depressing/worrying that brexit has brought up all the old animosities and grievances, as the German led EU plays the 'punishment' card :sad: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

'Bigoted hatred' of Germans is nonsense, we may make jokes about them in the same way as we do the Scots, Welsh, and Irish. We are more likely to envy and admire them..Thats why the Brits buy so many of their cars, machinery, wine. and Bechsteins... Made in Germany..the mark of excellence in the UK.  Cool out and pet your dog.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

This would be the 'Liverpool' model which opposed the minimum wage and predicted that millions of unemployed would be created as a result of the introduction of the minimum wage. Not that forum Brexiteers are remotely interested. All that they know is that there is one academic on their side. Pity the theory doesn't hold up. For a good debunk read here: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/the-britain-alone-scenario-how-economists-for-brexit-defy-the-laws-of-gravity/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

'Bigoted hatred' of Germans is nonsense, we may make jokes about them in the same way as we do the Scots, Welsh, and Irish. We are more likely to envy and admire them..Thats why the Brits buy so many of their cars, machinery, wine. and Bechsteins... Made in Germany..the mark of excellence in the UK.  Cool out and pet your dog.

Do you actually read the posts on this and other brexit threads?

59 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hang on a minute - I was unfortunate enough to live in (or nearby) to Luton for a while.  It's turned into an appalling place with certain areas entirely devoid of any 'white faces'.  This sounds equally appalling - except those areas are now the home of many Brit hating, moslem radicals.

But this has nothing to do with the EU.

Nonetheless your derogatory comment about 'what the Luton man is thinking these days' annoyed me as I'm sure you know nothing about the area, and so have no understanding as to why so many locals have become racist.

Nothing to do with the EU ? The whole flavour of the above very much to do with the Brexiteers.

• Like 1