May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

39 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If the EU insist on similar terms to those 'enjoyed' by the other non EU EEA members, it may well be!

For example, Norway contributes more per head of population to the EU than the UK ever has!

But, not being an EU member, has zero say over how that money is spent.

The economic argument against Brexit was a strong one, but it was mishandled by Cameron and Osborne, such that they were smeared by the 'project fear' slur ... I suspect that British business is reminding the likes of Davis and May that the economic impact of hard brexit would have negative consequences.

More Brexiteer lies unravelling!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

EU laws generally are subject to a voting process and do not require unanimity.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/

This. And more on voting in the EU:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/council-eu/voting-system/qualified-majority/

Which to me seems a very reasonable method of making sure that one member state cannot be picked on but neither can one or two member states act like spoiled brats and block everything untill they get it entirely their way. So, a good attempt and making sure that the effects of votes are as fair and balanced as possible. Nobody really would fancy the idea of a Brussels dictatorship or one certain EU members being abused or getting their way each and every time at the costs of others. 

Doesn't mean that the EP, council etc. works perfect, tweaking Brussels certainly should be kept on the agenda but the way the EU operates certainly isn't bad either if you ask me. 

4 hours ago, Orac said:

Given that a free trade agreement would benefit the EU more than us, they should be paying us.

Teresa should sack Davis and put someone with some brains in his place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Given that a free trade agreement would benefit the EU more than us, they should be paying us.

Teresa should sack Davis and put someone with some brains in his place.

As I have speculated previously, the hard brexiteers professed loyalty to the government and individual members would unravel faster than the speed of light at first sniff of soft brexit deal making. And Lo! It Comes To Pass.......

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

As I have speculated previously, the hard brexiteers professed loyalty to the government and individual members would unravel faster than the speed of light at first sniff of soft brexit deal making. And Lo! It Comes To Pass.......

What happened to "get behind the Government"? No doubt 'rent-a-quote' Farage will be up in arms ... first he wants to March on the Supreme Court, now it will be Downing St ... he's all for parliamentary democracy and the rule of law ... as long as it does what he wants! :cheesy:

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Welcome to Brexit Britain ... er, if you're white!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3990264/Police-investigating-racist-posters-telling-people-entering-whites-zone-plastered-Home-Counties-market-town.html

... all the nasty xenophobes think they have a 'free pass' to behave like this after this vote!

Nothing to do with Brexit!

It's a coincidence!

Can I be horrified yet? Do I still have to fit in and follow the majority? ?

26 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Nothing to do with Brexit!

It's a coincidence!

Can I be horrified yet? Do I still have to fit in and follow the majority? ?

Sorry, I read the article and couldn't find any mention of brexit. You guys trawl the net looking for any old hate speech/crime nowadays so that you can claim imaginary links to brexit. How sad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Sorry, I read the article and couldn't find any mention of brexit. You guys trawl the net looking for any old hate speech/crime nowadays so that you can claim imaginary links to brexit. How sad.

Sorry Han, your credibility is gone now. Too many holes for you to cover. The country has opened a nasty streak as a result of the Brexit rhetoric and propaganda. Way too many coincidences now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Look, I know you're on a bit of a roll because there's been a bit of sounding out about a soft brexit, but you need to take a few deep breaths and calm down. You and the other remainers on these threads are getting ever-more shrill and hysterical. It's like trying to have a debate with a bunch of women having a particularly bad 'time of the month' :laugh:. Meanwhile, nobody cares about your anti-British/English rants or your fantasies about a country filled with hate. Life just goes on as normal for everyone, and the miniscule minority of haters are getting a bit of publicity. It'll all quieten down again soon enough:coffee1:.

"But.....but.....Jo Cox.....she was murdered by brexit!!!"

Sorry Han, you've lost it. Bye!

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Sorry Han, you've lost it. Bye!

I've lost it? Says the man who hates England and the English masses. The big mystery is why he posts at all about a country he despises, never mind posting so emotionally/hysterically.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I've lost it? Says the man who hates England and the English masses. The big mystery is why he posts at all about a country he despises, never mind posting so emotionally/hysterically.

Bye bye Han, bye bye.....

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Look, I know you're on a bit of a roll because there's been a bit of sounding out about a soft brexit, but you need to take a few deep breaths and calm down. You and the other remainers on these threads are getting ever-more shrill and hysterical. It's like trying to have a debate with a bunch of women having a particularly bad 'time of the month' :laugh:. Meanwhile, nobody cares about your anti-British/English rants or your fantasies about a country filled with hate. Life just goes on as normal for everyone, and the miniscule minority of haters are getting a bit of publicity. It'll all quieten down again soon enough:coffee1:.

"But.....but.....Jo Cox.....she was murdered by brexit!!!"

I guess playing a misogyny card is a next best thing to the you know what.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Welcome to Brexit Britain ... er, if you're white!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3990264/Police-investigating-racist-posters-telling-people-entering-whites-zone-plastered-Home-Counties-market-town.html

... all the nasty xenophobes think they have a 'free pass' to behave like this after this vote!

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

There's always the fall-back position that the perpetrators were mentally ill.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

David Davis reported in the BBC confirming that the UK may well continue contributing to the EU budget in exchange for market access. A tweet from Laura Kuensberg on BBC news app. 

That will go down well! 

This was pretty obvious from the start...Norway has been paying nearly as much per capita into the EU as the UK.

I read where it is thought possible the UK may wish to pay for access to the single market, just wondering how the usual suspects feel that would impact their argument on the cost front, you know, the 55 bill of paid up capital plus the monthly subs?

EDIT: sorry, just realised that's hypothetical and I know you don't do hypothetical, forget the question!

Edited by chiang mai

15 hours ago, Loeilad said:

EU Bureacracy???

Those thinking that leaving the EU will reduce bureaucracy are in for a nasty surprise 

Quite apart from the extra civil servants needed, anyone who has shipped  goods to Europe in the 70s or 80s will tell you.

Quite, but it will be shrugged off as a minor inconvenience.

In 1979, I personally took some orthopedic ovens to a company in the south of France. A mountain of paperwork before leaving and on arrival plus a chunk of money but at no time did a customs officer either UK or French look at the goods.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

I read where it is thought possible the UK may wish to pay for access to the single market, just wondering how the usual suspects feel that would impact their argument on the cost front, you know, the 55 bill of paid up capital plus the monthly subs?

EDIT: sorry, just realised that's hypothetical and I know you don't do hypothetical, forget the question!

I take it you are referring to the ECB, it is 55 million Euros of paid up capital out of a total of 7.7 billion.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

I take it you are referring to the ECB, it is 55 million Euros of paid up capital out of a total of 7.7 billion.

Sorry yes, my typo - but the question still stands (for those that can do hypothetical) in respect of the weekly/monthly payment made by the UK to the EU.

2 hours ago, Loeilad said:

This was pretty obvious from the start...Norway has been paying nearly as much per capita into the EU as the UK.

What does Norway *actually* pay and how much is the trade they do with EU worth?  All this rubbish about "per capita" is totally irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Sorry yes, my typo - but the question still stands (for those that can do hypothetical) in respect of the weekly/monthly payment made by the UK to the EU.

The Bank of England has to pay 7% of subscribed capital per annum towards the running of the ECB not the EU, on 55 million that would be just under 4 million Euros. As a non Euro country contributions are minimal.

It begs the questions, does leaving the EU mean leaving the ECB? How can you maintain 'passporting' if not in the ECB?

• Like 2

Is the real cost of brexit beginning to show?

Ireland's central bank has been receiving applications for licences from UK authorised financial firms seeking to relocate from London in the wake of the UK vote to leave the EU, a top official said on Thursday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-single-market-irish-central-bank-uk-finance-firms-ireland-licence-applications-a7450221.html

On 11/30/2016 at 4:20 PM, dick dasterdly said:

True, but being practical in politicians' terms, that means nothing.

I expect (but obviously don't know) that (assuming the EU doesn't collapse in the meantime) the Brit. govt. will come up with a 'deal' that is very close to the current arrangement as it suits their interests.

And then call another referendum based on 'this is the best deal possible'.  Whether this tactic will work or not is unknown.

Time will tell.

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I may be missing something here - but you're agreeing with my earlier post?

7 hours ago, Khun Han said:

A tiny xenophobic group put up a poster, and that somehow represents everyone who voted brexit..... :sad:

Although (to be fair), I'm willing to accept that the brexit vote gave impetus to the tiny percentage of those who are xenophobic.

• Like 1